Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Open troubles

Broski

Still having some issues with my G17 open gun. Thought I had it right but guess I was wrong. At our monthly steel match Saturday I think I had one Light strike per stage, which is unacceptable. From the best I could tell it only happened with my hand loads, which is a 125 grain BBI over 3.7 grains of Bullseye powder and a CCI primer.( open Minor BTW) I didn't notice any when using factory WWB 115s. I have put the stock striker and striker spring back in as well as changed the trigger and trigger bar out. The issues dropped by 90% when I changed the trigger bar. Any ideas here? I have a major in 2 weeks and can't afford these kind of problems at that match.

18 minutes ago, mro111lland said:

Use federal primers

or Winchester

CCI primers are harder than most others

I always ran a Jager or Zev lightened striker in my Glocks with Win primers and don't ever remember having light strikes.

Edited by mscott

I've found I need enough recoil spring to close the slide (depends on the slide/gun)

Then 4.5 or 5.0 striker spring and it's fire any properly seated primer

or as said before

use federals

When I ran my open Glock 17 I only had light strikes with my hand loads with CCI primers was when I had high or not seated primers with a Zev lightened striker and 4.0 or 4.5# spring. Check to make sure you are seating them all the way. If you are sure they are seated all the way, then bump up the spring to a 5# and see how that works. I had to do that when I got a good deal on SB primers that were really hard so I could use them up. Might give you a little harder pull on the trigger, but worth it to go bang. I run a Glock 34 now with CCI primers and a 5# spring and they go bang all the time.

gerritm

1. Are you loading on a Dillon 650 by any chance? 

2. For your major, locate some Winchester primers. Those of us with extensive experience tuning a DA gun like a CZ or Tanfoglio can tell you how massive the difference is between those two brands. I need two and a half pounds  (that's a whole lot) more hammer spring to ignite a CCI primer than I do a Winchester.

Yes, Federal are the softest primers. But Winchesters are closer to Federals than they are CCIs. CCI is noticeably harder than either of those. If you don't have time to test and tune your gun enough to have confidence in a CCI-friendly setup... find some Winchester primers and don't change anything about the gun.