Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the .45 dead in USPSA?

SyNaPsE

1 hour ago, perttime said:

200 grain bullets... I must remember to get some in my hands. Last time I had some, they were nice to shoot but the TC shape of those ones made feeding a little clunky in my 1911.

You can also get 200gr RN. I got some from leatherhead bullets to try, and back to back testing showed they were faster for me on partials and other more difficult targets. I agree the standard semi-wadcutters can be a bit more finicky with feeding. they have to be just the right oal and just the right crimp to work consistently (which is why I stopped using them and went back to 230 gr until I found the leatherhead 200 RN).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

shoot only 3 gun.as tactical as i can find to test new gear. use a  s&w with 6&10 rd extened mags. same as i carry for work..     down town Cleveland Ohio, all i need is a lt wt commander, 3 8- rd mags, Speer  230 gr .45's. 2 guys trying to jack mt wife's beemer.  bedroom, yes s&w with 3 14 rd mags. bid ass lite.  same bullet.just fine.  shoot a little idpa. .45 is just fine. fun,comfortable,saves me practicing in back yd. was early to the game. my idpa # is just over  #-2 - -   yes 3 digits.  l.o.l.

i work where the trash believe in shiria law.  i KNOW of a d-boy who needed to shoot bad guy off the front of a humvee. took 11 rds of 9mm ball.  a 124 gr +p+ will do it quicker and less waste.

different tools---different jobs if i sht match's i would take both and decide how i feel. good practice

jjw

Edited by jjw

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, rowdyb said:

Didn't say competitive, said fun. Mounting an optic would suck, mag changes would suck. But for the goofy grin fun of it, as the shooter or for spectators, it'd be pretty good.

Especially with 50 round drum mags!!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, SyNaPsE said:

Is there any place for a .45 in any division these days?  Does a nice custom .45 have any value in the competitive shooting world?

yes for sure if you look at the last nationals it was dominated by the 45 230 grain.  I plan on going back to it as well as the 40 single stack is a monster to shoot

• 4 months later...

I prefer my 45 over my 40. However at the end of the day ammo cost is a consideration and 40 is cheaper so I shoot that more. 

In IDPA you can only shoot 45. I have never tried a 9mm 1911. Mainly because Major power factor.

we  still have a couple of our guys shooting .45 cal  1911s in the single stack division.  Most now are shooting 9mm 1911 single stacks due to lack of recoil and faster follow up shots.

On 10/16/2017 at 12:14 PM, jjw said:

shoot only 3 gun.as tactical as i can find to test new gear. use a  s&w with 6&10 rd extened mags. same as i carry for work..     down town Cleveland Ohio, all i need is a lt wt commander, 3 8- rd mags, Speer  230 gr .45's. 2 guys trying to jack mt wife's beemer.  bedroom, yes s&w with 3 14 rd mags. bid ass lite.  same bullet.just fine.  shoot a little idpa. .45 is just fine. fun,comfortable,saves me practicing in back yd. was early to the game. my idpa # is just over  #-2 - -   yes 3 digits.  l.o.l.

i work where the trash believe in shiria law.  i KNOW of a d-boy who needed to shoot bad guy off the front of a humvee. took 11 rds of 9mm ball.  a 124 gr +p+ will do it quicker and less waste.

different tools---different jobs if i sht match's i would take both and decide how i feel. good practice

jjw

Best thing I've read all day

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2017 at 11:53 PM, motosapiens said:

that is news to me. I only have 20k or so rounds through 10rd 45 mags (chip mccormick), but I have yet to have any kind of feed problem with them and my STI trojans.

On 10/16/2017 at 12:14 PM, jjw said:

jjw

I tried this in google translate and my PC locked up.  Had to reboot

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 6:17 PM, TonytheTiger said:

I already have 2 admirers, and three's a crowd. Besides, my Suomi parts gun would appeal to the more sophisticated group. And its just as heavy as a Thompson...

And not just "the more sophisticated group" but those who know what "Suomi" is!!!