Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Jonesjohnm

Bad choice???

Recommended Posts

I purchased an STI Edge in 9mm. It's an amazing gun but I didn't really think it through. I should have ended up with a 40 not a 9 ) : is there any place in the sport for an edge in 9? If not I'll hopefully find someone to trade for one in 40. What do you think?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all respect.... There is always room for another gun. Especially an STI or a quality 1911. If you are asking specifically about competition, my guess is you would need to stay with minor power factor although there are some 9mm major folks around here. That would mean you could shoot in various divisions depending on how you have the gun set up. 

Certainly, if you had planned to take advantage of the scoring "advantage" given to major power factor, then the .40 would probably have been a better choice.

 

C'est la vie....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot all A's as fast as the guy with the .40 does and hope he throws the occasional C.  Other than that take up 3-gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 1911 .45 (which I was using to compete for my club's annual L-10 trophy) was in the shop for a few months once, and I shot my G17 while I waited to get it back.  I'm not the biggest fan of the Glock relative to the 1911, and it was certainly a disadvantage in L-10 for scoring, but that was one of the most fun stretches of time I had in USPSA because it felt like I was firing a .22 after all those years shooting major.  I'm now building a single stack in minor so I can enjoy the best of both worlds.  

 

Is it a 3 gunners pistol?  Yes. Is it going to make you smile ear to ear shooting it?  Hell yes!!!  

 

Don't forget too that you can squeeze a few more rounds into the mag-- shoot all A's with faster splits, pick up a few seconds from no mag change, and it won't seem like such a bad idea. 

Edited by jkrispies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hobbit99 said:

With all respect.... There is always room for another gun. Especially an STI or a quality 1911. If you are asking specifically about competition, my guess is you would need to stay with minor power factor although there are some 9mm major folks around here. That would mean you could shoot in various divisions depending on how you have the gun set up. 

Certainly, if you had planned to take advantage of the scoring "advantage" given to major power factor, then the .40 would probably have been a better choice.

 

C'est la vie....

Those 9mm major shooters are in open. 9mm only scores minor in Limited/Limited 10 and SS no matter what the power factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you are a top competitor, looking for every point for a match win...  go shoot your 9mm in Limited. You will be scored minor.... it will hurt your score as you will get fewer points unless you shoot all A's, and if you are shooting 100% A's you are probably shooting to slow.

 

BUT - the pressure to shoot all A's is great training to get you to focus. And I bet you have a lot of other things to work on that can improve your score more than major/minor, for some time.

 

Once you start noticing that your scores are actually holding you back due to minor, and not your skills/movement/etc  you can always sell the 9mm an buy a .40.....   but I'd just shoot it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sfinney said:

Unless you are a top competitor, looking for every point for a match win...  go shoot your 9mm in Limited. You will be scored minor.... it will hurt your score as you will get fewer points unless you shoot all A's, and if you are shooting 100% A's you are probably shooting to slow.

 

BUT - the pressure to shoot all A's is great training to get you to focus. And I bet you have a lot of other things to work on that can improve your score more than major/minor, for some time.

 

Once you start noticing that your scores are actually holding you back due to minor, and not your skills/movement/etc  you can always sell the 9mm an buy a .40.....   but I'd just shoot it.

These are words of wisdom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sfinney said:

Unless you are a top competitor, looking for every point for a match win...  go shoot your 9mm in Limited. 

 

I shot 9mm Limited for years - never was going to win, anyway, but it was a blast,

 

had a lot of boolits in it, and they were inexpensive, relatively.    LOTS OF FUN    :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2017 at 9:16 AM, GrumpyOne said:

Those 9mm major shooters are in open. 9mm only scores minor in Limited/Limited 10 and SS no matter what the power factor. 

 

Hmmm, yes, I know. I thought that is what I said... "That would mean you could shoot in various divisions depending on how you have the gun set up."

Maybe I was not clear.

Sorry for any confusion...:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just shoot your 9mm in Limited and enjoy it. When you start losing matches by the few points you would have gained in major, then worry about going to 40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2017 at 10:07 PM, Raider26 said:

just shoot your 9mm in Limited and enjoy it. When you start losing matches by the few points you would have gained in major, then worry about going to 40

I kind of disagree with this. Why do so much practice and work trying to figure out the perfect load for the 9mm if you're just going to go to 40 anyway.  I think it's crazy to shoot 9mm in limited unless you have to. The point Advantage just too great for 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say just shoot 9mm for a year, till you get the fundenmentals down and then sell it and get a .40.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I just switched over to major from minor (haven't shot a match in major yet) and comparing my times in practice in 9 vs .40 I may do better in minor! Granted I have a nice soft minor load and was running factory ammo in my .40. 

I'm really just starting out so shooting minor was fairly low on the list of my disadvantages 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gas that pea-shooter up, and let 'er rip tater chip.  I swapped to L-10 minor for a bit and that worked out fine so long as I shot a good many in the alpha.  Funny how that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...