Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I bought a M&P9 Pro CORE...

dogtired

I have to blame having children on the purchase.  I happen to own a M&P22 pistol and what better to teach a kid to shoot?  So then I had to try Carry Optics last month and it was fun.  So then I get to thinking, why not a matching optics ready pistol to ease their transition into the shooting sports.  Then after a whiskey or two I added one to the stable.

Come the test drive.  It is a really light pistol, a little harder than a heavy pistol to keep the dot from dancing.  A little small for my hand even with the large insert.  Accurate enough.  One thing that I had happen numerous times with my reloads is a stuck case after firing, where I had to whack it with a squib rod to dislodge it.  I am assuming it is some Glock bulge thing.  I do use a case gauge before they get the nod for competition and they work in every one of my other 9mm's.  I have seen some mention of it in other pistols.  Any similar experiences ?

Any recoil spring or tuning advice while we are at it is appreciated...

M&Ps have very short chambers.

Try the plunk & spin test. (Drop round into the removed barrel, and shorten your load recipe until it chambers and spins freely).

Once you adjust your Glock recipe so that it drops in freely, it'll extract freely too. Occasionally your "Glock length" ammo will cause a failure to fire because the gun won't chamber it quite all the way.

I plunked and measured and my match ammo is the same length as WWB, which all dropped in nicely.  In my QI in the past the chamber checker would allow this into competition ammo (see pic), as that runs in all my 9mms.  Apparently not in the m&p.

IMG_8936.JPG

More shooting with tighter QI on the finished rounds has "cured" the problem.

I dropped a Glock guide rod with 13# spring in it and it is a pretty nice shooter.  

Stock trigger pull with some minor polishing is roughly 6.5#.  Apex sear in the mail.  

I pulled off the FF3 and ordered a RMR, waiting for that to arrive.  A couple of Springer base pads installed.  Looking forward to trying it in a match.

On 7/30/2017 at 6:00 PM, dogtired said:

More shooting with tighter QI on the finished rounds has "cured" the problem.

I dropped a Glock guide rod with 13# spring in it and it is a pretty nice shooter.  

Stock trigger pull with some minor polishing is roughly 6.5#.  Apex sear in the mail.  

I pulled off the FF3 and ordered a RMR, waiting for that to arrive.  A couple of Springer base pads installed.  Looking forward to trying it in a match.

So a glock guide rod will work on an M&P? If so off which glock and is it captured as I do not have a Glock

Thanks in Advance

Added the Apex sear and it works pretty well.  Trigger pull dropped about 1#.  Sighting in about 9 yards indoors (thats where the light is). 22 rds. There are some backwards 22 holes mixed in.

IMG_9034.JPG

Edited by dogtired

• 2 weeks later...

I briefly tried a lighter spring in my Pro, but, I found that I could get it out of battery, just by shaking it. I didn't like the idea of it possibly firing out of battery so I went back to the stock spring. Now that I have a gunsmith fit, Apex barrel in it, it's probably tight enough that I could try it again, but probably won't.

I played in CO last summer. I shot enough to get classified, but, if I'm going to shoot with a dot sight, I prefer open or PCC

I've owned, and shot a bunch of M&Ps, and they all shoot ok at close range. The real test is at least 25 yards. A good one will shoot 2" groups at 25 yards, a really crappy one won't keep 5 in the A zone. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2017 at 8:52 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

M&Ps have very short chambers.

Try the plunk & spin test. (Drop round into the removed barrel, and shorten your load recipe until it chambers and spins freely).

Once you adjust your Glock recipe so that it drops in freely, it'll extract freely too. Occasionally your "Glock length" ammo will cause a failure to fire because the gun won't chamber it quite all the way.

I had to "fix" all my loaded 9mm ammo to feed through a Kimber pro. Now it works in everything. So much for the "load as long as your magazine will take" advise when you start reloading LOL

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can not say about the stock barrel but my KKM will take a 1.180 OAL with a precision delta 124 JHP.

But the mags will only run with 1.175 OAL..... so that's

My MAX OAL 

20180318_090558.jpg

Edited by fxdc

• 3 weeks later...

True about the short chamber.

As to stock M&P barrel accuracy....No doubt about it an Apex can tighten things up in the gun and on target...but...I’ve read folk making the statement that their stocker M&P barrel groups better when it’s dirty.  I’d like to make an observation on that as I’m currently dealing with the same.  

Brass needs something to hang on too.  Dirty cambers do *sometimes* cause accuracy to IMPROVE because the brass sticks in the chamber.  I’m talking dewell time.  During expansion, as the bullet is leaving, to clean or polished chamber and the gun will start to cycle..unlock.  Notice the 1911 brass at the range that have a smeared primer strike...that’s prolly what’s up.  Grimed chambers offer more for the brass to grab.  (Yes..I know full well there’s more to the story of why some M&Ps have accuracy issues.)

I’ll be ordering an Apex soon.  Until then, I’m not cleaning her up before a match.  

....She likes to play a little dirty.

CB

drop in the Apex flat faced forward sear kit.

I almost sold my Performance Center 9L before I had that kit dropped in.

I now also have a KKM non ported barrel as well in mine and it's a tack driver.

plinking 12" steel plates at 50 yards yesterday with the Jpoint shield mini sight 147 gr AE rounds  .....no problemo