Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Head cam?

Wesquire

I have a Mobius.  It's like a $70.00 camera with a dash-cam mode and a sport cam mode... or two sport cam modes.  I've had it as a dash cam for around 2 years and it's still working great.  I don't use it for a hat cam anymore but did when I first got it.  It's a $70.00 camera so don't expect it to perform like a $300 one... but it certainly does the trick if you are after performance analysis and maybe posting some FB/Youtube vids on the cheap. 

I think I've decided on the Runcam 2. Basically an updated Mobius for the same price. In the video comparisons I've seen, it is nearly as good as the Go Pro Hero5 Session. Any recommendations on a good stiff hat to put it on? Preferably low crown/profile.

I've run a Polaroid Cube for several matches now, good video quality, super light and you can mount it easily with a magnet no permanent mount needed.  I tried an original GoPro and a Drift Stealth 2 and I much prefer this setup.  The real upside beside how easy it is to mount is I can pass it off to a buddy if he wanted to try it for a run without him needing to wear my hat or have a hat with a dedicated mount.

I've used a mobius for years.  It is really lightweight and and fairly inexpensive.  I just decided to upgrade to a hero5 session last night so in a few days I will know more about the comparison.  

• 1 month later...

I have a cube as well. I used a few inches I broke off a $1 metal ruler and 2 binder clips (a small one to get the angle I wanted under the ruler and a medium one to actually clip it on the hat). Total cost <$2. Works really well doesn't move. binder clip serves as a index point for the front of the cam so it is always centered. Also is easily transfers to different hats and doesn't damage them. 

I mounted my cube by simply using a rare earth magnet, I leave it on the bottom of the cube while the camera is in my range bag an the simply place the magnet under the brim of my cap and the cube on top and go.  I'm no speed demon as an older fat guy with bad knee's but I don't see that camera moving regardless of the shooter.  I've shot a handful of matches with it and I am really happy with it, the only downside with the older cube is no app to review on my phone so I have to wait until I am at home on the PC to check out footage.

Here is my last match video that is a mix of regular camera/Cube videos, keeping in mind youtube butchers the video quality I still think for the price and ease of use it is awesome. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 11:19 PM, Chili said:

I mounted my cube by simply using a rare earth magnet, I leave it on the bottom of the cube while the camera is in my range bag an the simply place the magnet under the brim of my cap and the cube on top and go.  I'm no speed demon as an older fat guy with bad knee's but I don't see that camera moving regardless of the shooter.  I've shot a handful of matches with it and I am really happy with it, the only downside with the older cube is no app to review on my phone so I have to wait until I am at home on the PC to check out footage.

Here is my last match video that is a mix of regular camera/Cube videos, keeping in mind youtube butchers the video quality I still think for the price and ease of use it is awesome. 

Thanks for the insight, I like this inexpensive option, are there any other drawbacks to the Polaroid cube?

I purchased one of the newly released cubes and when trying to use playback on my IOS and Windows devices I had a screeching noise that was timed with the led flashing on and off.  Polaroid indicated it was an application issue they had no current correction for and to return for a refund,. Which I did thru . Amazon  May want to do a little research if you go with the cube+ 1440p model...

''

Thank you for your response. There was a recent update to the Cube+ application. This update was to resolve our application being compatible with iOS 11. Now this update unfortunately has a bug that is being addressed. An update to the application will be available to resolve this issue with the video playback. At this time, we do not have an ETA on when this update will be released for download through the Google Play Store or through the App Store for iOS.

Since the device was recently purchased and do to this inconvenience, if you are unable to wait for the update to the application, you can have the unit returned at the retailer for a refund.

Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Rafael
Authorized Polaroid Service Provider

3 hours ago, Banacek said:

Thanks for the insight, I like this inexpensive option, are there any other drawbacks to the Polaroid cube?

To date the only drawback for me would be the lack of an app for instant review like the GoPro guys.  On the upside I'm not that dick looking at my phone instead of resetting for other shooters :) 

8 hours ago, Chili said:

To date the only drawback for me would be the lack of an app for instant review like the GoPro guys.  On the upside I'm not that dick looking at my phone instead of resetting for other shooters :) 

Thanks for the laugh, I was thinking the same thing,  I am not going to be checking the video at the range, there are two things I want out of the video, work on some skills and to remember what the freaking stage looked like a few days after the shoot!