Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 LEFT HANDED shooter mag release help

Hawk21

I am new to 2011 pistols and need suggestions on what works for left handed shooters when it comes to mag release engagement.  

I have tried simply hitting the stock and an oversized release with my trigger finger but it's not smooth and certainly slow..... I just received a mitchell right side mag release but my hands are too small for my left hand thumb to reach it.... Is my best option using my support hand (right) thumb for depressing the right side mag release????

As a lefty who shoots lots of double stack pistols, I empathize with you. I tried using my trigger or the middle finger to press the mag release when on the left side. I also tried shifting my grip to get my strong hand thumb to reach the button when on the right side. For me, shifting my grip was easier, faster and more natural. I can't comment on using the support hand to manipulate the button.

Good luck

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

On 7/15/2017 at 1:29 PM, Hawk21 said:

I am new to 2011 pistols and need suggestions on what works for left handed shooters when it comes to mag release engagement.  

I have tried simply hitting the stock and an oversized release with my trigger finger but it's not smooth and certainly slow..... I just received a mitchell right side mag release but my hands are too small for my left hand thumb to reach it.... Is my best option using my support hand (right) thumb for depressing the right side mag release????

I've been using my trigger finger for 25  years.  You can dry fire enough to make it as fast as anybody else......

I am using my trigger finger and I also have small hands. If the release was on the right side I'd have to shift my grip in order to use the release and then re-grip. As RangerTrace said, enough dry fire and it becomes automatic and fast.

Is this with a left side mag release button that is stock?  I initially tried with an STI oversized and it put my trigger finger far away from the frame that I had to wrap it around.

On July 17, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Hawk21 said:

Is this with a left side mag release button that is stock?  I initially tried with an STI oversized and it put my trigger finger far away from the frame that I had to wrap it around.

I use a stock mag release. No button or paddle to accidentally press. The only modification is changing to a reduced power spring. But be warned, you may grip hard enough with your right hand to "press through" and release the mag. This seems to only show up in live fire when the gun is moving around a bit in your hand. 

Shifting your grip to press the button with your thumb is how a huge percentage of the right handed shooters use a release on the left side of the gun. Regardless of what people say, it is not slower or worse to break your grip on a reload. I can still hit the low .8s breaking my grip. 

2 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Regardless of what people say, it is not slower or worse to break your grip on a reload. I can still hit the low .8s breaking my grip. 

Not breaking my grip to reload is worth about a tenth to me. With no breaking of the grip I've gotten as low as .55. Breaking the grip I've never been below .65.

Measure 1000 each way and take the average. I bet you'll see a time difference, even though it may be small.

I'm a fellow lefty as well. I'm actually starting to practice right handed shooting as well. I'm actually cross dominant. Left hand and right eye dominant so certain aspects are easier shooting with the right hand. As some of the others have said just keep practicing and it will feel natural. With the left hand my grip places my middle finger right under the mag release. I roll it upwards to drop the mag. This felt the most natural to me since I didn't like breaking my grip. I also have smaller hands as well. If you already have the mag release on the right side have you looked at the limcat mag release? I use that one. It is shaped like a pill and is long enough that I can reach it using my thumb without really breaking my grip. 

On 7/17/2017 at 6:30 AM, RangerTrace said:

I've been using my trigger finger for 25  years.  You can dry fire enough to make it as fast as anybody else......

Yep that's what I do.   Plus then any other semi auto I pick up I can operate the same way and I like that consistency. 

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I tried posting a pic of my open gun but I guess It's too big. I have the Mitchell right side mag catch. I have to adjust my grip to hit the button with my left thumb but it's far superior, in my opinion, than using my index finger on the stock mag catch setup. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:23 AM, enzo357 said:

Just use the trigger finger. It gets smooth. Plus helps you keep your finger off the trigger during a reload.

X2 practice and you can be as fast as anybody.  I shoot an Edge and my thumbs wouldn't reach either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/3/2017 at 11:28 PM, wolf1389 said:

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=MCMC&n=Mitchell-Custom-Mag-Catch--Right-Side

speed shooters has the right side mag catch for the 2011 in stock. 

Looks like everything is sold out. Is there any place else? I am left hand and the mag button on my STI is so stiff. It's really difficult to have multiple successful mag changes.