Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa load...sort by headstamp?

1911FL

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I only sort for 9MM major loads and I use Speer +P brass for that. I never see split cases but then again, I will load them only a couple of times before I rotate them and use them in a match where they are left. All other 9MM like steel loads I don't care what the brass is and can't see a difference in accuracy either way.

Bullseye shooter here, I sort.  I checked with crono and found a difference in SD.  

My best groups shot have been with sorted brass.

Makes a big difference in my 223 rifle. Some difference in 38 and 45 target loads.

It may not matter for other shooting sports, but I need all the help I can get,

I same the oddball stuff for when I can't pick up my brass.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see any need to sort pistol cases for reloading unless its 9mm cases. Then you'll want to sort out all the manufactures that so the stupid stepped brass cases like freedom munitions and ammoland use.

• 2 weeks later...

I take back my answer.

I am a bullseye shooter.   I always sorted my brass.

I have found with 9mm which I just started loading for this year, I have shot some incredible groups with mixed brass.

I have also had some malfunctions from mixed brass.  

It seems everything is going well then all the sudden, I get a "Click" because I am not fully in battery.  

The brass was too short and did not get crimped enough or has a deformity that did not let it chamber properly.

This is the only problem I am having with unsorted brass.   

I still sort brass for competing in bowling pin matches once a week.

I think if I used only good brand unsorted brass It would be no problem.

David

I only sort brass for bullseye (Fed .45's) police revolver (Rem) and a couple of rifle calibers I shoot at 300 yds.  Even then, I'm not separating by lot number, only headstamp, so I'm passing on the possibility of further reducing the variability.

Everything else, which is to say most of what I shoot, is mixed brass.

I've never done careful comparisons of mixed vs. sorted, so I don't have data to support my practice...but logically it should matter to some extent in the precision events, and I do know a number of shooters better than I who do it, so that's my rationale.

17 minutes ago, Droot said:

It seems everything is going well then all the sudden, I get a "Click" because I am not fully in battery.  

The brass was too short and did not get crimped enough or has a deformity that did not let it chamber properly.

This is the only problem I am having with unsorted brass.   

David:

After reloading you need this:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/100-round-9mm-luger-hundo-chamber-checker-cartridge-case-gauge/

All your chambering issues will go away!

I will also suggest using a large magnet before reloading to check the brass. These days there are some brass colored steel brass being passed off in the ammo market.

For my 9mm major open gun i use single headstamp brass (federal) .  Since i use an upright mount it makes tuning the ejection easier as you aren't fighting variable rim dimension...  Other than that i dont bother.