Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-steel Reactive Target Recommendations?

GRD

Folks,

I need advice on non-steel reactive targets. There is a prohibition on steel targets at our club, and we need some new things to shoot at (IDPA).

We're especially looking for targets that could activate swingers, etc. and have zero ricochet or backsplash possibilities. Maybe something like those self-healing reactive targets?

Just looking for experiences and what people like or don't like, what options are out there...

Thanks

Edited by GRD

A long while back there was a discussion of the 'newbold' and substitute targets.. It might still turn up in a search.

Swingers can, of course, be activated by doors, foot-activators, trapdoors, weights, ropes, bowling balls, electric-eyes and other gadgeteering.

here is one I found :

www.alpharubicon.com/leo/reactivetargetkingpin.htm

A quote from the construction intrusctions:

"And yes, for those of you that are observant, that isn’t a ‘normal’ balloon. I forgot to bring balloons with me when I brought the target to the lab to photograph. But never fear, I made a plan! There were free condoms in the ladies’ toilets! [Don’t ask how I know], so I fetched a couple. And yes, condoms do work fine for this application, but they don’t taste nice when you blow them up! :^( ]"

http://www.prolinetraining.com/training/targets.htm

Later, Steven

Thanks standles. I've seen the 'drop on ballon hit' concept before. If I remember right the one I saw had the center of the target cut out and the ballon holding the target up just stuffed in the hole. Pop the ballon, down it goes.

The plastic pipe they use for underground fiber lines is same stuff as that newbold.

It will soak up hits from anything, I've shot it from 6/8 feet with everything I had including slugs.

So if you need a activator you could use that stuff.