Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Powder Check Die

Do any of you that have a XL650 use or have used the Dillon Powder Check Die. If so, do you think it works well (not "do you think it's worth the money", I'll spend the money on it if it works). I saw on another board that some people recommend the RCBS Lock Out Die over the Dillon, any thoughts on that?

Edited by GregInAtl

17 minutes ago, GR8GIFT said:

I use one and like it. It only shows double or no charge but it works well for me.

So, if it's waaaay not enough powder, but it still put some powder in the case, it won't beep? Example. lets say it puts 2.8 gr instead of 4.0, that would be enough to cause a squib, what would it do then?

You adjust a "V" on the powder measure rod.  The buzzer has a pin that aligns to the V, if not aligned, it buzzes.  I watch where the buzzer fits in the V, if it looks low, you can measure it.  It will definitely alarm on no or double powder.  It will alarm at low or high powder also.  I've never tried to put a hard number on it, but yes it will alarm on a squib.  When I used corn cob media, I've had a few that had a small amount of left over media in a 5.56 brass, it alarmed and gave me a good reason to check out the load.

The thing I like about the Dillon powder check system is it lets me know if there's some type of debris in the case, I.E. tumbling media, spider web, 22 long rifle case, etc. As Cotys relates, you can tell a lot by watching the "V" too!

I have one and like the idea, BUT: I am very hard of hearing and the buzzer is too high pitched. I turned the speaker around and drilled a large hole in the case. I also had a friend wire in a small bulb (wheat germ?) and it hangs down close to the die.

Somehow or other I missed a squib load that lodged a bullet in the barrel, but was loud enough to sound OK, and strong enough to cycle my 1911  and chamber the next cartridge. My new barrel will be ready next week.

Howard

1 hour ago, hwevers said:

I have one and like the idea, BUT: I am very hard of hearing and the buzzer is too high pitched. I turned the speaker around and drilled a large hole in the case. I also had a friend wire in a small bulb (wheat germ?) and it hangs down close to the die.

Somehow or other I missed a squib load that lodged a bullet in the barrel, but was loud enough to sound OK, and strong enough to cycle my 1911  and chamber the next cartridge. My new barrel will be ready next week.

Howard

Ziptie a small auto inspection mirror to the press's frame that reflects directly into the case at the seating station, and get a cheap $3 Walmart clip-on desk lamp and clamp it to the pole that supports the casefeeder. With a ton of light and no need to bend forward, it's much easier to inspect every single case you load visually, after the powder check has done it's job.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, hwevers said:

One other thing is also to have a video system, about $60 in parts. I have one on my 1050 (video below) and will be setting another up on my 650 as well.

13 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

I think I am going to get one of the Dillon Powder checker dies. You can use it for multiple calibers I believe, right

Any pistol caliber. Don't know about rifle.

I have two, one on my .45 ACP toolhead and one on the 9mm. For me, it is a nice safety check, versus visually checking each load. So I can go faster, without worrying. Frankly though, after about 3-4k rounds so far, I've never had it go off, due to some problem. It is pricey, but I like the peace of mind.

15 minutes ago, Mikelindsey said:

I have 5, one each for each toolhead caliber and love it.  I've only been reloading for 5 years and started on the 650 and figured in the beginning it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm glad you said that. I have one on order from Dillon, should be here this week

I have 5, one each for each toolhead caliber and love it.  I've only been reloading for 5 years and started on the 650 and figured in the beginning it's better to be safe than sorry.

For piece of mind, I prefer the redundancy of using the powder check.

You don't need one for every head though. Brian (Enos) set me on this path, but the powder check uses the same lower die as the Dillon Powder measure and the rods are available separately. A single screw and the housing/buzzer can moved.

I have two powder checks that are shared between two presses and a half-dozen heads.

Not a huge savings, but it helps.

FWIW the RCBS die works well, but I always found it somewhat jarring when you were into a good rhythm and the press suddenly locked up.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk