Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Abandoned firearm DQ?

I seem to remember seeing that a firearm that bounces off an abandon table or out of a barrel isn't a DQ
and is a procedural.  I can't seem to find that ruling or I was just imagining it.  Does anyone else remember it and if so, where I can find it?

I believe that if the match rules stipulate a minimum throw distance from the shooter to the abandonment table or barrel (javelin style for long guns and shot put style for handguns), and the firearm bounces out or off of the abandonment table or barrel, miss penalties would apply.....

....but I think this only applies in the modern hexathlon (rifle, pistol, shotgun and the three separate throwing events for each)

ericm

Can't imagine USPSA making that change, every 3 gun match I shoot . Gun with ammo, lands on the ground = DQ. Many are ANY gun on the ground = DQ

There are a few, that if you drop an unloaded gun during the CoF , pick it up and move on. I have no problem with that.

I've been at some matches where if the gun falls out it is a stage DQ. Many others match DQ. I haven't been to a match where dropping a unload gun is a DQ, but the match director should make that clear in the match briefing. But if you are dropping unloaded firearms it is a warning to look at your holsters and slings.

9 hours ago, toothandnail said:

Can't imagine USPSA making that change, every 3 gun match I shoot . Gun with ammo, lands on the ground = DQ. Many are ANY gun on the ground = DQ

There are a few, that if you drop an unloaded gun during the CoF , pick it up and move on. I have no problem with that.

Well... apparently they are NOT making this change.  

The applicable rule has been renumbered to 10.5.3.2 in the July 2017 Draft rules (was 10.5.6) that have been posted for comment ...but the wording has not been changed.  If you don't get the weapon in the abandonment "retention device", it's a DQ.

Edited by Rookie

15 hours ago, ericm said:

I believe that if the match rules stipulate a minimum throw distance from the shooter to the abandonment table or barrel (javelin style for long guns and shot put style for handguns), and the firearm bounces out or off of the abandonment table or barrel, miss penalties would apply.....

....but I think this only applies in the modern hexathlon (rifle, pistol, shotgun and the three separate throwing events for each)

ericm

You've been quiet lately. I'm glad this thread woke you out of your doldrums! He's back! :roflol::roflol:

Yes, please start a survey! LOL!!! 

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2017 at 1:45 PM, kmca said:

I seem to remember seeing that a firearm that bounces off an abandon table or out of a barrel isn't a DQ
and is a procedural.  I can't seem to find that ruling or I was just imagining it.  Does anyone else remember it and if so, where I can find it?

USPSA Multigun it is a DQ, if you throw a gun on a table and it falls off, hits the ground DQ, if you spear a gun into a ditch barrel and it bounces out, DQ.

In USPSA there are no Stage DQ's, only match DQ's.

What you may be thinking of is if you ditch a loaded gun with the safety off, it is 3 procedurals or 30 seconds.

On 7/16/2017 at 5:52 AM, The Donald said:

I've been at some matches where if the gun falls out it is a stage DQ. Many others match DQ. I haven't been to a match where dropping a unload gun is a DQ, but the match director should make that clear in the match briefing. But if you are dropping unloaded firearms it is a warning to look at your holsters and slings.

Dropping any gun during a COF is a DQ, you must shoot at outlaw matches, there are no Stage DQ's in USPSA.

20 hours ago, bret said:

Dropping any gun during a COF is a DQ, you must shoot at outlaw matches, there are no Stage DQ's in USPSA.

All the 3 gun matches in the Texas area are outlaw matches. Some stuff is copied from USPSA but not a lot.

38 minutes ago, The Donald said:

All the 3 gun matches in the Texas area are outlaw matches. Some stuff is copied from USPSA but not a lot.

OP said it was USPSA.

Outlaw matches you have no idea what the RM or RO's are going to do, since they don't have a fixed set of rules.

21 hours ago, bret said:

Outlaw matches you have no idea what the RM or RO's are going to do, since they don't have a fixed set of rules.

Not necessarily true. Most outlaw matches have their own published rules that may even be older and more mature than USPSA, plus we don't have a DNROI publishing interpretations all the time :devil:

15 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Not necessarily true. Most outlaw matches have their own published rules that may even be older and more mature than USPSA, plus we don't have a DNROI publishing interpretations all the time :devil:

I have never seen a published rule set for outlaw 3 gun matches.

Even the regular 3 gunners I see at matches typically don't know the rules and argue over them because they never read a rule book.

5 minutes ago, bret said:

I have never seen a published rule set for outlaw 3 gun matches.

Even the regular 3 gunners I see at matches typically don't know the rules and argue over them because they never read a rule book.

Here are the original, and probably the most commonly used outlaw 3-gun rules: IMA rules . IMA rules trace their lineage directly back to the original SOF matches, and are the origin of "Time Plus, Points" scoring adopted by USPSA.

Edited by StealthyBlagga