M&P 2.0 5" 9mm Competition?

Prov1x

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the slide is cut on your 5" pro like my Performance center 9L, the answer is sort of. My blade tech holster is made for my 9L and my 2.0 fits, but not perfectly. I have to loosen the tension a bit. The reason is the slide cut on the 2.0 is slightly more generous to the width of the portion the forward serration (scallops) are cut into. Because of this I feel it would prematurely wear the FDE finish on the slide so I am waiting to get a dedicated 2.0 holster for it.

11 hours ago, Barracuda said:

Can y'all tell me if the 5" 2.0 is compatible with 5" Pro holsters?

I contacted BladeTech last month regarding a holster for a 5" M2.0. They have one but it is not on their website.  You can contact BladeTech and inquire about it.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine just got a 5", 2.0. He no longer shoots in any competitions, but, went through the S&W armorers course, and got it pretty reasonable, so he got it for a nightstand gun.

I snagged it from him to try out. My first impressions were that the trigger could use a little Apex help, and it seemed to feel a little heavier than my old, 5" Pro.

I shot 115 grain WWB, Federal 115 grain jhp, Federal 147 grain jhp, Federal, American Eagle, 124 grain fmj, Golden Saber 124 grain +P+, Hornady 135 grain flex tip, handloads were Zero 147 grain jhp, with 3.1 grains of VV310 and Federal match primers in once-fired Federal brass, and Precision Delta 124 grain jhp with 4.3 grains of VV320, in Winchester brass with Federal match primers.

Before shooting, the pistol was field stripped, and oiled.

It didn't start out on a good note. It was throwing the brass into my face, and I'm a right-handed shooter. But, the more rounds I put downrange, the better the ejection was, and was putting them to the right, but only 3-4 feet away.

Aparrently, like the 1.0s, accuracy is hit and miss. This particular pistol shot everything in about 4-5" groups @ 25 yards. I had my Pro along, with the gunsmith fit bbl, and Apex competition trigger kit along to use as a base gun, which produced 1 1/2" groups @ 25 yards.

Where the 2.0 really shined was in terms of felt recoil, and muzzle flip.

Shooting the 2 pistols side by side made the 2.0 almost feel like I was shooting a .22.

I WILL be buying a 2.0, but, after playing yesterday, don't know if I can wait until they come out with them in black.

2 hours ago, RH45 said:

Aparrently, like the 1.0s, accuracy is hit and miss. This particular pistol shot everything in about 4-5" groups @ 25 yards. I had my Pro along, with the gunsmith fit bbl, and Apex competition trigger kit along to use as a base gun, which produced 1 1/2" groups @ 25 yards.

Where the 2.0 really shined was in terms of felt recoil, and muzzle flip.

Shooting the 2 pistols side by side made the 2.0 almost feel like I was shooting a .22.

I WILL be buying a 2.0, but, after playing yesterday, don't know if I can wait until they come out with them in black.

The couple early ones I had with bad accuracy were at least double your experience of 4-5" at 25 yards. closer to 10" or worse. 4-5" at 25 yards is not horrible for a service grade polymer framed pistol, though most 2.0 owners report better than that. Mines about half that. My apex barreled 9L is literally the same as yours at 1-1/2". I too was amazed at the difference in recoil with the 2.0.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't wait for black, so I bought a FDE 5".

I really dislike their fix, so it doesn't auto-forward, like the 1.0, especially with the stupid safety levers in the way.

I bought an adapter, and mounted a Fastfire 3 on it, and took it to the range to do some accuracy testing.

Once I got it on the paper, all shooting was at 25 yards.

I shot groups with 6 or 7 factory loads, and 6 different handloads.

What really surprised me was that all were at pretty much the same point of impact.

With most loads, groups were 3-4"

The best groups came from my handloads, on once-fired brass, Federal match primers, Xtreme & Zero 115 hollow point bullets, with VV320 behind them. 4 out of 5 were in a group, less than 1 1/2", with the 5th opening the group up to about 2".

Not as accurate as any of my hammer-fired pistols, but, not bad for a striker-fired, plastic gun.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, turbocomp38s said:

any suggestions on magazines and holster recommendation for this 2.0 5 inch 9mm would be greatly appreciated.  Pretty new to this division. Thanks in advance.

Blade-tech holster with Ben Stoeger Boss Hanger. Mag pouches are a toss up depending if you like to run them bullets forward or bullets out. I prefer the Ghost Pouches and use them bullets out, but you can mount them in the traditional way as well. CR Speed would be another mag pouch option but you can only use those bullets forward. 

15 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

do all the 2.0's have that loaded chamber indicator lever on the top ?  and is that why there isnt a CORE version ? or is the cut farther back.

No. Only the 5" (FDE) 2.0 has the LCI. And Yes it would interfere with the CORE cut. S&W would need to eliminate the LCI to do a CORE cut.

S&W has supposedly enhanced the lock up, messed with unlock timing, and are making the guns to overall better tolerances on the 2.0's.
I have seen videos of 2.0's shooting 2" groups with non target loads at 25 yards from a rest - pretty damn amazing for a polymer gun. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2018 at 11:35 AM, Ray_Z said:

Anybody got any idea when the 5 " will be coming out in black? I don't want one in FDE. Afraid if I drop it I'll never find it! Is there a Pro model in 2.0?

I asked at SHOT, they said 2019. I was hoping for much sooner.

Mike

12 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

With the new Production rules, a 1.0 with Apex barrel and FSS trigger makes a lot of sense.

Is there something in the new rules that don't favor the 2.0? (I looked at the rules and didn't see anything) I have both and I would pick my stock 2.0 over my 1.0 with Apex bbl any day.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:02 AM, mpeltier said:

Is there something in the new rules that don't favor the 2.0? (I looked at the rules and didn't see anything) I have both and I would pick my stock 2.0 over my 1.0 with Apex bbl any day.

Nope, but the key advantage - IMHO - of the 2.0 in Production was the improved accuracy out of the box, the "improved" trigger, and the improved grip texture. Now (well, after 90 days) you can drop in an Apex FSS trigger and barrel, and stipple anywhere you want on the grip, so the advantages of the 2.0 have largely disappeared. Certainly there is nothing wrong with the 2.0, but the 1.0 is available now in black and likely at lower prices (though I confess I haven't looked... I already have ample 1.0s in my safe), so this may be a good alternative route to a Production-legal top performer.

I did see someone mention here that the 2.0 recoiled softer than a 1.0. I have not really noticed that with my 2.0 Compact, but it may not be a true apples-to-apples comparison.

22 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Nope, but the key advantage - IMHO - of the 2.0 in Production was the improved accuracy out of the box, the "improved" trigger, and the improved grip texture. Now (well, after 90 days) you can drop in an Apex FSS trigger and barrel, and stipple anywhere you want on the grip, so the advantages of the 2.0 have largely disappeared. Certainly there is nothing wrong with the 2.0, but the 1.0 is available now in black and likely at lower prices (though I confess I haven't looked... I already have ample 1.0s in my safe), so this may be a good alternative route to a Production-legal top performer.

I did see someone mention here that the 2.0 recoiled softer than a 1.0. I have not really noticed that with my 2.0 Compact, but it may not be a true apples-to-apples comparison.

A new 5" 2.0 is $499.00 at buds and a 1.0 5" pro (the closest equivalent) is $574.00. Add an APEX bbl to the 1.0 and you have $275.00 more in the 1.0 and it does not shoot nearly as soft. If you don't have either, the best money would be on a 2.0 in my opinion. Shooting both my 2.0 and my Performance center 9L (with APEX bbl) the 2.0 blows it away. Accuracy is very equal but grip, recoil, trigger reset are that much better. I even have the Apex RAM and even though it helped the feel of the reset in the 1.0, the 2.0 is still much better. Both guns could benefit from an APEX trigger kit, but thats a wash between the two. The recoil of my 2.0 compact is about the same as my 9L, but I'm not using the 2.0C for competition. Of course there is the FDE color. Some people just can't get past that. I don't care what color it is (except pink, LOL) if it does what I ask it.

Edited by mpeltier

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 12:47 PM, mpeltier said:

A new 5" 2.0 is $499.00 at buds and a 1.0 5" pro (the closest equivalent) is $574.00. Add an APEX bbl to the 1.0 and you have $275.00 more in the 1.0 and it does not shoot nearly as soft. If you don't have either, the best money would be on a 2.0 in my opinion. Shooting both my 2.0 and my Performance center 9L (with APEX bbl) the 2.0 blows it away. Accuracy is very equal but grip, recoil, trigger reset are that much better. I even have the Apex RAM and even though it helped the feel of the reset in the 1.0, the 2.0 is still much better. Both guns could benefit from an APEX trigger kit, but thats a wash between the two. The recoil of my 2.0 compact is about the same as my 9L, but I'm not using the 2.0C for competition. Of course there is the FDE color. Some people just can't get past that. I don't care what color it is (except pink, LOL) if it does what I ask it.

I've got a 1.0 in 9mm that I use for production. It feels great. Even though I've tried OP's tricked out M&P's I still can't see enough difference to go the extra bucks. The only thing I haven't done is ruff up the grip more. It's like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. I just can't get myself to do it.