Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi,

It's time for me to grow up and learn how to reload. Do you have any suggestions on what books I should read, type of reloader and  accessories I need to get started. 

Thank you so much !!!

I'm not up to date on books - but browse powder manufacturers' websites. They tend to have good information, in addition to recipes, too. Read the safety cautions....

What calibers do you foresee reloading?

What kind of quantities?

A powder scale is one obvious thing that you will need. A basic one (go electronic)  will do if you only want to check that your reloader gives correct charges. If you want to measure every charge for long distance shooting, one with a trickler would be handy.

Hi,

I'm planning on reloading 9mm with 124 grain and 40 cal major with 155 grain. I've got lots to learn. Thank you for replying. I appreciate it so much !!!

I have reloading manuals from Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, Lee, Speer and a couple others.

I still say the Lyman manuals have more good info in them than any other.  However, just like auto repair manuals, you'll find some info in one manual that is not in another manual.

There is a lot of actual reloading data available on the internet these days if you look at both the powder manufacturer and bullet manufacturer web sites.  But the "how to" and reasons aren't as good on the web sites.

For me, the "secret" to reloading reliable safe ammo has been attention to detail at every step.  Inspecting the brass several times (before sizing, after sizing, after inserting the primers after the bullet is seated and the case mouth crimped - if I'm reloading a round that requires crimping the case mouth.)

When you ask a question, on the internet or with a group of friends, you'll most likely get differing answers, and you'll have to figure out which one works best for you and what you are doing.

Good luck.  It's fun, it could supply you with ammo during times the store shelves are bare, if can supply you with ammo that will shoot better in your gun, than what you can buy at the store.

For loading lots of pistol ammo, most go for Dillon machines. I went for a low profile solution with the Square Deal B. XL650 is a popular choice - and, for really producing a lot, the 1050. For the latter ones, you can get all sorts of options that let you go faster.

Get the Lyman and/or Speer reloading manuals and carefully read the introductory sections in the front.  They explain the procedures to follow in detail.  

Lyman book, read it. Supplement with online data from manufacturers. Verify things you read on forums with both.

Just pistol, get a progressive, beyond that you'll need dies, a scale, caliper, and some method of cleaning brass.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

To reload .40 Major, I'd NOT use my favorite SDB - you need proprietary dies which

help prevent bullet setback, and I wouldn't use 155 gr bullets - you want 180's.

Heresy :   You don't need ANY reloading books if you have Brian Enos on the dashboard

of your car  :)   

Instead of reading books, go back in the archives and read a year's worth of postings re:

reloading 9mm Minor.  (Don't assume you want to reload 124 grains - you might prefer

the 147's, like I do - have a softer, gentler recoil impulse.

Take your time - start with the 9mm - little easier IMHO than .40 Major.

BUY a chronograph - only $70 - an essential part of your loading equipment -

it will tell you how fast the bullets are going - Very Important Information.

Good luck with it :) 

3,000 rounds/year = 250 rounds / month or 60 /week.

You don't need a 650 - stick with a 550    :) 

I started reloading with the Lyman reloading manual and a Dillon 550 along with the Dillon 550 reloading DVD. I started with 9mm dies, case gauge, caliper, scale, primer flip tray and a vibratory case cleaner and media separator.

If you are going to be loading a lot of ammo in more than one caliber, i would recommend a Dillon XL650.   It is a fully progressive press and it is fairly easy and quick to change calibers.

Been using a 550 for over 20 years .   Loads lots of ammo very easy   10k to 20k a year.  With that said there is  a 1050 new in the box waiting to go on the bench. I would recommend finding someone close to you to get started.Next don't cheep out on your equipment.Buy DILLON.

There is a Brian Enos reloading DVD on Amazon (couldn't find it on this site, except for an old page).  You might try that for your library. https://www.amazon.com/Competition-Reloading-Basics-Advanced-Magill/dp/B0002BBUL0/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=reloading+dvd&qid=1555380710&s=gateway&sr=8-9

Granted, it's an oldie, but it probably will cover what you need. 

My advise...always wear eye protection.  :^)

On 8/9/2017 at 11:56 AM, Denise said:

Thank you so much!!!

Denise,

How is your reloading going and what did you decide on for a reloading machine?  

Ron