Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI +5/6 included springs too weak?

wtturn

Curious if anyone else has experienced this.  

I have used the +5/6 pads (140mm) in both .40 mags and 9mm and found the included TTI springs caused malfunctions due to insufficient spring power.  Failure to feed and once a disastrous binding of the follower which left the rounds piled up every which way inside the mag body.  TTI shipped me out replacement springs gratis (great CS!) but unfortunately they did the same thing.

I purchased the ISMI GL2 14-coil springs which are marketed for 170mm extensions and found that they work 100% AND allow the full +6 rated capacity. 

Are the springs they ship with just too weak, or am I alone in having issues?  

Buy the glock 33 rnd mag springs from Wollf and cut.  I'm running TTI base pads and adding 2 coils to the stock 11.  There's no way I will ever need springs again.  They stick out the bottom of the mag like 5 inches.  And so far run flawless.

I have 3 TTI extensions on my .40 mags with no issues so far.  And I bought them used.

No issues with the Dawsons either.

Turn:  You giving .40 another shot?  It does get better if you keep at it.  It's taken me a few months but my times are finally getting down where they were when I was shooting 9mm.  It's been frustrating though.  Damn gun seems to fly all over the place.

No problem here, BUT, I did have issue with my ETS mags having a short internal length and the COL of my reloads cause them to hang up halfway up the mag acting like they the springs were weak, same issue with some of the factory defensive loads I have. Also had the same issue with factory glock mags needing to be loaded a bit shorter then found loading data. 

On 7/31/2017 at 11:56 AM, wtturn said:

Curious if anyone else has experienced this.  

I have used the +5/6 pads (140mm) in both .40 mags and 9mm and found the included TTI springs caused malfunctions due to insufficient spring power.  Failure to feed and once a disastrous binding of the follower which left the rounds piled up every which way inside the mag body. 

I had this same exact problem at a match last month.  That said, I have had the mags for 3yrs now and they have worked great (the problem mag was used only for matches).  Before the match I was thinking I should clean them and change springs since its never been done.  

Everything looked normal and clean when I took the mags apart so I changed out springs and seems to have fixed the problem.  

Is there such a thing as too strong a spring or too much pressure?
With my 170mm springs it takes noticeably more force to strip the first few rounds by hand but it cycles fine through the gun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just ordered my first set of TTI +6 basepads so I guess I'll find out if I have this problem or not soon enough.

I wonder if there are any difference between the magazine generations that could cause issues? Like does one generation of follower allow for more or less compression than another?

1 hour ago, MPF said:

I wonder if there are any difference between the magazine generations that could cause issues? Like does one generation of follower allow for more or less compression than another?

I've found the latest generation of mags (ambi cut mag release notches, but no middle notch) consistently do NOT fit the mag gauge, at least with .40 mags. But my basepads are a few years old.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question;  I have 5 TTI Glock extensions for my G35 setup.  3 I have been using for a few years and hold 18 rounds with some give for easy reloads. 

So, I am getting back into limited.  Last week I ordered two more TTI extensions in Tan color.  I cannot get 18 rounds in either one.  I have tried several tubes and swapped springs/followers from my older ones that work.  Its a hard stop at 17, not mushy, hard.  Visibly I can see no difference between the new ones and old ones.

Then to add insult, yesterday one of my existing TTI did two speed unloads during match.  I have put it back together with a newer tube, so I shall see.

I love TTI's stuff, but now my confidence is shaken.