Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inconsistencies, and grip style

Sterrance

I have been shooting an open CZ for about half a year now, sometimes I scream through stages at A class speeds and accuracy, other times I can barely make my 2nd shot hit the D zone. I realized I had to change my grip style as I couldn't lock out as I would traditionally do with a 1911 or I'd fight the recoil far too much and always drop my second shot low. This helped, and got me into B class (just barely) but my grip still often feels off and the gun feels wrong while shooting it. My bullet build is pretty on point. 115gr 9mm around 1500fps. I dry fire often and try to live fire 2x per week. for some reason I cannot get the way I hold the gun right or consistent and feel right every time. Any suggestion besides tight wrist, loose shoulders and elbows or any tricks to train yourself to be more relaxed when firing?    

23 minutes ago, Sterrance said:

I have been shooting an open CZ for about half a year now, sometimes I scream through stages at A class speeds and accuracy, other times I can barely make my 2nd shot hit the D zone. I realized I had to change my grip style as I couldn't lock out as I would traditionally do with a 1911 or I'd fight the recoil far too much and always drop my second shot low. This helped, and got me into B class (just barely) but my grip still often feels off and the gun feels wrong while shooting it. My bullet build is pretty on point. 115gr 9mm around 1500fps. I dry fire often and try to live fire 2x per week. for some reason I cannot get the way I hold the gun right or consistent and feel right every time. Any suggestion besides tight wrist, loose shoulders and elbows or any tricks to train yourself to be more relaxed when firing?    

how often do you practice? do you practice or are you only shooting local and bigger matches? I don't know if a year and a half on just club matches alone is enough to get fully used to a gun. dry fire is  good but doesn't help when your issue is getting a rhythm with your gun while shooting it. id try to set up some practice stage situations where you seem to struggle the most and repeat it until you get some rhythm down. if  that doesn't work perhaps try to try out some other guns and see if the light goes on. as far as grip goes, I noticed a lot of help from a thumb rest. helps out with grip consistency for me so my thumb always has a place to be and  it helped out my grip overall. just some thoughts.

You might try a different powder.  I liked the way HS-6 felt.  I liked the way the dot behaved better with WAC.  It did rise a tad more, but the movement was straight up and down, and it returned to the same spot.  With HS-6 the dot squirmed and took longer to settle down.