Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik TP9 SFX guide rod

aandabooks

• 4 weeks later...

Just ran my SFx with a p320 guide rod and a 12# Commander spring.  I have not chrono'd my rounds but I'm testing 124gr PC Bullets over 3.3gr. of Clays.  Was really soft shooting and very little recoil.  I'm shooting Steel Challenge so PF is not an issue.  I do plan on sending over the chrono as I'm surely curious as to where these stand.

Really like the p320 guide rod option as I can dial in spring weights for the load.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 8:33 PM, lutheranpriest said:

Sorry in advance for resurrecting an old thread. I'm a new Canik TP9SFX owner, and a new member to the forum. Thanks for all the great information on this thread. Just a quick question, I'm hoping to get some clarification. I've read reports that the stock Gen 3 Glock 17 guide rod assembly works as a drop in part for the TP9SFX, but I've also read reports that the Gen 4 to Gen 3 adapter is needed. Is the adapter only needed when using an aftermarket non-captive guide rod? Or is the adapter needed no matter what when using any Gen 3 guide rod assembly? I'm just looking to lighten the stock recoil spring weight.

Additionally, reading on another forum, someone was using a P226 solid guide rod and 15# Wolff spring. Has anyone tried this setup?

Sig P226 guide rod works but I would use a Wolff Sig p226 16lb recoil spring unless you also reduce your striker spring. Like almost any stiker fired pistol, Caniks are cock on close. If you go too light on your recoil spring you will run into failure to feed/failure to return to battery problems. The orginal striker springs were way too heavy. They have toned them down some but they are still too heavy. Options: 6.5lb Ghost glock striker spring, 28 Newton Glock striker spring, 6lb Wolff Glock striker spring. The Ghost 6.5lb is likely the best balance but it will not let you go quite as low on the recoil spring as a 28N. It is a good idea to leave some room for range grit and the added friction if you shoot any matches at ranges with heavy dust/sand. I had mine tuned up for spotless indoor matches and grass turf ranges and was 100% with 128-130pf loads. At a dirt/sand bowl match, that quickly turned into FTFs and out of battery issues on 5 out of 6 stages. Yeah - that day sucked. I will be carrying an extra set of springs for this from now on.

Since i mentioned the striker spring, a lighter one will also improve the trigger pull slightly. However, if you have a new SFx the greatest problem with the trigger is almost certainly the Severe Duty Upgrade firing pin plunger block spring. Swapping that out for a reduced power Glock striker block plunger spring will drop the trigger on many Caniks by as much as 1-1.5lbs - it will also get rid of the click and tick felt in the trigger pull when the trigger bar engages the block plunger. 

I'm still running the factory rsa, I did have problems with 147gr ammo but I switched to WWB 124gr NATO for break in purposes and it's been 100% reliable with that ammo. After a few hundred more rounds of NATO I'm going to try 147gr again and will report back. 

On 4/28/2018 at 7:32 AM, DB_Cooper said:

I'm still running the factory rsa, I did have problems with 147gr ammo but I switched to WWB 124gr NATO for break in purposes and it's been 100% reliable with that ammo. After a few hundred more rounds of NATO I'm going to try 147gr again and will report back. 

Just got back from the range and it’s running the 147gr a little better but still not reliable, 124gr NATO still 100% reliable.

Lutheranpriest,

just curious if the Gen4 guide rod you chose is parallel to the barrel? It looks like that model you chose has a larger end on it to correct the angled guide rod in the gen4 Glock. There gen3 model has the end that is the same size as the spring so it would be more like the stock guide rod on the Canik. Just wondering if I should buy there gen3 with adapter vs the gen 4

Hey Guys, 

Just traded my SF for a SFX with Vortex and found a Springer Precision 320 guide rod on eBay. The deal includes every 1911 spring from 11-21 lbs. All of the lower pound springs are brand new in the wrapper as he used this on a Sig 320 and he said the 18 lb was used the most. I have the ghost 6.5 striker spring and reduced power plunger spring on the way also. Which recoil spring should I start with and should I shorten them as they are full length 1911 springs??