Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steely speed VII advice?

I'm shooting my first classifier next week, cm-06-10 "steely speed VII".

Seems like an assessment of

1) a decent draw speed

2) ability to call shots and move on without watching steel fall.

I made a scaled version in my basement and have been working it a bit. 

Questions:

1) Is it better to back off the barricade so that my muzzle is behind or stand closer and assume I'll work around it? I personally like shooting off of obstacles but if so, my hands are stretched out to start position and much further from the draw (and I'm already a glacial 1.85 draw).

2) Did you start off to the side at the buzzer? 

3) If the targets were farther apart, eyes obviously lead...but I find myself keeping a hard focus on front sight and just inching it right to left to work the targets. At 12 yards, what should my eyes be doing? 

Thanks! 

Edited by Covfefe

3 minutes ago, Nghthwk1911 said:

Did you shoot it today at ESPS?

Right handed shooters, go right side of barricade, start on far left Mini, and work to the right.

I did not.

I hadn't considered shooting left to right, mostly because the shot off the draw would be on a smaller target.

What makes left to right preferable? 

Thanks! 

The best I've ever done on that one (~75%) was when I just drew the gun and started blasting as quickly as I could with a target focus and the front sight centered on the fat part of the poppers.

That was in Limited division so I had plenty of rounds for makeup shots if I needed them. Had I been shooting Single Stack major that day I would have probably slowed down.

Right handed shooter - starting on the right side big popper and going right to left.