Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope Feedback

OliverHerzog

Howdy Ya'll

Im looking for a little feedback on some scopes from ya'll and I'm looking for a new scope for my 3 gun rifle which is also my hunting and target rifle. Currently I'm using a Burris XTR 1-4 with a BDC reticle that I've had for over 5 1/2 years and I'm ready for something with a bit more magnification. I've been looking at one of three optics: Leupold Mark 6, Leupold Mark 8, or a US Optics SR-8C but I am open to other ideas. I know they are expensive but I know Ill get good use out of whichever I get and that it'll be a good investment. Could anyone with experience with any of those optics or something like them please let me know what you thought of them and the pros and cons that you found. 

I really appreciate any help or input.

Oliver

Ive seen the XTR 1-5 and one of my chief complaints with my current scope is the horse shoe type reticle, which is the only style of reticle for the XTR. Ive just come to not enjoy shooting with it as much as I do with traditional crosshair reticles.

Thank you for the input. If the Leupolds or the US Optics dont work out I'll definitely consider the XTR!

On 7/14/2017 at 6:54 AM, Cuz said:

Have you looked at the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x scope? Or did you want more than 6x ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuz,

Thank you for letting me know about that Vortex, I did not know that scope existed. I am wanting something with a little more magnification but that scope is far smaller pill to swallow than those other three. I have several Vortex optics already and really think they are fantastic scopes for the cost.

5 hours ago, ccrbum said:

not sure if its what you're looking for but the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 is pretty decent 

CCRBUM,

My big complaint with the strike eagle is the reticle. I'm not a huge can of those horse shoe BDC type reticles. I did see though that Vortex did just make a 1-8x Strike eagle.

Cuz,
   Thank you for letting me know about that Vortex, I did not know that scope existed. I am wanting something with a little more magnification but that scope is far smaller pill to swallow than those other three. I have several Vortex optics already and really think they are fantastic scopes for the cost.

No problem. I'm currently beating myself up trying to decide between the 1-6x Gen II PST or the Burris XTR II 1-8x. Just can't decide, but leaning towards the Vortex. I wish there were more online reviews of that model Vortex available.

3 minutes ago, Cuz said:

No problem. I'm currently beating myself up trying to decide between the 1-6x Gen II PST or the Burris XTR II 1-8x. Just can't decide, but leaning towards the Vortex. I wish there were more online reviews of that model Vortex available.

That is my big dilemma as well. I've been very happy with the performance of my Burris, Vortex, and Leupold optics which makes deciding a lot more difficult!

On 7/18/2017 at 2:11 PM, OliverHerzog said:

CCRBUM,

My big complaint with the strike eagle is the reticle. I'm not a huge can of those horse shoe BDC type reticles. I did see though that Vortex did just make a 1-8x Strike eagle.

Totally understandable! 

• 1 year later...

I have been going on a scope-a-palooza of late, trying everything out there.

I have shot using the Trijicon Accupower 1-8 Mil, Vortex Viper PST II 1-6, and most recently, the Nightforce NX8 1-8 Mil.

Accupower - Not daylight level illumination here in South Texas. Otherwise very nice with great glass and a useful reticle. A little heavy for my needs.

Vortex - Great illumination with the center dot nearly Aimpoint bright. Eye box was a little unforgiving for a 1-6 and the SFP reticle was rather fine for my eyes.

Nightforce - I thought I had found my scope until I went to zero at 100 yards today and found that the FFP reticle with the 3MOA center dot looked like a freaking manhole cover over my target at that distance. Best glass and features of the three scopes in a very compact and lightweight form factor with a daylight bright 1x center dot.

And the search continues...