Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Voluntary Upgrade, Will you do it?

Sig0431

Interestingly my X5 is the only one I've received a tag for. Is Sig doing it by registration date or model type?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Someone on ar15.com is posting that they already have a return confirmation from SIG. His turnaround time was only a couple days.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/21/2017 at 6:27 AM, Tokarev said:

Someone on ar15.com is posting that they already have a return confirmation from SIG. His turnaround time was only a couple days.

According to a couple of folks on the Sig forums they are reporting 48 hour turn around time.... Not sure if the initial batch was quick or if this is the ongoing trend but mine arrived at Sig last week Friday so I guess I'll know in a couple of days.....

According to a couple of folks on the Sig forums they are reporting 48 hour turn around time.... Not sure if the initial batch was quick or if this is the ongoing trend but mine arrived at Sig last week Friday so I guess I'll know in a couple of days.....
Mine's been there since Wednesday of last week.

I took mine to Fedx on Monday.  It's on it's way back already and is supposed to be delivered on Monday.  Can't complain about that, Sig somewhat redeemed themselves.  We'll see what the trigger pull is like when it comes back.  That's why I purchased it in the first place.  

Has anyone heard anything from Gray Guns about the PELT triggers?  I received their e-mail, but nothing after that.  I still have one that was never installed.

Edited by Blue Jacket

On 10/27/2017 at 11:36 AM, Blue Jacket said:

I took mine to Fedx on Monday.  It's on it's way back already and is supposed to be delivered on Monday.  Can't complain about that, Sig somewhat redeemed themselves.  We'll see what the trigger pull is like when it comes back.  That's why I purchased it in the first place.  

Has anyone heard anything from Gray Guns about the PELT triggers?  I received their e-mail, but nothing after that.  I still have one that was never installed.

How is that new trigger? I had to call in my repair, wouldn't let me do it online. No word yet on when, no email, no shipping label. Called yesterday and they had entered my email wrong... oh well no biggie. Hopefully the repairs/new parts will help with the trigger pull, etc. Verdict still out if I will keep it or sell it, gonna wait to see how I like the changes. 

Trigger looks like it is now made out of tin.  It's really thinned down.  I will say the trigger pull is still good.  I was presently surprised.  I have only dry fired it.  Haven't had a chance to get to the range though.   

3GLewie I haven't decided if I am going to sell mine either.  I recently purchased a CZ PCR since I shoot a shadow in production.  Closer platforms for me.

Edited by Blue Jacket

Got my X5 back on Friday. Same slide and parts. Upgrade as advertised. The trigger seemed a bit smoother with no grittiness. Measured the pull with a Lyman gage and it was within fractions an ounce of what it was before. I'm happy. X-carry next when I get the paperwork.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:41 AM, BeltFed said:

I was having trouble registering for the upgrade on the computer, so I had to do it by phone. No real issues.

I'm waiting for the M17 to hit the shelves now.

1 month, and still waiting.

Got my notice that Sig was ready for my pistols, but no pdf, or shipping label. Thought it might be a computer problem on my end. Called Sig and asked them to change my e-mail address to my work e-mail. They said it may be a day before I hear back. 4 days went by and nothing, so I called them again. They said FedEx was running behind and it could be a week before I get the label. Its over a week now and nothing.

6 hours ago, BeltFed said:

1 month, and still waiting.

Got my notice that Sig was ready for my pistols, but no pdf, or shipping label. Thought it might be a computer problem on my end. Called Sig and asked them to change my e-mail address to my work e-mail. They said it may be a day before I hear back. 4 days went by and nothing, so I called them again. They said FedEx was running behind and it could be a week before I get the label. Its over a week now and nothing.

On October 3rd I received an email from sig stating that I had successfully registered for the voluntary upgrade program. On October 23rd received another email from sig that included the FedEx label and mailing instructions. I mailed the P320 in on October 26th-2 day air. On November 3rd (yesterday) I received an email from sig with a FedEx shipping notification returning to me (2-day) air on November 7th.  That seems pretty fast considering the 4-6 week turnaround sig stated in there shipping instructions??  Just FYI

My X5 came back today. I ran 20 rounds through it.

The trigger on mine is right at five pounds, just like before the upgrade, but it is a little grittier. Not bad just not as good as I remember. Also I think the reset is a little longer. Again, not bad but not like I remember.

When I attended the 1-day P320 armorers class I asked about the upgrade and the difference between the civilian and military triggers. Our instructor said the 320 was originally built to pass SAAMI drop tests. The gun was later modified to pass a more rigorous military drop test and that's the design they're using now. SIG was planning on eventually going to the military parts across the product line eventually. This whole upgrade thing just sped up that decision.

1 hour ago, Tokarev said:

My X5 came back today. I ran 20 rounds through it.

The trigger on mine is right at five pounds, just like before the upgrade, but it is a little grittier. Not bad just not as good as I remember. Also I think the reset is a little longer. Again, not bad but not like I remember.

When I attended the 1-day P320 armorers class I asked about the upgrade and the difference between the civilian and military triggers. Our instructor said the 320 was originally built to pass SAAMI drop tests. The gun was later modified to pass a more rigorous military drop test and that's the design they're using now. SIG was planning on eventually going to the military parts across the product line eventually. This whole upgrade thing just sped up that decision.

Can you post some pictures of the upgraded X5 trigger.  I'm considering sending mine back.

1 hour ago, epault said:

Can you post some pictures of the upgraded X5 trigger.  I'm considering sending mine back.

I got my X5 back last week - as far as I could tell it is the same trigger plus everything that SIG has written / told is that for the X-Series 320s - the physical Trigger is NOT changed nor is the Striker assy changed (it is already the lightweight [skeltonized] striker).

Edited by Jet1945

5 hours ago, epault said:

As Jet posted, there is no external visible change.  

The double click is gone but the trigger is still five pounds just as it was before.  It is now slightly gritty but I'm hoping that'll go away with some use.  

On 11/7/2017 at 2:45 AM, Tokarev said:

As Jet posted, there is no external visible change.  

The double click is gone but the trigger is still five pounds just as it was before.  It is now slightly gritty but I'm hoping that'll go away with some use.  

That's interesting.... mine is smoother than it was before the upgrade... no grit at all..... My second 320 arrived this afternoon and I haven't had a chance to open the box yet.

I wonder if they need to be properly cleaned and lubed before use? Perhaps some gunk got in it when they were working on it?

Got my FredsEx labels yesterday, so they should be going out today.

The e-mail I got with the labels said to include all magazines with the pistol, but the first e-mail said not to include any magazines. Does anybody have any experience with this?

On 10/24/2017 at 3:50 AM, spiritfox said:

Got my labels last week and dropped off my 320C, RX and X5 yesterday at FedEx. So we’ll see....

Why did you send in your X5?  What are they going to do to it?  It has a low-mass trigger, a low-mass striker.  Just wondering what you think they may change...

Why did you send in your X5?  What are they going to do to it?  It has a low-mass trigger, a low-mass striker.  Just wondering what you think they may change...

Part of the upgrade is the change from a trigger actuated disconnector to a slide actuated disconnector. Combined with lower mass trigger, striker and sear. These are supposed to make the gun quite a bit safer without really changing the feel of the gun from the shooter standpoint. The only real change is the loss of the double click.

As I mentioned; when I attended 320 Armorer class the instructor said the original 320 was tested in accordance with SAAMI recommended drop tests. Later, when the gun was submitted to the Army, it was re-designed to pass a more rigorous military drop test. This is supposedly where the new parts came from. From what I recall the Army test is from the height of an Abrams tank.

According to the instructor, SIG had always planned to roll the newer trigger parts over to the civilian side of the house at some point. Probably once existing stores of old parts had been used up. Then the Omaha Outdoors video came out and SIG was forced to change ahead of schedule.

So why upgrade? There may not be any reason to since SIG seems to be holding fast to the claim that the 320 is SAAMI drop safe. Still, I figured most people will want the newer safer trigger parts. If I decide to sell or trade off my X5 for whatever reason it should have more value with the new trigger.

Just received my 3 back today. 2 weeks from shipped to home in AZ which is pretty quick considering how many they have to modify.

Trigger is not as good on any of them. Feels mushy/gritty and there is a noticeable catch as the trigger resets. The reset is longer as well. I almost wish I hadn't sent my production P320 back the trigger was very good on it (out of the box) now not so much. Love the P320 but I'm disappointed in my triggers considering all 3 were good and the one I used in production was excellent. I'll try to shoot them tomorrow then relube and see if they smooth out.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:15 AM, Sig0431 said:

And you don't consider dropping your weapon to be user error or carlessness? I am in the military and if you drop your weapon and it fires it would be considered a ND because your inability to maintain positive control of said firearm was the cause. 

Now back to the actual topic of this post...

i did not send any mags back...
Got mine back yesterday and the trigger feels better than before...i had a stock trigger in mine before...

Just received my 3 back today. 2 weeks from shipped to home in AZ which is pretty quick considering how many they have to modify.
Trigger is not as good on any of them. Feels mushy/gritty and there is a noticeable catch as the trigger resets. The reset is longer as well. I almost wish I hadn't sent my production P320 back the trigger was very good on it (out of the box) now not so much. Love the P320 but I'm disappointed in my triggers considering all 3 were good and the one I used in production was excellent. I'll try to shoot them tomorrow then relube and see if they smooth out.

Try adding a few drops of oil to the trigger parts and then shoot a couple hundred rounds. I imagine the trigger will smooth up a bit.