Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why

Joefischetti

Practicing at a local club with my AR for an upcoming match at the 300 yard range. 

I meet some very nice gentleman shooting a nicer than average bolt gun. They have spent thousands more on their bolts but are happy with the same results I get from my simple AR.

Will I do better building a 308 .

Money and equipment does not a shooter make.

However...in the hands of an accomplished precision shooter a bolt gun has a distinct advantage over a gas gun.

Precision shooting is an art all its own. Many shooters try to be precision shooters. Few master it. If you intend to master precision shooting then you will need the proper equipment to do so.

Personally...I am not happy with the groups my quality built AR's shoot. My bolt guns have no trouble putting my AR's to shame...especially at distance.

4 hours ago, Joefischetti said:

They  spent thousands more on their bolts but are happy with the same results I get from my simple AR.

Will I do better building a 308? .

No reason to build a .308 IFF you can beat them with your "simple AR" ....    :) 

If you get to the match, and LOSE, then you might want to consider

building a bolt gun.

13 hours ago, Joefischetti said:

They have spent thousands more on their bolts but are happy with the same results I get from my simple AR.

Perhaps the results you seek are not the same ones he does? 

"You wasted all that money on that Bentley, my '89 Honda civic drives me to work just fine!" 

He might just hate Honda Civics. ;) 

Edited by cas

• 3 months later...
On 7/15/2017 at 12:11 AM, Joefischetti said:

Practicing at a local club with my AR for an upcoming match at the 300 yard range. 

I meet some very nice gentleman shooting a nicer than average bolt gun. They have spent thousands more on their bolts but are happy with the same results I get from my simple AR.

I'd drop the money on the optic and build around a Tikka Action.  The rifle will shoot just as good as custom guns at a much cheaper price.

Optics are important and one should never skimp on optics.

However, Custom rifles built by competent smiths are much nicer than factory rifles. There is a difference.

Now...sometimes the problem is finding a competent Smith.

1 hour ago, dddoo7 said:

Optics are important and one should never skimp on optics.

However, Custom rifles built by competent smiths are much nicer than factory rifles. There is a difference.

Now...sometimes the problem is finding a competent Smith.

True... have all the nicest parts and an incompetent Smith will test your sanity.

The issue with a .308 and a semi auto is recoil. AR platforms recoil takes forever in comparison to a bolt gun with a brake. 

Precision rifle competitions are a game of 2 things: wind and recoil management. Semi auto’s stuff with the later. Also, just about everyone can shoot prone, I’d suggest going to practice positional stuff. 

On 7/15/2017 at 12:11 AM, Joefischetti said:

have you ever heard of sandbagging?

hohohohohohohoho

some people like things they feel are nice. or nicer somehow.

I love walnut stocks.  I really do not want to carry it all day to hunt deer.

Anything lighter would be what I would carry,

• 7 months later...

IMO, ARs can be just as accurate as bolt guns, BUT are a lot harder to be accurate with. It all starts with the rotational mass of the hammer. Plus, as mentioned earlier, it is easier to manage recoil on a bolt gun than an AR. At a precision match, being able to call your misses is huge and it is easier with a bolt gun.