Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What cast to buy for 9mm

Iaddrummer

Man you just missed NOE's 20% off sale. Ordered a no lube groove 133gr RN, can't wait to try it.

Currently I'm really liking the NOE .358 155gr TC, accurate, very soft shooting, punches holes almost as clean as a SWC.

For economy the Lee .356 120gr TC is also a good bullet, my 2 cavity dropped small, good for coating, not so good for lubrisizing, I have not heard reports of the six cav. doing this.

We use the lee 125 grain round nose and have had good results.  Be sure to weigh your finished bullets though, depending on  your alloy the weight can be a few grains off of the stated weight.  not enough to cause any issues in loading pressure, but can be enough to make your power factor lower or higher than expected.  Usually my 9mms are ~5 grains heavy but my "200" SWC s for my 45 are 195. 

The LEE 120-356, as stated above, work in every 9mm and 38 I've tried it in.

I have a LEE 358-125 RN. This one only works in one 9mm. Terrible in everything else.

Lyman 356637 comes in heavy at 152+. I use this for my heavy loads. Only tested in one 9mm but works great.

LEE 358-150. I have one 9mm that can shoot this blunt RN bullet. Works great if it fits.

6 hours ago, Iaddrummer said:

I got to do something even cheap white box is starting to add up trying to shoot.  I will be powdercoating and. Ot lining if that makes any difference

Then you want the NOE or MiHec molds - you can get them without a lube groove.

I have this from NOE - http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=84_463&products_id=2066&osCsid=89ebvsldekr1bhr0f74oeqc9m2

It casts wonderful bullets.

Same mold from  MiHic ( MP Molds )  https://mp-molds.com/e-shop/molds/alternative-coating-molds/mp-359-125-hp-pb-4-cav-no-lube-groove

Finding lead is getting harder and harder. Factoring the time and cost if your time is worth anything my suggestion would be to buy hitech coated bullets in bulk from any of the reputable sources. Seems like it would be less of a pain then casting your own and powder coating. Casting your own is fun but takes time and money too.

2 hours ago, warpspeed said:

Then you want the NOE or MiHec molds - you can get them without a lube groove.

I have this from NOE - http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=84_463&products_id=2066&osCsid=89ebvsldekr1bhr0f74oeqc9m2

It casts wonderful bullets.

Same mold from  MiHic ( MP Molds )  https://mp-molds.com/e-shop/molds/alternative-coating-molds/mp-359-125-hp-pb-4-cav-no-lube-groove

I'm too poor for that probably going to get a lee 

So which lee should I get round nose wad cutter??

The 120 gr Truncated cone that's been suggested above a few times.

Lee does not offer a heavy bullet designed for 9mm. Some of the heavy bullets designed for .38/.357 work in some guns if want to gamble.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Lee makes a 6 cavity 150 gr. RN mold for .358. It has lube grooves but I powdercoat mine and I use them in my 9mms and my 38 spcl. and 357. They work really well. I wish that they had a 147-150 RN no lube groove mold, but this one does work well.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I would contact Jared at Arsenal Molds. Jared made me 2 custom molds. First was a 180 grain no lube groove 40 cal. Second was a 147 grain no lube groove in 9mm. Both molds are fantastic. If you have a specific bullet design that is not currently made Jared will work with you too make it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...