Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight in Range for CO gun

Smitty79

I've been shooting fixed sight production guns since I came to the sport.   I just won a good Carry Optics gun in the staff raffle for a match I worked.    What range do you sight them in at?   I've heard 15 yards for adjustable sights on iron sights.    Does the wide gap between the sight line and the muzzle axis dictate a different sight in range.    I'm thinking 25 yards might be better.

I've always sighted in my Production gun at 25 ...

Sight it in at 25. Then shoot it at 5,10,15 and 50 and see what your holdover/under will need to be at various distances. That's the most important thing for you to know on match day. You might find moving your POA up or down 0.5-1.0" will get you to that happy place where the rounds land within 1" or so of the dot from 0-35 yards.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

At various times, I've zeroed my CO gun at 15, 20, 25, 30,35 and 40 yards.

I now like it sighted in at 40 yards.  The dot is about 1.5" over the bore, after close zeroing at 15 yards it was stupid high for long shots.  So I crept the zero out and out.  Now sighted at 40, it's just a little low at point blank and gets closer to point of aim at all other distances.   At 3 yards, aiming at the upper A zone top perforation line, puts the hole in the center of the A.

Not sure if that's the best way, but it's what seems to work.

I sight in at 15 yards. I haven't had any issues with impact and I've shot from 5 to 50 yards with mine. It might require holding off a little at longer range but that's just a matter of trying it in practice. I find most of my shots at matches are 20 yards or less.

• 2 months later...

I have always zeroed my open gun at 18. I don't really think it matters all that much so long as you know your holds (which essentially amount to middle of B zone on super close targets, because at long enough range that the rise above POA is significantly less that the size of the targets in USPSA).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Sight it in at 25. Then shoot it at 5,10,15 and 50 and see what your holdover/under will need to be

This is the best way to do it.

Just don't forget to see where the bullets are hitting at 5 -50 yards    :)  

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2017 at 6:35 AM, RileyLV said:

Here is a good calculator:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html

Suprising, plugging in a 147 gr 9mm at 850 fps, I like the numbers best at a 15 yard zero, assuming a 1.5 inch offset from bore. I would have guessed 25 yards. 

For USPSA it is not unusual to see a lot of really tight shots inside of 15 yards so my thinking is biased toward hitting that A zone in the head box or missing the no shoot at 5 - 20 yards. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do it based on the typical furthest distance you would regularly shoot at a local match. My USPSA matches are done indoors and rarely have a target past 10 yards so there's no reason for me to zero it further. Also get an optic that sits low as possible on the slide so you have less delta. The RMR, Romeo 1, and Venom are some of the lowest profiles available. 

• 2 weeks later...