Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To cast .223 55 gn, or not cast 55 .223 that is the question

Iaddrummer

Does anyone here cast .223  for three gun?     Trying to see if it's worth it to do or am I better off buying hornady 55's 1000 count at .08 cents a pop.  Does it need a gas check?  Is it accurate? Ect.  Looking for any possible ways to shoot for less for three gun

I have looked into trying it, I even bought the mold, but I haven't gotten around to casting yet.  I know a local guy who casts a 55 grain .225 bullet and uses it in a ruger mini-14.  I have actually shot a few of them.  I think a few things to consider is finding a powder that will give you the pressure/gas volume to cycle the action without being a full-power load.  He said if you could stay around 2200-2400 FPS, that provided the best accuracy.  If you were casting linotype or some sort of harder alloy, perhaps you could push the velocity more.  Looking forward to hearing from anyone else with more first-hand experience.

Yes you will need gas checks curently .03 each.   Last case (6000) Hornady 55fmj .05 ea.  Not worth casting.

Edited by AHI

I've been casting for my .223.   Still in the testing stages.   I'm able to get my gun to cycle using 18.5 gr of XBR 8208.

OK accuracy.  I dont use a gas check but I do use Hi Tech on the bullets.   I use the RCBS 55gr Mold.   92 6 2 lead water quenched.

I basically use them to shot steel at close range.    Hope this helps.

Edited by bodybag0

• 2 months later...

I did some cast bullet work with the .223 in an AR15 with a 1:12" barrel long ago.  Pressures have to be high enough to cycle the action, which is hard on Lead bullets.  The pressures you will have to run will be particularly hard on bullet bases, so the structural support given by a gas check will be necessary.  At velocities over 1400 fps, you need a gas check no matter what, and you'll be over that velocity with any load that will function an AR.  If you are shooting cast Lead out of a AR15, you will need them to be quite hard:  most Lead scrap has Antimony in it already, so add a small amount of Tin, and drop bullets from the mold into a bucket of water.  Too-soft bullets will slump and shoot poorly.  

Lead bullets don't like high RPMs.  AR15 barrels available now are in the 1:9" to 1:7" range, typically.  I have not shot cast bullets in such an AR barrel.  I have recently tried long, hard, gas checked cast bullets in a long barreled Swedish 6.5x55 rifle with a 1:7.87" twist.  Above very modest velocities, bullets stopped hitting the target.  I was not seeing the puff of smoke indicating they broke up, they simply flew very wild.  

My experience was with grooved, gas check bullets, lubricated with 50% Beeswax/50% Alox 2138F.  Data came from an old Lyman manual, and I was using 4198 powder.  The pressures run were high for cast bullets, but low for that powder.  Powders typically burn dirty at low pressures.  The bullet lubricant makes for lots of residue.  

I wanted to be able to say I shot cast bullets out of my AR.  My family comes from a place in Europe where people are known for doing things differently, and being stubborn.  After a session, the rifle was filthy.  Sessions were typically not long before various jams started.  

If you want to do this, get an old Lyman manual.  Get an old, slow-twist AR barrel.  You'll need a tool to bell your case mouths.  I find an AR to function better with lighter lubricants when very dirty.  

• 3 weeks later...
On Saturday, July 08, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Iaddrummer said:

Does anyone here cast .223  for three gun?     Trying to see if it's worth it to do or am I better off buying hornady 55's 1000 count at .08 cents a pop.  Does it need a gas check?  Is it accurate? Ect.  Looking for any possible ways to shoot for less for three gun

Look at berry''s 55 gr. They are plated, but seem to work nice. Better than cast, not as good as plated. If you already cast look into powder coating your bullets. I only cast pistol right now but the powder coating is not hard to do.

On 7/9/2017 at 10:28 AM, AHI said:

Yes you will need gas checks curently .03 each.   Last case (6000) Hornady 55fmj .05 ea.  Not worth casting.

Not worth your time.  I used to cast all my pistol bullets years ago but like I tell everybody that talks about reloading, if you like to reload that is the only reason to do it, I enjoy reloading but now with less and less available time, as much fun as casting and lubing bullets was (OK, I did not like lubing the bullets, but pouring molten lead was fun), I do not have time to cast and now either buy lead bullets (mostly just wad cutters) or plated bullets.  Also, depending on the type of ammo you want to reload and I am assuming that casting 223 bullets, you are not shooting for supreme accuracy, the cost of reloading is less attractive.  

• 1 month later...