Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Voluntary Upgrade, Will you do it?

Sig0431

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/30/2017 at 7:44 AM, rtl said:

Mine was delivered to SIG on Friday 11/24.  Got email with return tracking on Wednesday 11/28.  Can't complain about this turnaround. 

RTL

Received Friday 11/30.  I re-installed my APEX flat trigger with no difficulty and all seems well.  I kind of miss the "dryfire" click but otherwise it feels pretty much the same.  I'll shoot it in the next few days and post if I run into any difficulties.

RTL

Saw this posted by Bruce Gray in another group: 

"Bruce GrayGroup Admin Hi! SIG’s engineers did some very clever things to remove the variability in the sear-striker engagement which can contribute to inconsistent and long, spongy trigger pulls. Think of that variability as extra “play” in the mechanical register between the slide-mounted striker and frame-mounted sear. In typical striker guns, that engagement value, or register, can be affected by the clearances designed into the slide-frame fit, striker-striker housing fit, and so forth. To assure adequate minimum sear engagement, the designers build in more engagement to compensate for these inevitable tolerance-induced variations. In that regard, the original P320 trigger was still quite excellent; but how to make it better? The new voluntary upgrade fire control system uses a novel controlled-engagement sear face, which essentially presets engagement at a consistent .043” or so, versus the considerably taller engagement of the original system. That means your finger doesn’t have as much engagement to pull through (after first-stage pretravel) before coming to the final pressure wall afforded by leverage changes and stacking from the striker spring. That reduced initial engagement in some pistols might be defined enough to be perceived as “sponge”, but I predict it will resolve with use, and the final release is still going to settle in cleaner and a pound or so lighter than the original system. For the record, I much prefer the voluntary upgrade, and all our future P320 enhancement work is based on it. 

I hope this helps. Thank you! 

-Bruce"

SO- are you saying that the new pelt trigger you'll come out with won't work as well for those that wont do the voluntary Sig upgrade?

I am not sending mine in- but was hoping the new Pelt will work for us also!

Compared to my P7M8's, my USP's, my custom 1911's, or even an off the shelf HK VP9 I played with recently, the trigger in my 320 X5 is a spongy mess.  If the "upgrade" makes it any worse, I would be inclined to either send it to Bruce Grey or sell it.

Finally got my X5 back after 3 days of tag with FedEx. Tried the trigger last night and I can't tell much difference other than it might be a little heavier, but it no longer has the click when pressing the trigger striker down. I should see how it performs this weekend.

I received info from sig to send my P320C in yesterday and will ship sometime this week. This gun has no aftermarket upgrades and i have had no issues with the trigger. Since registering for the upgrade I have picked up a full size 320 that I use for competition. I have not registered this gun for the upgrade yet. My full size came with a Grey Guns PELT trigger already installed. Per Sigs instructions aftermarket triggers need to be removed. Will my PELT trigger work in my full size after the upgrade? 

On 12/4/2017 at 1:01 PM, Archer said:

Compared to my P7M8's, my USP's, my custom 1911's, or even an off the shelf HK VP9 I played with recently, the trigger in my 320 X5 is a spongy mess.  If the "upgrade" makes it any worse, I would be inclined to either send it to Bruce Grey or sell it.

it won't be worse...it will still be spongy...

• 2 weeks later...

Fixing to send mine in. The current P320, if my math is right, helped me get "C" in Steel. Plan is to get it back from SIG and then send it to Bruce. That way I've met safety compliance and will have  a bang-up gun ready for competition.

On 12/12/2017 at 11:07 AM, NateTSU said:

I received info from sig to send my P320C in yesterday and will ship sometime this week. This gun has no aftermarket upgrades and i have had no issues with the trigger. Since registering for the upgrade I have picked up a full size 320 that I use for competition. I have not registered this gun for the upgrade yet. My full size came with a Grey Guns PELT trigger already installed. Per Sigs instructions aftermarket triggers need to be removed. Will my PELT trigger work in my full size after the upgrade? 

Nate, I got this e-mail from Gray back in November.  I still have one to exchange and put in my upgraded compact once they become available.

How's that 320 treating you?

Earlier, you received a communication from us relating to your P320 and the straight or curved version of our Practical Enhanced Leverage Trigger (PELT) you purchased from us for your P320. SIG SAUER® has since opened and started performing their voluntary upgrade program to address concerns that were raised over the summer. 

Grayguns reiterates its recommendation that you remove your PELT from your P320 and retain it. Return your P320 to SIG SAUER - with the original trigger if available - for the voluntary upgrade.

Grayguns will be making available an updated version of the PELT that is fully compatible with firearms that have completed the voluntary upgrade program. You will be able to trade your existing PELT for the new version, at no cost to you, to be used in your upgraded P320. We will be sharing details of this exchange program with you soon.

Alternatively, PELT owners may choose to have Grayguns perform our new Self Defense or Competition Enhancement Package on their P320s, at a special introductory price that will be announced in the next few weeks. These packages replace all in-shop P320 services previously offered by Grayguns.

As part of both packages, Grayguns will facilitate your P320 through the SIG SAUER voluntary upgrade program on an expedited basis, then provide an updated version of the PELT and the finely executed hand tuning we’re famous for. You will not be required to return your P320 to SIG SAUER for the voluntary upgrade before or after one of these packages is performed.

Remember, consequences for the handling or misuse of any firearm are the operator’s sole responsibility. Safe gun handling practices should be practiced at all times. Never rely upon any mechanical device for your safety.

Thank you for your continued patience as we work to launch the updated PELT and our new Self Defense and Competition Enhancement Packages. 

If you have any questions, you can contact Grayguns via email.

Edited by Blue Jacket

I phoned Sig last week re: the voluntary recall that I had signed up for. I hadn't heard a single thing from them since signing in with them over the phone back in early November. The customer service rep said he was having trouble locating my request form and would call me back as soon as he located it to let me now the status. I thought oh ya right, I will have to call again to check up on the status. Well couple hours later I got a return call from Sig stating the had found my request and I was in the 42,000 range of the 54,000 + range of request they had received, and they were currently in the 35,000 range of repairs. So according to him, I should receive notification in early January. I was impressed  that an actual person called me back, and gave full disclosure of the status. Pretty cool Sig...keep up the good work. 

The latest from Gray Guns. This was posted in the P320x5 Owners group on Facebook in response to someone inquiring as to the Gray Guns upgrade status from when we last heard from them in November.

Bruce Gray - Hi! We’ve finished our reengineering R&D and are making voluntary upgrade compatible stuff. After all this coordination with our friends at SIG SAUER, effort and exhaustive testing, I’m delighted (and honestly incredibly relieved!) to report:

Our new
Grayguns P320 kits yield superiour trigger pull results while supporting the voluntary upgrade’s enhanced performance qualities, all in a simple system designed for easy drop-in installation.

Why? The SIG voluntary upgrade corrects and eliminates the critical sear-reset fits which complicated our previous work by making the original fire control mechanism fussy and challenging to obtain consistent, reliable results from, and which rendered a drop-in competition action kit impractical.

I want to have enough of our new triggers and kits on the shelf to stay ahead of demand for each customer category. This all has taken a great deal of your time, and we again appreciate your patience.

Here’s the plan:

1) For our previous P320 Carry or Duty Action Package customers who choose to get the SIG SAUER voluntary upgrade, we recommend that you participate in their online signup program and send them directly to SIG for this service.

(By going direct to SIG SAUER for their voluntary upgrade first, you will save considerable time and expense; your previously Grayguns-tuned P320 does NOT need to be returned to us to be restored to the previous condition of excellent trigger pull quality you paid for. Indeed, our new drop-in kit generally yields better results, and the rest of the relevant polishing and detailing work remains.)

Remove and retain your Grayguns PELT trigger, and sear & safety cam plate from Competition actions. (Simple, complete video instructions will be posted on the Grayguns P320 Free Exchange Update Program website page, which will be up shortly.)

We will receive your original trigger and any other Grayguns parts you retained back from you, and I will send you a new GGI P320 competition kit containing our updated, upgrade-compatible sear & master spring set, trigger kit, GGI roundel logo sticker, and Lucas lubricant pillow pak.

You’ll also get a gift certificate good against future purchases in return, all at no net cost to you.

2) For owners of original Grayguns PELT triggers, remove them from your pistols, retain them, and prepare to send them to Grayguns Inc. for free exchange with our new upgrade-compatible version.

Our new triggers provide the same trigger pull enhancement, pull weight reduction, fit and feel as our original PELT versions, while supporting the enhanced rough handling performance characteristics of the voluntary upgrade system.

Grayguns Inc. strongly recommends that you obtain the SIG SAUER voluntary upgrade for your P320’s. Though they will fit in original P320’s, our newly updated triggers and kits are specifically intended for use only in upgraded pistols.

In any event, we strongly recommend that all original PELT owners discontinue use, remove them, and retain for free exchange with our new updated triggers.

3) For new customers interested in Grayguns Competition Action Package in-shop gunsmithing services, we have several great options:

First, you can simply install our new drop-in kit into your upgraded P320, and obtain a fully competitive, clean approximate 4-pound pull with no further work required. Our new kit is intended to be installed by any armourer, gunsmith or skilled individual who is familiar with the P320 FCU mechanism.

Second, you can send your pistol to Grayguns Inc. for this, as well as for our full menu of Grayguns and Springer Precision enhancement parts, sights, grip modules and custom finishes.

If your pistol has not received the SIG SAUER voluntary upgrade, we’ll handle that for you as a courtesy, at no added charge.

4) For new customers who want the equivalent of our previous Duty Action Package, we have a drop-in kit for you, too, which yields better results that support the voluntary upgrade’s enhanced rough handling characteristics.

I hope this information is helpful. You’ll see an official announcement with our full Grayguns Inc P320 Free Exchange Update Program website very soon. Hang in a little longer, and thank you all.

• 1 month later...

I sent mine in (320rx) over 2 weeks ago. I see all these super fast turnaround times on-line and I am starting to worry about mine. I called to check on it, and all they could tell me was that it was there. Do you guys think I have anything to worry about? They say 4-6 weeks, but most people have had them back in hand, in less than two weeks ?

4 hours ago, Jennslife15 said:

It took me 2 months after I went online to start the process before I received the email to send it in.

Sounds about like mine. Took a long time to get "the note" and then blindingly fast turn-around.

I sent three in a couple of weeks ago and they are back now. Triggers are good but the feel is different. Total travel is the same. Feels like it engages slightly sooner and that there is an opportunity to remove some overtravel. 

Bruce Gray thinks that this opens things up for even better trigger work. It also removes the "double click" variable that is what kept Grayguns from releasing full drop in kits. I plan is to make a full drop in kit available now I think. 

2 hours ago, alma said:

I sent three in a couple of weeks ago and they are back now. Triggers are good but the feel is different. Total travel is the same. Feels like it engages slightly sooner and that there is an opportunity to remove some overtravel. 

Bruce Gray thinks that this opens things up for even better trigger work. It also removes the "double click" variable that is what kept Grayguns from releasing full drop in kits. I plan is to make a full drop in kit available now I think. 

Full drop in kit would be way cool. Hope to see it. Apex has an interesting recent P320 release with a new transfer bar. I'd love to see what GG could come up with.