Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor bench chrono?

The only range I can consistently access is my local indoor (I'm stuck living in a city for now) and I'm looking to do load development. Is there a chrono that I can shoot through from almost no distance that will work indoors? I'm guessing it doesn't exist, but figured it doesn't hurt to ask. 

-DJ

6 minutes ago, Djp55 said:

This is brilliant. Any experience on it?

No experience with it.  I read some reviews that praised it but I haven't used it and don't know anyone personally who has.  It does look pretty slick though.

Set up an ordinary prochrono digital with the indoor light screens on it. You will need an extension cord to plug the light bulb into.

Every bit as consistent for me at the local indoor range as shooting through it outside on an overcast day. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

23 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Set up an ordinary prochrono digital with the indoor light screens on it. You will need an extension cord to plug the light bulb into.

Every bit as consistent for me at the local indoor range as shooting through it outside on an overcast day. 

Do you run into any issues not being able to be far enough back from the chrono?

At 6ish feet it works just fine. Just hit the range at an awkward time where others won't be packing the place.

(Your average gun owner in the next lane over is well capable of missing a full yard laterally at 6 feet.) :D 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, Djp55 said:

Do you run into any issues not being able to be far enough back from the chrono?

I have been using the Pro for many years and in my experience, 3 paces gives consistent results. I never tried it indoors due to the usual issues.

i would use a Labradar if you can afford it.  It works great indoors since you don't have to worry about lights like normal chronographs.You do need at least 15 yards for it to work good.  I saw the guys comment on 3 of them not working at a match. I have a question about how they were used since there is about a dozen of them at my shooting club and no one has had any problems.  Sounds more like they were not using it correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 6:50 PM, RePete said:

The 3 were aimed at the same time.  They all read 350fps.  This is a know problem.  There have been other problems with them too.  The company knows about most, if not all.

I had similar issues with mine, wound up returning it.  I started a thread on it here a while back.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

At 6ish feet it works just fine. 

I wonder if that might depend on the load - a soft load, with

little gas might work okay at 6 feet, but wondering if a load

with a lot of blast, and powder, might require a bit longer

distance?

I usually shoot my 9mm Major at 10 feet    :) 

I just bought a Caldwell Precision Chrono (the Premium kit with the lights, tripod and such) and used that in my house (wait before you all freak out.  :blink: ) with just the LED's and an incandescent lamp on in the corner of the bedroom and it worked fine with a NERF gun.  LOL!  I know that is different than what you are asking, within reason, but I was only shooting from like 3 feet away.  Now I know that general 10 foot rule is because of exhaust gases from the firearm, but my point is, it was very low light and it still picked up my NERF ammo without a problem (by the way, my average was like 30 fps.  LOL!).  So, if it works for something that slow, in that low of light and that close, you shouldn't have a problem with it at an indoor range and a true firearm.  However, I would agree with MM and that I would try and shoot with one wall to one side and no one in the stall next to you, if you can.  You don't need someone else picking off your chrono.  :surprise:

I was able to get a good deal on a Magnetospeed V3, but now I'm running into a few sensitivity issues on it. On my girlfriend's Glock 34, runs fine. My M&P Pro, since the rail is offset more from the barrel, I have to crank the sensitivity up and it'll sometimes read insane data (like 4k fps when I'm running around 900). Then I try it on my AR, a mostly stock BCM, and it can't fit right to get a reading. I'll have to reach out to them to see what options I have. 

For anyone interested, they're response was essentially use the picatinny adapter on the AR and get a keymod > picatinny adapter to run it with. I actually have to run it a hair off the rail do it falls off every 4th or so shot. They essentially said tough luck on the M&P issue though.