Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lost the fiber optic from front sight

mjkten

Will someone please tell me what diameter replacement tube I need for my S&W M&P 9 pro?

I went to the range this morning and realized it had disappeared after about 150 rounds.

I have seen some good video on installing, just need to order the right diameter.

Do any of you have a strong color preference? Green seemed pretty good, not sure if red would be better.

Once I get the sizing, I'll probably order an assortment to try.

Thanks,

Mike.

I'm traveling so I can't answer your diameter question, but my girlfriend has a red on her Glock, I've got a green on my m&p. I think the green is easier to pick up across various lighting conditions and seems to just show up better, at least in my shooting glasses. 

-DJ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BFVCGU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RlszzbS9AGJB3

Green is the brightest and most popular color.

The factory PRO sight uses .060" diameter filament. Aftermarket sights like my Dawson front use a different size FO filament.

Do not get cleaning solvents on the fiber - it'll melt and become brittle. That's the usual way they die early. So wet a rag and use it to scrub the slide. Don't hose down it's exterior.

I got my replacement rods and put in a green one.

It seems like the brightness or intensity of the light is reduced once installed.

Is that normal or am I overheating the fiber?

It's still quite visible outdoors but compared to the loose fiber optic rod it seems dim.

Thanks,

Mike.

It's possible that you may be overheating it. I usually use the blue part of flame to prevent the fiber from black discoloration. Took me few practice to get it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, al23 said:

It's possible that you may be overheating it. I usually use the blue part of flame to prevent the fiber from black discoloration. Took me few practice to get it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not getting any blackening, just maybe a little frosting...I'm tempted to try to polish it but I just might try a few more times to see if I can get different results.

I suppose the least amount of heat necessary to "bulb" the end is what I'm looking for. Probably a minor difference.

Try different brands of fiber optic too. Dawson, shooters connection, etc. they are slightly different if you are looking to maximize visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try using a torch lighter, I don't know what they are really called. Don't actually touch the flame to the FO, take your time. Also, make sure it's tight, any movement will drastically reduce the lifespan. I have found yellow to be the brightest, but not much brighter than green. I bought the four color pack from Amazon last time I ran out. I randomly change colors.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the fiber in my M&P 9 pro countless times after it breaking every 20-100 rounds.  I finally installed a Dawson front sight.  The dawsons have a channel that you melt a bulb of fiber into, and it holds in there much stronger.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, g mac said:

FYI...You can make the dot bigger or smaller by how much you burn/flare the rod ends.

That's a good point. It can make a noticeable difference in dot size.

The problem I haven't found a way to deal with is when trying to make the bulb larger it takes more exposure to the heat and often the bulb end will kink fairly severely leaving the FO with a bend in it right before the bulb end. Then I snip it off and start over. Any ideas on how to avoid the "kink"? lol

1 hour ago, ddc said:

That's a good point. It can make a noticeable difference in dot size.

The problem I haven't found a way to deal with is when trying to make the bulb larger it takes more exposure to the heat and often the bulb end will kink fairly severely leaving the FO with a bend in it right before the bulb end. Then I snip it off and start over. Any ideas on how to avoid the "kink"? lol

Don't pre cut the rods.  inset and get the flame on the end of the rod.  as many have said, more flame larger dot less flame smaller dot.  the make sure its secure in the channel.  once secure, snip excess protruding from barrel and heat to secure.  put away excess rod until you break it again.

I usually heat and form the dot on the Rod itself to the size I want to see from the rear sight.  Then insert in the sight blade, cut to length and then form that one.  For dot size and clarity the dot towards the rear sight is the important one....