Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated vs Plated Bullets

kmaultsby

Not looking for which is better more looking for opinions.  This my issue I have shot BBI,  Xstream, and Bayou liked all three in 9mm and 40 S&W.  Shooting IDPA & some USPSA all production minor.  I live in California and I mostly mail order but I do have a local dealer that sells Xstream, and the prices are fair, so if bullets right away I can plated bullets.  Now I know I will use less powder using coated bullets, I have some friends and it has  happened to me also when they load coated bullets and used a bullet puller to pull the bullet back out we notice on the bottom edge of the bullet the coating is scraped off no matter how much we bell the case.  Anyway before making my next bulk purchase just would some opinions.

What do you mean by "bottom edge"? If you are referring to a nick at the base of the bullet, it's from the impact puller.  The bullet pops free of the case, bounces off the plastic end and hits the case mouth.

If it's on the bearing surface (sides) then that is due to loading.

Plated bullets from everything I have read is less accurate for some reason that either FMJ or coated lead. I use BlueBullets and none that I have pulled have had any coating scraped off. In fact it is super thick and tough compared to the HiTek coated ones I have handled.

Coated bullets are always more accurate for me than plated. Plated bullets are preferable to throwing rocks at the targets, but only barely.

Youre doing something wrong. I've never had coating chipped or cut. Use just barely enough crimp to re-straighten the case walls and bell the case generously and you shouldn't be having problems.

What press? Got any photos?

As mentioned here a few times, I can pull mine without a problem. Potentially the bullet puller whacking the bullet as you swing it and it bounces around? Try and load a super slow one and see what it does. Make sure they are going in generally as straight as possible. 

14 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What press? Got any photos?

Send Pictures.

Shameless Sponsor Plug. Bayous are the best. 

3 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I don't get why everyone says plated or less accurate? I think its more of a stigma than actual fact.  

I think it depends on your gun. I had a wheel gun that didn't like extreme plated at all but was fine with coated bullets. It I had to guess, I'd say the barrel was a little big and the softer lead expanded when fired giving me better accuracy. Once I switched to coated I never saw a reason to go back to plated, so I can't say if any of my other guns have similar problems.

Also guns that don't lock up tight will tend to be more accurate with softer bullets. So coated and plated may perform better than jacketed in some loose guns.

10 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I don't get why everyone says plated or less accurate? I think its more of a stigma than actual fact.  

Accuracy I never had a real issue with. Can honestly say that once I get a bench zero on a gun thats 'close enough' I never go back and shoot for accuracy....this isn't bullseye. 

I will say the coated are more consistent in my Chrono. BBI, Blue and Bayou (all I have shot) consistently have low SDs and Extreme spreads. where my 45, 40 and 9mm xtremes seemed to have wild variations in speed. Also worth noting that this was early in my shooting and reloading "career" so that inexperience might have a factor. Once i switched to coated I haven't looked back. even if Xtremes were sent from the heavens to me, I couldn't justify the price increase.

for Xtreme at 82ish dollars per k of 124gr 9s, I'm can load 1000 9mm 124gr Bayous

Edited by Dutchman195

5 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Also guns that don't lock up tight will tend to be more accurate with softer bullets. So coated and plated may perform better than jacketed in some loose guns.

I don't understand the rationale behind this statement. Guns with barrels that don't lock up tight means the barrel is less likely to be pointed in the same position from shot-to-shot. This decreases accuracy.  Inaccurate bullets will be less accurate in this condition since their poor inherent accuracy will be exaggerated by the less consistent alignment of the barrel. 

Just now, superdude said:

I don't understand the rationale behind this statement. Guns with barrels that don't lock up tight means the barrel is less likely to be pointed in the same position from shot-to-shot. This decreases accuracy.  Inaccurate bullets will be less accurate in this condition since their poor inherent accuracy will be exaggerated by the less consistent alignment of the barrel. 

I read it in a book about fitting 1911 barrels. I think it was from Kart for fitting their barrel. Basically my take on it was as the bullet hit the rifling to puts torque on the barrel. A harder bullet will apply more of that force to the barrel causing a loss in accuracy. Basically the point was if you think your gun is fit tight but it can only shoot wad cutters accurately then it's probably not fit correctly

39 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

The only accuracy issues I have seen with plated bullets were caused by over-crimping or very high velocity (Open/Major).

Over crimping will do it but I have had great results running .40 and 9 plated bullets (Rainier and Frontier, respectively) at 1350-1400+ FPS.

54 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Accuracy I never had a real issue with. Can honestly say that once I get a bench zero on a gun thats 'close enough' I never go back and shoot for accuracy....this isn't bullseye. 

I will say the coated are more consistent in my Chrono. BBI, Blue and Bayou (all I have shot) consistently have low SDs and Extreme spreads. where my 45, 40 and 9mm xtremes seemed to have wild variations in speed. Also worth noting that this was early in my shooting and reloading "career" so that inexperience might have a factor. Once i switched to coated I haven't looked back. even if Xtremes were sent from the heavens to me, I couldn't justify the price increase.

for Xtreme at 82ish dollars per k of 124gr 9s, I'm can load 1000 9mm 124gr Bayous

I get SD of around 8-9 Every time  I chrono my plated bullet load. I think it's the powder. I've only gotten that consistent low SD with Prima V. 

• 1 month later...

The issue I had with Xtreme plated were the 40 cal that measured at .399. The velocity would greatly vary and accuracy was ok. I do prefer coated as they tend to be .401 and produce better accuracy and less velocity deviation. 

2 hours ago, nomore606 said:

The issue I had with Xtreme plated were the 40 cal that measured at .399. The velocity would greatly vary and accuracy was ok. I do prefer coated as they tend to be .401 and produce better accuracy and less velocity deviation. 

I too switched from xtreme for this reason. Received a batch of undersized bullets which made me start to look for other options. Once I found and experimented with hi tek coated, can't say I have a reason to go back to plated.

3 hours ago, nomore606 said:

What were they supposed to measure, .400?  

What did you use to measure? Wouldnt measurements that fine need something other than calipers to be accurate?  

I can't believe that even if they were .001" undersized, that would make a difference?  I could be wrong.  Probably am.   I know i feel that .355 is less accurate out if my G34 than .356. But that's .010 difference.  I can't see how any bullet manufacture could even produce bullets with .001 consistency.  Again,  I may be wrong. 

17 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

What were they supposed to measure, .400?  

What did you use to measure? Wouldnt measurements that fine need something other than calipers to be accurate?  

I can't believe that even if they were .001" undersized, that would make a difference?  I could be wrong.  Probably am.   I know i feel that .355 is less accurate out if my G34 than .356. But that's .010 difference.  I can't see how any bullet manufacture could even produce bullets with .001 consistency.  Again,  I may be wrong. 

Check your math.  .356" minus .355" is .001", and that certainly CAN make a difference!  

Good calipers are capable of measuring .001", but one needs a micrometer to discern .0001" differences.  

The best bullet makers are capable of maintaining +/- 0.0001" consistency.  However, I doubt that level of precision is necessary (or even noticeable) in pistols.  It can make a difference in extreme accuracy, as needed for benchrest rifles.  

1 hour ago, Ken6PPC said:

Check your math.  .356" minus .355" is .001", and that certainly CAN make a difference!  

Good calipers are capable of measuring .001", but one needs a micrometer to discern .0001" differences.  

The best bullet makers are capable of maintaining +/- 0.0001" consistency.  However, I doubt that level of precision is necessary (or even noticeable) in pistols.  It can make a difference in extreme accuracy, as needed for benchrest rifles.  

Well, s#@t!  

Guess I needed some more coffee.  I was arguing with myself. Cause I do agree that .356 is more accurate out of my gun than .355. 

I was thinking .0001.  So, either I cant read or count. 

Edited by B_RAD

Never been a huge fan of plated bullets..  Tried them in my .40 DVC limited with little success HOWEVER

Just today I loaded some 147g Xtremes behind 3.2g TG @ 1.150 OAL for my Glock 34,  3.2g made 133pf,  3.1g made 130pf

The two shots out to the left are me standing free hand, the others are from my bag at 20 yards.    Not bad for plated in a glock!  It will out shoot me.

IMG_2475.jpg