Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ in Open at Bianchi Cup

CZMike

Im a huge CZ fan. I shoot USPSA and Local Plate and Pin Matches Weekly. Im very interested in shooting the Bianchi Cup in 2018. Because I shoot so much (800-1000 rounds weekly) and would not be completely giving up my other matches for the Cup, I think it would benefit me to utilize the same platform. (a purpose built CZ) First question is anyone using a CZ in Open? If so what is it? I just came from the range and tried my USPSA Open gun with no modifications to anything including the load and it shot sub 1.75 inch at 25 yards and that was with a 6MOA dot. Im thinking with a load tailored for accuracy and a 2 or 4 MOA dot its probably going to be in the 1.25 inch range. Thoughts Please, Thanks

At the 2016 Flagler and Bianchi cups there were a couple of guys from Australia who were shooting CZ SP01 action guns.... Custom shrouds, wings, mover mounts, 6 inch Pulver barrels....seemed to run OK. The same guys turned up at NZ for the World Champs. I got some pictures somewhere.....

Most of the top guys have guns that are well under 2 in @ 50, and the best of those border sub inch.

However, it is possible to shoot a 1920 with a >2 inch gun. ;)

The biggest limiting factor will be the lack of commercially available shrouds for the CZ platform. I spoke with the Aussie CZ shooters and i think they said that they made their own shrouds.

Thanks. I don't think the shroud and mover is the issue. Im an engineer and a tool maker. I would design and build a custom shroud to accommodate mounting on the CZ and incorporate  a PD Mover base. Im concerned about the accuracy, custom extended barrel, bushing and the fitting of them. 

Thanks Warren, I emailed Briley to get info about the barrel. Im would prefer to just buy what I need but I understand to some extent we are breaking new ground here.

CZMike,

Not breaking too much new ground, but tread carefully. I like teh shpe of CZ and Tanfoglio Frames, but prefer a 1911 / STI / SVI type setup for how I build mine.

I have an old (real old) Tanfoglio in 9mm that has been converted to an Action Gun, after someone butchered it into an IPSC gun, and totally screwed it up.

I put a new barrel from Tanfoglio in it and had it fitted properly. I have an Old Hillver Shroud and that took some fitting as it was too tight a fit and caused the frame to shift, fit and fettle it all in. Accuracy is acceptable, 2.5" at 50. Frame to slide fit not perfect but runs 100% with factory ammo. Reloads have to be pretty on to ensure 100% function. 

If I was using a CZ and working up from there I would look at a used Shadow (1 or 2) and fit a new KKM 6" barrel and have it properly fitted. Alluminium Compensator or Titanium, not too big as it is not needed to be huge with minor. Factory Stainless Guide Rod and sort the internals out, fit the shock buffer to take some of the hard hits on the slide out. Get rid of the DA first shot by fitting the TS trigger (if it goes in). Drilling and taping the CZ frames is difficult, but not impossible.

The Czech Mate Frames are bigger but will already be fitted for a scope mount and could be modified to take a Shroud easy enough. But seeing as they for IPSC and not Action Pistol fit is not perfect but they will be easily modified. I don't like tightening the CZ or Tanfoglio frames. It is difficult and not always 100% successful. The correct fitting of the barrel is far more important than super tight frame to slide fit.

Certainly don't shy away from the job, ,just be aware of the likely pitfalls you will encounter. They are no more difficult to overcome than what you will find on a used 1911, it will also have problems, it is just that they are better understood and more accessories are out there to help you along.

I started out way back when with a CZ75. Went from there to a CZ85 and in 1990 ended up with a third place finish at the Bianchi Cup in metallic sight. Shortly after that I went to a Springfield P9 out of their custom shop and finally on to the Tanfoglios where we have been ever since.

Both of our AP open guns will shoot better than 1.5” at 50 and have been for the most part very reliable. I have more information about these platforms than most but there is way too much information to post here, I tried to send Mike a PM over the weekend but he may not have received it. Still if he wants to call me at work, 1800 449 8018 or email me there at engraving@dsportmo.com I would be happy to let him know anything he wants to know.

Grant J

I have drawings on a shrould you could modify so you would not have to start from scratch.

I like to use a revo mover base on my custom shrouds because I can cut the shroud to fit the key on the bottom of the mover base.  really makes it solid both left and right as well as from to back.

That is the plan. I'm hoping to be able to modify the Barricade Mount to fit the TS, using the TS dust cover for the bottom half of the shroud. It's the perfect shape, small girth and very solid. The barrel bush would then be pushing down on the frame of the gun, again very solid. Just haven't had the time to work on it yet.

The slide will have to be shorter, as it will no longer support the front end of the barrel. The barrel is supported by the new barrel bush part, and only touches the slide in the chamber/lockup area. That means when the comp pushes down during firing, the slide is free to run backward without any binding. This is the main thing that makes a 9mm with a comp problematic and finicky. In this setup the comp pushes down on the stationary bushing, which in turn pushes down directly on the frame.

Similar to both my setups. My latest has the barrel with a reverse taper that unlocks out of the bushing (Block) as the slide and barrel recoil. Then when they go back into battery the barrel drives into the block. My block acts as the shroud as well. all once piece. Bastard to get apart when dirty as it tightens up, but easy to reassemble once clean.