Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS mag release- any tips for removing staked in screw?

muncie21

The mag release on my TS orange is just a bit too long for me to grip without it digging in to the palm of my support hand.  No prob, I'll just swap it with the Shadow 2 mag release.  

My challenge started at Step 1, removing the mag release spring screw.  Mine happens to be staked in 2 places.  Screw won't budge.  

Any suggestions for getting this bugger out?

Secure the frame in a vise, use as big a screwdriver as will fit in the slot, and turn with one hand while pushing down on the back of the screwdriver with the other.  If you still can't break it free you could turn the screw driver with a pair of vise grips.

CZ really stakes them down good. Get a vise and pad the jaws to hold your frame, and use a really good screwdriver to remove the screw.

You are fighting the staking which should be easier than trying to move it seized on the threads. I suppose you could try a old school manual impact driver, but I’ve always had luck with it in a vise. 

Thanks for the suggestions/comments guys!

I had the frame secured in a padded vice today and used an excellent fitting bit (test fit with the new screw as I suspected the staked in one would not depart easily/willingly) to try to remove the screw and the B*tch wouldn't budge.  Started to strip the screw head so I stopped.

Going to try the manual impact tomorrow. 

Edited by muncie21

5 hours ago, Polymer said:

Do you guys restake it when you put screw back on?

Interested to see what folks say, I stake when I can't feel a drag on old stake mark when tightening.

FWIW on one of my guns (75 9mm) I found that the factory had apparently missed the screw when they staked it, screw was not tight but gun worked fine. 

Impact driver was the ticket to getting the screw out- Thanks for the recommendation! 

BTW, not only was this b*tch staked (2 places) it was also loctite'd :angry: And to top that off, the Shadow 2 mag release won't work in a TS.  Going to start a new thread on that one though.

Thanks again for the help/suggestions!

Here's the link to the post about the Shadow 2 mag release: linky

BTW, it's an easy (well relative) way to run standard CZ mags in a TS frame.

Edited by muncie21

9 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Impact driver was the ticket to getting the screw out- Thanks for the recommendation! 

BTW, not only was this b*tch staked (2 places) it was also loctite'd :angry: And to top that off, the Shadow 2 mag release won't work in a TS.  Going to start a new thread on that one though.

Thanks again for the help/suggestions!

That’s really good to hear! I’ve never had to re-stake or loctite the screw, I’ve always made a note at where the position of the screw head as a visual index as to where it’s suppose to be. I haven’t had one bump up or down.

Cajun Gun Works recommends staking the screw and to not use loctite, as stripping the screw head renders removal impossible, but I think you would be okay if you used just a small dab of Purple Loctite, which is a super low strength threadlocker. For subsequent removals, as long as you have a good purchase on the screw head, I think you will be just fine. 

I nearly stripped out a screw in the past. I found a good cheap screwdriver that fit the head as best as I could, torched it till it was red hot. Then I placed it on the screw for a bit to transfer the heat before unscrewing it. I disposed of the old screw and installed a new one. I believe I used a drop of blue Loctite on the new screw.

4 hours ago, Lior said:

Remove the trigger pin first so that the screw's serrations don't mess up the trigger spring.

I started to do that until I discovered that you can lift the leg of the spring up and away from the screw head.