Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help: best red dot sight for Protocol Design mover base?

BLUF:  what is the best red dot sight for mounting on a Protocol Designs mover base?

details: need to replace an Ultra Dot that didn't survive the move. Technology has changed a lot in the 4 years I've been on forced hiatus in ROK. Now that I am back, I want to get back into the game. Need a red dot and a timer for practice. 

Looking for recommendations. Can't justify Aimpoint or Trijicon retail price unless there is compelling reason to do so. 

If Ultradot is still the brand of choice, what model is best to replace my antiquated 1 inch model. 

Also, if you have thoughts on a decent practice timer for use on a public range that would help too. Adjustable sensitivity is necessary to filter out adjacent firing points. AA or recharable batteries is a bonus. 

Thanks

john

Best is relative, but these are the most 2 used dot's out there right now.

1. Aimpoint CompM, CompC3, Pro, or ACO model would be great if you can find a used one for a reasonable price.

2. Ultradot Matchdot 1 or 2 would be good options also.

There are some Leupolds, a couple Burris scopes, and Aimpoint micro's out there, but these above are probably the most common.

I started with a Matchdot 1 for a few months, went to an Aimpoint CompML3 for a few years, and now I'm back to a Matchdot 1. I switched back to the Matchdot because I was tired of the flared irregular shape of the Aimpoint dot. If I can get some glasses that fix my astigmatism, I may go back to the Aimpoint, but the Matchdot was very good this year and actually liked using a bigger dot (6 and 8 moa) in a lot of places where I didn't used to.

The Ultra Matchdot with the adjustable on the fly elevation is really good. Matchdot 4, or 6. Also has 4 dot sizes at the turn of the knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have older Aimpoints. Newer ones not so good for what we do.

UltraDot also very good. Take a good look at the Trijicon MRO, be aware they are not cheap, I have used one for about a year. Clean Bright Dot. 2MOA, 3 or 4 would be better for some. Green would be better if they would just make me one.

Jeremy

Thanks for your comments.

Why do you prefer the Matchdot 1 to the Matchdot 2?  I havent used either. My ultradot is one of the originals, a 1" tube borrowed off my bullseye wad gun. 

I think ultradot is the choice for me right now. Just cant justify the expense of Trijicon. The difference in price would buy a season of bullets. Trigger time is where i should focus my budget right now.  

I too have developed a mild astiggmatism with age.  And mild cross dominance. Getting old is not for sissies.

I like the Matchdot II because of the elevation turret. The dot sizes are 2,4,6,8. Perfect for Bianchi. From what I've seen, the majority of Bianchi shooters are running an Aimpoint of some kind or an Ultradot of some kind. These are 2 very reliable brands.

I don't necessarily . The Matchdot 2 wasn't out when I started, and the matchdot 1 that I used this year was just a loaner. The extra, non-round dot reticles on the 2 I wouldn't use, and while the quick elevation adjustable turrets on the 2 are nice.. I would screw up and forget to turn it when I needed to. My current setup has me in the black from 10 to 50. No need to crank on anything but the trigger. [emoji3]

I might even try to get behind a normal Ultradot with the 1 inch tube instead of 30mm. Seems I read something somewhere but I cant remember the benefits. It was bullseye related I think.

Sun optics makes some good rings that get the dot lower than the rings that come with the Ultradot. Kevin highly recommends them. I'll probably pick them up once I make a final decision for next year.

Thanks Jeremy. 

I like the 1" Ultradot for Bullseye. I got it because that's what most guys at my club were using. A few used other dots, but not many. 

My wad gun has a slide mounted dot. The Ultradot held up well to the violence from the 45. It didn't hold up well to government storage and movers while I was in Korea. Waiting to see what else might have been damaged if our next two shipments ever arrive.  Ahh, the joys of government service....  

Since you and Warren recommend the Ultradot 2, that's what I will get. I'm sure it will work great on my 686 built by the best revolver guy in the Midwest. ?  I sure hope he brings a competition hammer kit to market soon!!  I would buy a few. 

I will ill look into the sun optics rings. I have been using Burris low rings for Bullseye. The Ultradot rings just aren't very good. 

I used an Aimpoint for a long time, but last year switched to the Ultradot-6 with a single point mount Burris Xtreme Tactical Low mount. The mount fits the scope almost perfectly between the electronics and scope bell. As Jeremy said, the 2 patterned reticles are useless, but I like being able to change my dot size. The elevation turret is a handy option. Midway currently has the Ultradot-6 on clearance for $243 and the Burris mount can be found online for about $35. 

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/316314/ultradot-ultradot-6-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-2-4-6-8-moa-dot-2-pattern-reticle-matte?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Optics+-+Red+Dot+%26+Holographic+Sights-_-Ultra+Dot-_-316314&gclid=COmaiLLF_9QCFdS3wAodx5AAwg

Burris XTR Xtreme Tactical 30mm Low 1/4" Height Matte Black Single Ring 420161

• 3 months later...
On 7/6/2017 at 3:05 PM, practical_man said:

Also, if you have thoughts on a decent practice timer for use on a public range that would help too. Adjustable sensitivity is necessary to filter out adjacent firing points. AA or recharable batteries is a bonus.

I use the Shotmaxx. It is in a wrist watch format, and uses micro USB for recharging. It has an accelerometer that can detect when you fire a gun, so it can be used even on indoor ranges. But it is a pain to set par times with it.