Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone tried Prima SV and Prima V?

B_RAD

Do you like one over the other?  Looking for a powder for both 9mm Minor and .40 Major.

Seen some folks prefer SV for .40.  It's supposed to be the same burn rate as Clays and that used to be the go to load for 9 minor years ago. 

Thoughts?

Edited by B_RAD

I just logged on to post an almost identical question. I am intending to try Prima SV and e3 for the first time for 9 minor. I have found a lot of information on this site for e3 but would like some suggestions regarding start and max charges for SV ladder testing (.1 gr increments). I will be testing Acme 124 and 135s with CCI and S&B primers. Gun is a recently acquired 320 X5. I want to find a 130ish pf load with acceptable accuracy for USPSA Production. I too will most likely load for 40 Major in the future and would appreciate start/max recommendations for SV with coated pills. Also, how is SV in regards to spiking, temp. sensitivity, etc? 

I load Prima V for both 9 minor and .40 major, shot from CZ pistols (SP-01 for 9mm and TSO for .40)

3.5gr Prima V under a 135 coated RN at 1.08 OAL gives me ~135 PF

4.3gr Prima V under a 180 coated TC at 1.11 OAL lands me ~172 PF

Essentially both loads behave very similar to N320.  Prima V burns relatively clean (very similar/same as N320) and meters well.  Best of all it's currently on sale at Graf's for $13.99/1.1lbs with free hazmat when 10 or more are purchased.

44 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I load Prima V for both 9 minor and .40 major, shot from CZ pistols (SP-01 for 9mm and TSO for .40)

Essentially both loads behave very similar to N320.  Prima V burns relatively clean (very similar/same as N320) and meters well.  Best of all it's currently on sale at Graf's for $13.99/1.1lbs with free hazmat when 10 or more are purchased.

Where are you getting this powder?  Does it come in bigger jugs?

Edited by StuckinMS

42 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

What brand of coated bullets? 

2 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

What is the difference in the V and SV?

Sv is suppose to be similar to clays,wst

prima v is suppose to be like titegroup

I am currently using prima v in 9mm with 125gr/147gr bullets minor power level loads and can't find any complaints with it at lower power loads. 

14 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

Where are you getting this powder?  Does it come in bigger jugs?

See above, it's crazy cheap through Grafs already. While it is only available in 1.1lb jugs, buying 10 for the discount put me at $178 for 11 pounds of powder.

Thats Iike paying $129.45 for an 8 pound jug. Except even cheaper really, since thats the final price with shipping, without any tax, and factoring in the (lack of) hazmat.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

And I bet you can mix SV and V. As long as younger 10 the hazmat is waved.  That'll be what I end up doing.  

How does a 50/50 mix of V and SV feel in 9mm minor?

Do you run two powder measures then tumble the loaded rounds, or toss it all in a blender before feeding it to your Dillon?

:D:blink:

<smartass, yeah I know>

Edited by MemphisMechanic

6 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

How does a 50/50 mix of V and SV feel in 9mm minor?

Do you run two powder measures then tumble the loaded rounds, or toss it all in a blender before feeding it to your Dillon?

:D:blink:

<smartass, yeah I know>

I mix.powders all the time. Little here.  Lot there. Real safe. 

I'd really like to try some SV for 9 minor. 

Edited by B_RAD

14 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

See above, it's crazy cheap through Grafs already. While it is only available in 1.1lb jugs, buying 10 for the discount put me at $178 for 11 pounds of powder.

Thats Iike paying $129.45 for an 8 pound jug. Except even cheaper really, since thats the final price with shipping, without any tax, and factoring in the (lack of) hazmat.

Awesome !  Will be getting lots of it.  Thanks my son is starting his 2nd year of shooting and has won production and single stack state sectionals and placed 4th in single stack C class at the Arkansas Sectional this year so I want to find cheaper ways of loading so he can practice more. He is 12 and shows some potential .

6 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

my son won production and  SS state sectionals ,   He is 12 and shows some potential .

Shows some potential ?

That has to be The Understatement of the Year    :D

Sounds like The Next Robbie Leatham.    :bow:

19 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Just not sure why people are comparing V to 320 when their burn rate chart shows 9.5 is the comparison to 320. 

Pretty darn close I'd say, at least at this powder charge level

image.png.2db5c6a6a81e033118e8c39ed9e104ea.png

In my .40 loads they start to diverge a bit.  I need less Prima V powder to make more velocity.

image.png.6067beb5069cd8007d3975581270b029.png

Edited by muncie21

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Shows some potential ?

If you read carefully, either High Junior or High C-class or a combination thereof. Not saying that to diminish his achievement - I hope someday to have a kid whose that good at 12!

5 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Pretty darn close I'd say, at least at this powder charge level

image.png.2db5c6a6a81e033118e8c39ed9e104ea.png

In my .40 loads they start to diverge a bit.  I need less Prima V powder to make more velocity.

image.png.6067beb5069cd8007d3975581270b029.png

Thanks for that.  Are you shooting V because it works better for both 9 and 40 or because its cheaper than 9.5?

He was both.  He is a c class shooter.  He shot a classifier match to get classed and then broke his right(strong) hand,was in a cast up until 9 days before the Arkansas Sectional and did not start shooting single stack until February of this year.   He won high junior by over 300 points in single stack and was also 4th in c class.  I am a little partial but the fact that he done that after 6 weeks in a cast not shooting that close to the match is probably something not many could accomplish at 12.  Thanks very much for the compliments.  If he stays healthy he will shoot the Missouri fall classic last weekend in September. 

16 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Shows some potential ?

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you read carefully, either High Junior or High C-class or a combination thereof. Not saying that to diminish his achievement - I hope someday to have a kid whose that good at 12!