Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Barrel Question, WHO?

Looking for some help sourcing a new 9mm barrel.  At this point would like a lighter profile seeing I am looking for 16".  Be great if it was not threaded seeing it appears comps are really not that effective on the 9mm or at least that is what I have gathered.

Who are the go to guys or manufactures in the 9mm barrel arena that are accurate and run?

If I wanted to SBR what would the ideal length be for PCC?

There are several threads on this topic. If you are not looking for a comp, I would suggest looking at the taccom ULW barrel (basically a pistol barrel with an aluminum shroud). Keep in mind many of the manufacturers barrels will have to be reamed to run longer ammo (JP/taccom can run LONG from factory). 

As far as ideal SBR length, it really depends. I would go for 8" myself. Keep in mind the shorter you go the less hand guard you have to grip. Some people like vertical grips and would go shorter, I'm not one of them. 

I've had real good luck with both my JP barrels. I've got one of the new stainless Spinta's that looks great but have not tried it out yet. The chamber is not quite as generous as the JP's, but being stainless, it can be reamed. 

I played around with different SBR lengths and like the 10" best.

If you do not go with the JP or Taccom barrel and end up buying a barrel with a short throat, you may not want to get a nitrided barrel.  At a later date you may want to ream the barrel for longer bullets.  That stuff is tough to cut and hard on reamers.  A stainless steel barrel should ream just fine.

Recently I picked up a Spinta stainless steel barrel.  It does allow slightly longer bullets than my nitrided PSA barrels.  In time I may get it opened up.  I did notice that with my match loads, the Spinta barrel gives better groups out to 25 yards (have not tried it further).

As for unthreaded barrels, you may want to reconsider.  Initially I ran just a birdcage on the end of my barrel and had some problems with the timer hearing my shots.  Installed a inexpensive Miculek imitation comp and that blows enough noise back at the RO that I've not had a reshoot since.  Also I think any AR platform gun looks just plain naked without a comp. JMHO.

Bill

Seeing I am new to this why would I want a longer throat?  Longer bullets?  What about mag length or is there some room?  More than likely I will continue to shoot factory ammo.

I agree about the naked looking however I really don't want to be more than 16" and I have yet to see a 14.5" offering.  After looking at the Spinta SS barrels I see they are only offered in 1:16 versus 1:10 like most.  Is that a concern?

Some of the 9mm barrels will not run all bullet profiles to mag length. The longer throat allows you to run any bullet profile to mag length. I think most of the round nose factory ammo should work in most barrels, but its not a guarantee. As others have stated, if you get a stainless barrel it can be easily reamed. Nitrided barrels you are kind of stuck with what you have. To avoid issues period, go with JP or Taccom. The 9mm barrels are all within a pretty narrow price range. If I were building one and didn't want to have to deal with possibly reaming a barrel, those would be my options. 

If you do not go with the JP or Taccom barrel and end up buying a barrel with a short throat, you may not want to get a nitrided barrel.  At a later date you may want to ream the barrel for longer bullets.  That stuff is tough to cut and hard on reamers.  A stainless steel barrel should ream just fine.

If you want to ream a nitrided barrel I had some carbide 9mm throaters custom made that will do the job. PM me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

Some of the 9mm barrels will not run all bullet profiles to mag length. The longer throat allows you to run any bullet profile to mag length. I think most of the round nose factory ammo should work in most barrels, but its not a guarantee. As others have stated, if you get a stainless barrel it can be easily reamed. Nitrided barrels you are kind of stuck with what you have. To avoid issues period, go with JP or Taccom. The 9mm barrels are all within a pretty narrow price range. If I were building one and didn't want to have to deal with possibly reaming a barrel, those would be my options. 

I am shooting 115 grain round nose factory ammo, my Kaw Valley barrel worked most of the time, but on occasion on the show clear command I would be unable to pull the charging handle back and the round would be stuck in the chamber. The Kaw Valley barrels are known for being a little short. It never has happened with my JP Barrel or the new Wilson Arms I got off of Aircooled6racer. So even factory ammo is not always a go in my experience.

Edited by pfcchambers
correction
13 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The Wilson Arms stainless barrels are nice and you can load long with them. For an SBR a 7.5-10.5" barrel length is what I would use. I just built a AR9mm pistol to play with and it has a 8.5" barrel. Thanks, Eric

I've used a Wilson Arms 7.5" for 3+ years with no problems.  Wilson sells via: http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar9mm.aspx

7 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

If you want to ream a nitrided barrel I had some carbide 9mm throaters custom made that will do the job. PM me if interested.

Who made your carbide throater?

I ordered one from PT&G back in March and am still waiting.

Supposed to ship at last today, but 14+ weeks is a long time to wait!

Save yourself a lot of time and hassle and get the JP barrel or something with a long throat to begin with. Things like Stand 1 Chubbies, Freedom "Hush" 165's or BlueBullets 147 reloads are examples of long profile bullets I can run in my JP that will not run in other barrels with a short throats. I can actually load the Blue 147's past GLOCK brand GLOCK mag length and still have them plunk/spin in my JP barrel. This is really helpful if you're bringing a buddy out to shoot and he brings his own ammo. 

Also, the compensator CAN be made to work. Comps on 16" barrel PCC's loaded to minor velocities with fast powders will obviously not "work" as well as a 5" open gun loaded to major with a slow powder. However, you can very much still tune dot movement with the right load. You can also further "tune" your PCC to a specific load, say a shared production gun load, by adjusting the mass and spring weight in your buffer. 

Disclaimer - I'm biased towards JP :rolleyes:

Who made your carbide throater?

I ordered one from PT&G back in March and am still waiting.

Supposed to ship at last today, but 14+ weeks is a long time to wait!

I have them made by a local toolmaker here in SoCal that specializes in cutting tools. They build a custom .22 muzzle brake reamer a friend of mine sells so I talked to them about the problem we're having with 9mm barrels. I was originally going to have coated high-speed steel cutters made after my Clymer HS steel throater lasted barely one melonite barrel, but opted for carbide so I can cut any barrel without dulling out. They are very fast since I had these in less than a week.

2 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Save yourself a lot of time and hassle and get the JP barrel or something with a long throat to begin with. Things like Stand 1 Chubbies, Freedom "Hush" 165's or BlueBullets 147 reloads are examples of long profile bullets I can run in my JP that will not run in other barrels with a short throats. I can actually load the Blue 147's past GLOCK brand GLOCK mag length and still have them plunk/spin in my JP barrel. This is really helpful if you're bringing a buddy out to shoot and he brings his own ammo. 

Also, the compensator CAN be made to work. Comps on 16" barrel PCC's loaded to minor velocities with fast powders will obviously not "work" as well as a 5" open gun loaded to major with a slow powder. However, you can very much still tune dot movement with the right load. You can also further "tune" your PCC to a specific load, say a shared production gun load, by adjusting the mass and spring weight in your buffer. 

Disclaimer - I'm biased towards JP :rolleyes:

Plus one on this, best decision I made to quit screwing around with the short throat barrels, nothing but problems. Bought a JP barrel and have never looked back, buy once cry once. Reliability is the name of the game.

gerritm