Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Voluntary Upgrade, Will you do it?

Sig0431

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, BeltFed said:

OK, I found the new page, put in my serial number, and that's all it would take. It asked for a SKU, what the heck is a SKU? It wouldn't let me type anything after the serial number.

Enter the serial number and click the "Validate Serial Number" button.   It's the next thing on the form. Once you validate an eligible number, the SKU and rest of form comes up.

19 hours ago, PatJones said:

Except for 1911s and 2011s with a 70 series firing system, but we don't see too many of those in USPSA matches.

Fair point. The 320 has been on the market since '14 and, on a basis of SIG's press release, they are aware of four live ammo drop discharges within the last year. Is that about the rate you see the 1911/2011 go off when dropped?

I'll be filling out the form later tonight after work, I had planned to start doing my first competitions soon, depending on when and how long it takes I may be buying a second pistol to use in competitions. Oh well more is better right?

I registered both of mine.  Though I have to be honest, I will probably sell them both once I get them back from SIG.  I couldn't sell them now with a clean conscious with that defect.  

For me dumping them is principle.  SIG had to have know about this for some time, otherwise why did the govt pistols and the new X5 already have the new FCU.  

Good thing I shoot CZ in USPSA and 3 gun  competitions.  I am pretty sure I'll never buy a SIG again.

I do wonder how the trigger pull will be effected with the upgrade.  That's why I purchased them in the first place.  It will also be be interesting to see how Bruce Gray handles this, I have two of his triggers that now have questionable value.  One is still in the bag.  Apex is doing good by consumers and offering a refund or at least a credit toward another product.  I had one of their flat triggers in my parts bin.  

Time will tell, and from what I hear about SIG it could be awhile.  Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket, 3 pistols recalled in on year.  I have a Ruger MK IV, though its back from them already.  Had a very positive experience on that repair.  Ruger probably only had it 10 days.

2 hours ago, Blue Jacket said:

For me dumping them is principle.  SIG had to have know about this for some time, otherwise why did the govt pistols and the new X5 already have the new FCU.  

I think that SIG had been chasing drop safety improvements but they only found out about the negative 30 degree vulnerability the same time that the rest of the world did. 

I understand that mentality and sympathise with it. But if you were happy with the gun before all this started I wouldn't get rid of it just yet. All that'll probably do is give a good deal to whomever buys it.

I don't have all the particulars nor can I freely share them here but a certainly agency has some version of the improved trigger in the gun that passed their contract trials. I do not know what's different about it exactly or if it is the same trigger as used in the XM17. This agency's trigger has an active disconnector that keeps the striker from releasing if the slide is out of battery. This was one of the agency's requirements and was added at their request.

I am well acquainted with one of the people who conducted the agency trials and he says there is no issue that they found in drop testing the gun and he has no concerns with it as tested with the agency trigger.

Take that for what it is worth and it really does not mean much since it is just some dude posting on the net. I guess my point is SIG has been working on the 320 since release and is trying to make it the one gun that can satisfy multiple users.

With that said they could have known about the -30 degree failure and tried to cover it up. If that's true the facts will come out eventually and SIG will likely have a huge class action lawsuit on its hands. I hope that's simply not the case.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I bought mine used and got this message when I went to validate my serial number, guess I'll have to wait a few days, I had always thought mine was originally purchased through a LEO purchase program since it cake with 3 mags and night sights and now I have confirmation.

"It seems your serial number is associated with SIG SAUER product specific to Law Enforcement, Government or International programs. Please refer to the FAQ for more information"

A few things to consider about the upgrade. 

The X5 essentially ships with 2/3 enhancements already in place. This, combined with the change in impact angle introduced by the longer beavertail, may account for why the YouTube scientists were not able to get it to drop fire. 

The X5 already has the skeletonized striker and, while not as light as the new redesigned trigger, it has a lighter trigger. 

The final modification that SIG plans to make is adding a slide actuated disconnector. This will help to eliminate tolerances differences that have lead to some P320s having a more pronounce "double click." In fact, it will likely eliminate the second click altogether which will make an update P320 a bit less interesting for dry fire. You might want to keep one setup unmodified for dry fire use. Not having to rely on a trigger actuated disconnect should enable you to shorten the reset an improve the performance of the trigger in live fire overall. This is all my assessment, not information gained from elsewhere. 

Just received via email:

As you may have heard, last week SIG SAUER[emoji768] published a press release concerning the P320. They noted “dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.” We independently evaluated the information, and there is some merit to claims that some P320s may unintentionally discharge after being dropped at a specific angle.

Our records indicate you have purchased either a straight or curved version of our Practical Enhanced Leverage Trigger (PELT) for the P320.

Stock P320s with our trigger installed may still unintentionally discharge if dropped at an angle not tested as part of the accepted standards as defined by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI[emoji768]), or National Institute of Justice (NIJ).

On Monday, SIG SAUER announced details about their voluntary upgrade program. The program includes installation of an alternate design that reduces the physical weight of the trigger, sear, and striker while additionally adding a mechanical disconnector.

Grayguns suggests you send your P320 to SIG SAUER for the voluntary upgrade.

Prior to sending the gun, remove your Grayguns trigger and include the stock trigger in the package sent to SIG SAUER. Retain your Grayguns trigger.

Our team - in consultation with our engineering partners at SIG SAUER - is working to develop an alternative design that will be compatible with your upgraded P320 and provide you with the same value you received from Grayguns when you made your original purchase of the PELT. As this process will take some time to research, develop, and test, we thank you in advance for your patience.

Remember, consequences for the handling or misuse of any firearm are the operator’s sole responsibility. Safe gun handling practices should be practiced at all times. Never rely upon any mechanical device for your safety.

Details concerning the SIG SAUER P320 voluntary upgrade program are available online.

If you have any questions, you can contact Grayguns via email.

Regards,

Bruce Gray
President, Grayguns

2 hours ago, f2benny said:

I thought the X5 was not part of the VU. People are sending X5s back?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The X5 would likely get the redesigned disconnector system. 

Not sending mine in.

As for the folks that are saying it's unsafe because it can unintentionally go off if dropped at a certain angle, have you ever thought about the Limited and Open 2011's that have the grip safeties pinned? IMO, the chances of a gun going off when dropped is higher with 2011's with pinned grip safeties than the P320's

Not sending mine in.

As for the folks that are saying it's unsafe because it can unintentionally go off if dropped at a certain angle, have you ever thought about the Limited and Open 2011's that have the grip safeties pinned? IMO, the chances of a gun going off when dropped is higher with 2011's with pinned grip safeties than the P320's
I believe you're correct.

1 hour ago, Quack said:

Not sending mine in.

That is only a small part of the picture.  Do you know if the problem becomes more prevalent with wear...or does it stay the same?  We see 1911/2011s start to double, or worse with wear of the sear.