Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triple Six

eric nielsen

I tried this last night - WOW - what a great drill. Try it, here's the thread from Max Michel's website: Triple Six

When I first saw it I thought it would be better to start at 25yds, then go 15 then 7. Now that I've shot it some I think it's perfect as is. Left the scores in my shooting bag but my best raw time was 6.98; the best score I had [in 3 tries] was 7.58. Time of 7.18, down 2 C's. Post your scores - Jake, Steve, Ron??? - because knowing the net time to beat is a real motivator.

Couple of times I forgot to hit "Comstock Go" at 15 or 25 but I just remembered my times and added them up. I shot it all on one target at the indoor range. Pretty much every time I thought I was falling behind - shooting slow - I'd look at the timer & it would be the fastest time yet for that distance. And all A's.

This was the first real workout I've given my new Open gun and I think the killer practice session was all a result of not being able to chrono. I brought lots of powder/bullet combos but couldn't put my skyscreens downrange so I just practiced with my Match ammo. Now I'm fine with shooting HS6. B)

A cool way to spend 90 rounds of ammo would be to shoot this drill standing, then low-port crouching, then left barricade, right barricade, then set up as if moving right-to-left [my weakest shooting stance].

Has anyone shot this S-H-O or W-H-O?? I'm so geeked up about my Open gun groups with the weak & strong hand that I'm thinking of shooting Triple Six at 7, 15, and 25 yards SH, and maybe 5-10-15 yards WH.

Looks like a great drill.

Somewhat off topic but when you read different people's writting sometimes you can just feel the positive vibes coming off of the page. No, I'm not drunk. Really, you can feel the excitment about the drill just jumping off the page. I don't say this in a bad way, it's just nice to read stuff by others who are bitten by the same bug. It's addicting isn't it?

Came back from the range tonight. Just a couple of hours there. Dry fire at real targets at real ranges, grip and rip draws, draws that had to be A zone quality, group shooting and I ran the classifier that I will shoot tomorrow a few times. Can't get enough of this stuff.

Back to your drill or rather Max's drill. Sounds like a great one to run at a local match for a course of fire.

Rick

This is an excellent drill !!!! :)

I also do a flip to it.....

shoot all 3 in one string with a reload between targets.....(need 3 targets to do that )

yes it is a good stage for a match. (except you can't do the time penalties)

SAM

Copy of the drill for those who don't like to click again, (or thier internet is being crappy like mine <_< )

Triple Six is a great drill. It will teach you exactly what you need to see at different distances.

Set up 3 targets at 7, 15, and 25 yards. You will shoot 3 strings here but keep track of your overall time.

String one- Draw and fire 6 rds into T1.

String two- Draw and fire 6 rds into T2.

String three- Draw and fire 6 rds into T3.

The point of the drill is to see how fast you can shoot at every distance but keeping them in the A-Zone. Every point you drop, you must add time to your overall time.

A- +0

B/C- +.20

D- +.50

Miss- + 1 sec.

So if your total time is 9 sec for the stage and you dropped 5 C's, then you really shot the course in 10 sec.

I shot this drill a few months ago with my G35 in minor 40. I did it in something like 10 or 10.5 (with time added for 3 C's). I need to practice it again. I had a pretty damn good run until I got to 25yards.

Off topic-Eric, you know of any ranges open on Fridays during the day we can shoot at here in Tampa/Pinellas Co? I know St Pete is closed Fridays.

I plan to try this drill this evening. I want to give the new open gun a workout and check out some new steel loads. I shot it last year with my Glock in about 13 or 14 with points added. Just never could shoot the gun that well at 25. I always hated the sights.

Mike

I had the most frustrating practice session ever on this drill and a variation of it tonight. I was either shooting before seeing the sights, or having no visual patience and trying to shoot .35 splits at the 25 yard target, or I'd forget to reload between strings -----Aaaargh!

I did mange on the third attempt to put a run together where I didn't forget anything and sort of saw the sights ----- I saw them on all three targets, but I let them droop for two rounds on the far target. Total time: 13.63, 6 Alpha on each of the close two, 4 alpha, charley, delta on the far one.

1.52, 1.69, and 2.26 second draws. Splits on the seven were around .27-28; on the fifteen they were around .52-.57; on the far target around .80-.82......

Later I tried shooting it as an El Prez a few times ---- but quit when I couldn't nail the reload. I'd shoot the first six rounds, and pause to admire my handiwork, while ejecting the mag into my left hand. Then I'd eventually realize that I wasn't done, drop the mag and continue on. I set it up with the 15 yard target on the left, the seven in the center, and the 25 on the right ---- I'll have to play with it some more on Friday. It looks like it has the potential for teaching me a lot. Remember Brian talking about the fifteen yard target being at the ultimate practice distance? Why, oh why, does it take me only .17 longer to draw to an A at 15, as opposed to at seven yards? Why is my seven yard draw so slow? Lots to ponder....

I never understood why people always feel they need to improve upon something that doesn't need fixing.

This may sound harsh but leave it alone until you can shoot it under 7 seconds adjusted time. Once you can do that, then think about changing it....if you can't do that you need to focus on shooting the drill rather than brainstorming ways to improve the drill.

It isn't meant as a reload drill...it is meant as a speed drill which is why there are 3 strings.

I never understood why people always feel they need to improve upon something that doesn't need fixing.

This may sound harsh but leave it alone until you can shoot it under 7 seconds adjusted time. Once you can do that, then think about changing it....if you can't do that you need to focus on shooting the drill rather than brainstorming ways to improve the drill.

It isn't meant as a reload drill...it is meant as a speed drill which is why there are 3 strings.

Did not mean to impugn the drill, I like it. I was thinking about the S-H-O and W-H-O since it seems logical that this would be a good test of those skills also.

Trying reloading between targets is just a curiosity thing.

SHO and WHO are always good to do....in point of fact I do most drills freestyle then SHO and WHO...

I'm not trying to stifle creativity....I just don't think you need to be creative in thinking of drills as there are already enough drills out there to work on every aspect of practical shooting there is. I've always been the person who would rather be practicing than thinking of ways to practice.

I'm not trying to stifle creativity....I just don't think you need to be creative in thinking of drills as there are already enough drills out there to work on every aspect of practical shooting there is. I've always been the person who would rather be practicing than thinking of ways to practice.

odd thought.. but if people didn't use their creativity to begin with we wouldn't have the drills we do today.

6 reload 6 always interesting I will have to try 6-6-6 that could be a better drill than 2 reload 2 for determining "real" reload speed.

I regressed a little the 2nd time out. Run of 6.88 but points down made it 8.08.

Just knowing the consequence of the 'messy' shots really motivates a person to take the required time to see what you have to see.

Incredible "visual patience" builder.

I did it barricade-style just for comparison to freestyle. Not to set a mark, just to see that the recoil recovery is different and takes a little longer. I've thrown some bad shots in matches around barricades and foot-faulted walls and now I see why.

Shot this today:

"C" Production (G34, Comp-Tac)

7 yards, 2.25 - 6A

15 yards, 6.63 - 6A

25 yards, 8.62 - 4A, 2C

17.5, 16A, 2C =86 points , 4.9142 HF

17.9 scored as posted. A bit-o-work remains to get to "under 7 seconds".

David C

This is an excellent drill !!!!  :)

I also do a flip to it.....

shoot all 3 in one string with a reload between targets.....(need 3 targets to do that )

yes it is a good stage for a match. (except you can't do the time penalties)

SAM

Did this today - idea was from this thread. Seemed to go over well with all the shooters. Had some shooters (the ones I saw) do it in the 8+ range with good hits. LOTS of mikes from the speedy crew and newer shooters. :D I like it! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have my G35 top-end on the heavier G17 frame while my slide is getting work done.

Limited - 7.54, down 4 C's = 8.34

The following runs got worse. Shooting with no tape over the left eye so I'm still sorting out what to see & when.

Seems like at 15yds & closer, if I focus hard on the front sight the "2 targets" kind of overlap & that bothers me, so I split the focus out to just see one fuzzy target. Out past 20 yards a front sight focus puts the 2nd "ghost" target well off to the side & that's no problem.

This will probably all go to pieces in a match...

Eric,

It might go out the window during a match. When I first starting shooting with both eyes open, numerous times, I would start getting a little confused and the next thing you know, the stage is over and you remember shooting several targets with hardly any sight picture, just point and shoot. That was scary. Even more scary when the hits were there and I KNOW I didn't have the sight pictures I should have. Just lucky, but then you think you can get away with it because if it worked once, it'll work again, right?? WRONG, you blow it when you least expect it.

Been there, done that.

Already happened last night. The first stage finished with 2 head-shot-only targets at 10 yards, where I had only practiced full targets without the tape.

T1 = 2 mikes. T2 = 2 A's in one hole, almost but not quite perfect double. I have no idea what I saw on those four shots.

[stage 2 I put some tape back on my glasses.]

Ok here is my go at Triple six. Been shooting for about 10 months. C class Limited shooter U class open. Just started shooting open.

String 1 2.77 5 A 1 C

String 2 2.90 5 A 1 C

String 3 3.78 4 A 2 C

Reshot 3 because that was terrible and did 4.24 6 A