Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the .45 dead in USPSA?

SyNaPsE

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SyNaPsE said:

Does a  custom .45 have any value in the competitive shooting world?

Not an awful lot ...   not since everyone ran into Production, Limited or Open - that's where 90% of

current shooters are.

VERY few people shooting Single Stack (mostly .45's).

BUT, there are still some diehards shooting .45's - you would be shooting against them, not

everyone else    :)

When I got started in USPSA (late 80's), Everybody shot .45 (except for those wise guys

shooting their new fangled 10-shot .38 supers.  But, they were the minority - but they

kept winning matches    :) 

ipsc outside of the usa you have classic division

uspsa here you have single stack division

idpa here you have cdp (custom defensive pistol)

normally divisions with very small participation unless people are prepping for a certain match.

9 hours ago, SyNaPsE said:

Is there any place for a .45 in any division these days?  Does a nice custom .45 have any value in the competitive shooting world?

They have value in their place, just not broad appeal. Not quite to the point of revolver but getting close.

One more opinion - Limited 10 in .45 with 10 round SS mags. 

Has anyone seen the equipment survey results from this years SS Nats? That will be a good data point for this conversation to inform the OP

1 hour ago, SJan said:

If a shooter competes in SS and limited, 40 for both divisions makes the most sense.  Otherwise SS is where 45 shooters play. 

There is also the fact that since there are 10 round .40 mags available for single stack, shooting .40 gives you the option of shooting minor or major. If I was starting fresh, I would go .40.

I guess I am a die hard SS 45 ACP shooter. Have 5 1911 45 ACPs. All set up the same way. It is a kick in the butt when you can come in the top 15% of a match of 50-60 shooters with an old SS 45 ACP.

But yes, I am an old guy and used to be 45ACP ruled for years in USPSA.

IMVHO

Mike

I have shot both .45 and .40 in single stack. The only reason I stick with .40 is I can use the same load that I use for my limited 2011. I don't have to worry about loading 45. 

I still think most shooters shooting single stack shoot .45 for a couple of reasons. First is .40 is not available in many guns, and second .45 seems to be less problematic. I know a few guys who have .40 single stack guns and they work but I think they are more picky about magazines than .45. I think the first reason has more to do with it in reality.

Everyone talks about the magical 10 round magazines in 40 so you can shoot major or minor with the same gun. And yet... I don't think I've ever seen it in reality. People shoot 40 SS guns, sure. But they only shoot them in major with 8 rounds. And, more people shoot 45 in SS than 40 at this point. The advantage of 40 i would think is just in the cost of reloading it: 40 bullets are cheaper than 45s.

OP, you shouldn't even consider L10. Because L10 is a hider division that should be deleted.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is getting a little off topic, but the reason that L10 should be deleted is that there are already rules in place for what happens if state law has a maximum magazine capacity. Shooters in high cap divisions are already supposed to be shooting at whatever the legal limit is, so L10 holds no value other than the very few people that shoot either odd ball guns that don;t have high enough capacity (CZ97, HK45/USP), or to people that shoot 1911s with 10 round mags. Neither of which are large enough groups of people to justify it's existence. 

/rant

I'd be fine if I got to shoot 10 rounds of .45 in the Single Stack division.  I think of myself as a Single Stack shooter but when I use the 10-round mags, which tends to make it more fun, then I'm in L10, "coming up from below," so to speak, since my setup is that of Single Stack.  Those who "came down from above" have advantages over me, but I don't care.  I relish beating shooters on this or that stage, or entire matches, who have big equipment advantages.

On 7/31/2017 at 9:46 AM, ChuckS said:

There is also the fact that since there are 10 round .40 mags available for single stack, shooting .40 gives you the option of shooting minor or major. If I was starting fresh, I would go .40.

except that everyone who shoots 10-round 40 mags admits they don't really work 100%. Sometimes you have to question them pretty closely before it finally comes out.

If you already have a 45, it is a great gun for SS or L10 (if you're a hider). If you don't already have one, it is probably more efficient to go with 40. OTOH, it's alot easier to find a quality 45.

I shot a Springfield xd  tactical for my first 2 years.  I put a solid stainless guide rod, powder river precision trigger kit, titanium striker safety,  and modified mags to hold 18 rnds.  I had already owned the gun before getting introduced into the shooting sport and it was fun.  I made it to B class with it.  I now own a 2011, but shot the 45 last match just to reminisce.  It was a tough platform to "learn"  with, but you learned how to drive the gun and also how to absorb recoil.  Good times for sure!

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, SyNaPsE said:

Great points.  I may have to check out L10 and decide whether to shoot the SS or the 2011 both in .45.  Or just go for Limited with my Glock.

Wait...a 2011 in .45?  Well, honestly, if that is where your original question came from, no, there really isn't a good place for it.  If it was .40, then yes.  SS, absolutely, .45 with 8 round mags.  Some people do it, but really, stay away from L10 with the single stack.  The 10 round mags are widely prone to feeding issues, especially on slide lock reloads.  I shot SS my first season and I still attribute it to teaching me how to break down and plan a stage.  Glock = meh.  If you are wanting to compete, get out there with whatever you got and get started.  Wouldn't suggest investing down a particular path until you have some matches under your belt.  Not many people shoot the 1911's after single stack nationals at the beginning of the season, but the division really is fun and a great way to learn.

19 hours ago, motosapiens said:

except that everyone who shoots 10-round 40 mags admits they don't really work 100%. Sometimes you have to question them pretty closely before it finally comes out.

And that's why I never switched from my old .45 1911s ;)