Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LabRadar 2nd time around

So, I posed on my troubles with the LabRadar a few months ago in the Labradar Power Factor thread...

But have always assumed I had gotten a bad unit, as so many people seem happier with there units.  So I decided to give it another try, arrived yesterday and took it out today.  Short version - I had no issues today - all pistol - 9/45/10mm, both factory and handloads, BBI bullets, etc.  I did not use an external battery pack so did not have the power off to change strings issue.  I probably put 100-odd shots through it, including 44Mag now that I think about it, and it triggered on every one.  Now I did have basically perfect conditions - 25 yard open outdoor range, nice and sunny, mounted on my good Spotting Scope Tripod, etc.

The one thing I don't like about it, and it's nit-picking really, but with the Pro Chrono and BT I can pre configure my strings beforehand the night before say - ie setting up name, caliber, bullet weight, etc so it's very quick and easy to move from one load/string to another.  With the LabRadar, it doesn't appear you can do that, and have to set bullet weight every time you change strings, unless I missed something in the docs.  Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying to bang out from 124 to 240, for instance, in .01 increments lol.

Other than that, had a fine day.  Will be testing with my long rifles next week - need to get a bench mount - I've read the one offered is kinda cheap, so looking for other options.

• 3 weeks later...

Had some issues today with it randomly powering off... battery meter showed about 1/2 power avail (at least that's what I though it was showing me) but seemed like it would shut off after every few shots.. plus towards the ends I started getting FPS swings of about 300-400 fps for same load (I was on a short range, which may have been related, I know it like to have at least 15 yards but the range was full today.  Maybe also due to low battery, not sure.  I have the battery pack, but have put it somewhere and can't find it so was running off of eneloop rechargeables.   Guess I need to find that darn battery pack.

Only thing that scares me is for $550, it should be more reliable than that. (to me anyway)  I understand that no chrono is going to be perfect and run perfectly and accurately for every shot in every condition.  Believe me, I get it.  Plus, I don't use mine very often as I'm just getting into reloading and learning about all of this stuff.  So, I could never justify paying $550 for a chrono that I only use here and there, but for others that use it often and use it to go to big matches and such, I can understand.  But, to me, if it is having flaky responses and you only had half a battery charge in it, that would scare me for the amount of money put into it.  Battery pack or not.  I could understand if you didn't have much battery left and it was blinking or something and it kept shutting off, but for it to give you erroneous readings and shutting off and you kept replacing batteries, that would bother me.  Then again, like you said, if it was a low battery condition, it could cause those issues.  However, if your rechargeables were in good condition, then there shouldn't have been a problem.  Although, just to be safe, I would try and find their battery pack and try it again, if it happens again with their battery pack, then you have found out there is another issue and it isn't because of your rechargeables. :( 

Yeah first time out had no issues, but was on same batteries this time out out, so they were low.  I'll be using it more this weekend and report back.  Plus getting on a proper length range - manual states 15 yards minimum, and I was on the 10 yard range since all the other bay were taken - last week I was on the 25 yard bay.  I'll be doing some rifle work this upcoming weekend as well.

Edited by 78Staff

78Staff

My Labradar does not like rechargeable batteries. I also take them out when not in use. The same batteries have lasted for over 500 timed shots with no shutdowns like you are experiencing.

Have you checked the ARM Time and Screensaver settings?

Edited by OneEyedSam
Add additional information

I found the battery pack, so will use it this weekend.  I also don't think the batteries were low anyway, as the indicator showed half full, and i found the unit was powered on the next day when I pulled it out of the bag, so it power button got depressed at one point while it was in the storage bag.  So will have to watch out for that.

Re the ARM and SS settings, they are the same as session one, in which I had no issues at all.  I suspect the errors were due to the short range, as I also have several "failure to acquire" errors as well.  I'll make sure to get on a longer range this weekend, plus will be testing rifle and suppressed rifle as well.  I'll report back after the next session.

Used the LabRadar some more this weekend with no issues.  I was even able to try it indoors, and it had no problem picking up shots.

I was *not* able to pickup shots from my suppressed MK12, which is to be expected, as LR sells a microphone kit and suggests it for suppressed rifles, but I though I had read some were able to get to working without the extra mic.  I tried multiple locations, ie ahead, even, slightly behind, etc but no joy.  Maybe it requires a level sensitivity change...

23 hours ago, 78Staff said:

Used the LabRadar some more this weekend with no issues.  I was even able to try it indoors, and it had no problem picking up shots.

I was *not* able to pickup shots from my suppressed MK12, which is to be expected, as LR sells a microphone kit and suggests it for suppressed rifles, but I though I had read some were able to get to working without the extra mic.  I tried multiple locations, ie ahead, even, slightly behind, etc but no joy.  Maybe it requires a level sensitivity change...

Did you try to change the trigger mode to doppler?  It picks up my dad's pellet gun if I switch it to doppler mode. 

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread from the dead. Has LabRadar come up with a new firmware that enables Bluetooth and an app?

I have not had any issues with my Caldwell G2, even though I am aware it is not even close to the same quality, but the app and features are great.

So far I have not had any issues.

• 1 month later...

I just got a LabRadar last week and the manual talks about bluetooth and I can see it on my phone, but they won't pair.
BTW, so far I like it and took a bit to figure out how to get a new string without powering off the unit.

On 4/3/2018 at 8:22 PM, Rotary12 said:

I just got a LabRadar last week and the manual talks about bluetooth and I can see it on my phone, but they won't pair.
BTW, so far I like it and took a bit to figure out how to get a new string without powering off the unit.

They keep saying an app is coming for bluetooth.  I asked them about it (again) and they replied with this in February...

Thank you for checking back in with us, we are still coming out with an App for Iphone and Android, they are finishing up the Android version now and will hopefully be released any week now, but the iphone will be released soon after, but do not have a firm timeframe since they took much longer than planned for the android version.

10 hours ago, darkvibe said:

They keep saying an app is coming for bluetooth.  I asked them about it (again) and they replied with this in February...

Thank you for checking back in with us, we are still coming out with an App for Iphone and Android, they are finishing up the Android version now and will hopefully be released any week now, but the iphone will be released soon after, but do not have a firm timeframe since they took much longer than planned for the android version.

Do you or anyone on this thread have experience with your Labradar units and the Magneto.  Thinking about getting the magneto but that would be a pain for my pistol testing but I do have a PACT that  I can use for that.  

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, Rotary12 said:

Are you using an external USB power pack?  If so, what is your procedure for creating a new string without powering off the unit?

• 3 weeks later...

I was having issues when using my external battery pack with the unit shutting down randomly. I talked to Labradar tech support, and they said that it could be a loose connection on the USB cable, which made sense to me since I was using a cheap cable that honestly did not fit very tight.

I replaced the USB cable with a higher-quality version, and have had no issues since.

I think the force from the detonation would jiggle the cable just enough to cause it to power down. The new cable fits much more tightly, and honestly has solved my problem 100%