Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brownell's Colt 32rd Mags

Has anyone given the Brownell's Colt 32rd mags a shot? I've been told that the finish and quality look nicer than the OEM/Metalform mags, but I'm more concerned about the feeding and reliability of them. How are they compared to the metalforms?

14 hours ago, KzBoost said:

Has anyone given the Brownell's Colt 32rd mags a shot? I've been told that the finish and quality look nicer than the OEM/Metalform mags, but I'm more concerned about the feeding and reliability of them. How are they compared to the metalforms?

They are metalform. I have metalform and Brownells. They are identical in every way.

The biggest advantage of the Brownells mag vs the cheaper blued metalform is the coating

i tend to get lazy when I put my stuff away, the Brownells mags are fine, but the metalforms will have a coat of surface rust on them the next time I use them

4 hours ago, rishii said:

The biggest advantage of the Brownells mag vs the cheaper blued metalform is the coating

i tend to get lazy when I put my stuff away, the Brownells mags are fine, but the metalforms will have a coat of surface rust on them the next time I use them

Thanks for the info! What do you do to prevent that surface rust on the metalform mags? 

Hello: I have the 32 round PSA Metalform mags and they don't rust at all. I also have some Metalform 20 round mags and they have the same coating as the PSA ones. I think maybe the old Metalforms were just blued and did rust. Been a while since I have seen those or the converted Uzi mags. Thanks, Eric

I bought all my PSA's in the recent sales they've had, and all mine have come with regular blue finishes. Eric, I bet you got some they made for Brownells. Good score! I had ordered the Brownells 3 pack of their mags, and did like the finish, but not at the premium they cost, so I sent them back. They had a duller, slicker finish than the PSA mags. Some of my PSA's have their logo on the base plates, some don't.

On 7/29/2017 at 0:25 PM, rishii said:

At 12.99, I don't care if there is a little surface rust. I haven't experienced that in mine, in AL where it can be pretty humid.

All my PSA metalform mags will surface rust if I don't wipe them down with a light oil after each outing. If I use a mag in practice or a match it will show signs of rust shortly after. The ones I don't handle when shooting will go longer but will still eventually surface rust.

I left one of my Metalform mags in my shooting box for a month. When I went to use it the base plate had surface rust starting but the body was fine.

The majority of my mags are older C-Product or ASC which I believe are made from Stainless Steel. I have never had an issue with rust from them. And they run prefect....have heard all kinds of bad things about ASC and C-Product mags, but all dozen plus of mine work 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

So finally got the Brownell's mags. They look identical to the metalform mags and the finish is much better, but I'm having some issues with failure to feed on the last round. I'm not sure what's causing it, but my metalform mags don't have this issue. I do notice that when I load my colt mags, the very first round you load is always loose. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also noticed the bolt locks open on the last round sometimes, before the last round is chambered... Round halfway out of the mag, but bolt locked back.

PS: I'm cycling the gun manually with snapcaps if that makes a difference. They cycle fine with my metalform mags and the last round feeds perfectly and bolt holds open.

Edited by KzBoost