Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Voluntary Upgrade, Will you do it?

Sig0431

20 hours ago, Tokarev said:

So, again, why would someone NOT participate?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1. Inconvenience - Just packing and getting it to shipper is a hassle.  Same goes for being home on a weekday to catch the delivery guy on return.

2.  Cost - Is Sig going to pay shipping and insurance cost both ways?  That's a $100+ per gun.

3.  Time - Despite promises of a quick turn-around, Sig's track record in this regard is not good.  Two weeks have turned into six months with other Sig fixes/upgrades.

4.  Is it really necessary?  Risk is close to zero.  There are a lot of other guns we use that are far more "unsafe" than the 320.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Inconvenience - Just packing and getting it to shipper is a hassle.  Same goes for being home on a weekday to catch the delivery guy on return.

Inconvenience yes. But not insurmountable. FedEx will hold the gun at the terminal for customer pickup. Or, as has happened with me, they have arranged for weekend delivery.

2.  Cost - Is Sig going to pay shipping and insurance cost both ways?  That's a $100+ per gun.

Nobody knows yet who's going to pick up the bill or what parts will need to be returned. Some other forums are all up in arms about paying but it is just rumor feeding rumor at this point.

3.  Time - Despite promises of a quick turn-around, Sig's track record in this regard is not good.  Two weeks have turned into six months with other Sig fixes/upgrades.

Again we don't know what the plan is. If it is a simple trigger replacement that should go fairly quickly. Heck, the 320 is pretty simple so the whole thing should go pretty quickly. That's of course if SIG has a stock of parts and has the manpower to make it happen.

4.  Is it really necessary?  Risk is close to zero.  There are a lot of other guns we use that are far more "unsafe" than the 320.

That's the biggest unknown. Yes the standard gun appears to meet SAAMI drop tests but the damage is done. I don't think non-upgraded guns will have much resale value. Yeah I know you don't ever plan on selling your 320 but life happens.

The new parts are also supposed to reduce the double click so you'll get a "safer" pistol with a better trigger. Again that's rumor since we won't know until tomorrow what SIG's plan is.

6 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I'm sure I'll catch heat for this, but...

This pretty much sums up my feeling on it.

If you just look at the numbers... out of the MILLIONS of different angles that the 320 can hit the ground if dropped, they found (I'll even give it a 10 degree range) 10 angles that can cause a discharge. 

The number of 320's in circulation since 2014 (500,000) vs the number of drop fires reported (3-4?).

I'll take those odds.... but the great thing is, if you feel otherwise, Sig will change parts for you. Just send it in. 

Edited by MadhatRR

... No gun that enters a match is known a priori as not safe to drop at any obscure angle in its stock form. Except for the P320...

Except for 1911s and 2011s with a 70 series firing system, but we don't see too many of those in USPSA matches.

Yes. Just went online and completed the required info. Just enter your serial number and shipping address.

Now another wait begins. The SIG website says I will be contacted at a later date via email with shipping instructions and a prepaid label.

I sent in the serial numbers for both of my 320's.... Here is the note I received once I submitted everything:

"You will receive an email from SIG SAUER at a later date that will include a prepaid shipping label and instructions to return your P320 pistol and any P320 caliber exchange kits that you have. It may take many weeks for you to receive this next communication, but we won’t forget about you (SIG will not begin the upgrade process for a few weeks as we prepare to make this upgrade). Once your P320 is shipped and received at SIG SAUER, the turnaround time will be approximately 4 – 6 weeks. This lengthy process is due to the high volume of pistols in the marketplace. Transit times may vary depending on your geographic location and receipt of your returned pistol. In the meantime, your SIG SAUER pistol is safe to carry and use as originally configured from the factory."

At a minimum we could be looking at 2+ months before anyone get's their pistol back........ 

Edited by S391

2 hours ago, racerwong said:

While the estimated turn around time is nothing to be excited about, I have to say that I am very impressed that Sig is picking up all shipping costs. Now the one thing that I do not like is that they provided next to no information as to what will be replaced and or modified. I think that I am going to wait until we have a few members here that have completed this upgrade and are able to post pictures and their thoughts after firing the "upgraded" P320. What would have made this an awesome upgrade is if they offered to install the X-Five trigger instead of the curved trigger. I would have no issue if they charged something like a $40 upgrade fee to have the straight trigger installed. While I already have this trigger I think that many owners would go for that as well.

After my last SIG QC nightmare I swore I would never own another SIG firearm. I would quadruple the time estimate and plan on at least two trips back to them. I almost bought an X5, nice try SIG...nice try!

1 hour ago, 858 said:

After my last SIG QC nightmare I swore I would never own another SIG firearm. I would quadruple the time estimate and plan on at least two trips back to them. I almost bought an X5, nice try SIG...nice try!

Even if the repair takes 6 months, the X5 is still worth having IMO. I've owned Kimbers, CZs, and STIs, and the P320 X5 is the best (by far) striker fired weapon with a trigger that to me rivals the best of the SAs.

Even if the repair takes 6 months, the X5 is still worth having IMO. I've owned Kimbers, CZs, and STIs, and the P320 X5 is the best (by far) striker fired weapon with a trigger that to me rivals the best of the SAs.
Plus we only have another couple months of the shooting season. Unless you're in TX or AZ.

16 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

Plus we only have another couple months of the shooting season. Unless you're in TX or AZ.

I'm in AZ...sure glad I have more than one P320! I won't be sending them all at the same time. :)

I'm in AZ...sure glad I have more than one P320! I won't be sending them all at the same time. [emoji4]

Wait? What? You're not supposed to buy more than one gun. Just buy one and then reconfigure as needed. [emoji2]

25 minutes ago, BillR1 said:

Not sure what single action pistols you have experience with, but they all must have been pretty bad examples if that's the case.  The X5 trigger is mediocre even compared to other striker-fired pistols.

58 minutes ago, BillR1 said:

If SIG subcontracts or sells the X5 design to another manufacturer it might be worth owning. Just look at what a great job SIG continues to do with the un-recall recall of the 320 and V1,2,3 nightmare/dance of the MPX and MCX. SIG USA might have checked a bunch of boxes for value on a game gun but they are still up to their same QC BS. Even S&W got the M&P more right on the first try than the 320 and SIG has worked almost 10 years to cobble the striker into the 250. Nice try SIG USA...nice try! 

Like I said, quadruple the time estimate and plan on multiple returns back to SIG. 

35 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Not sure what single action pistols you have experience with, but they all must have been pretty bad examples if that's the case.  The X5 trigger is mediocre even compared to other striker-fired pistols.

Opinions vary...mine has an outstanding trigger. I hope I can get it back to close to what it is now after the upgrade.

3 minutes ago, 858 said:

Like I said, quadruple the time estimate and plan on multiple returns back to SIG. 

Even IF that part is true, I'll still take it over any other striker fired gun! I can wait...I have other guns to play with in the meantime.