Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
rr4406pak

STI DVC Open gun ejection advice needed 9mm Major

I have hours in my mbx mags to make them work. Some say they work out if the bag. None of mine did. As Waco said, it can be so many things.

I know some people that have had feeding issues with pd bullets. Try a different bullet. Perhaps MG. 

If you have a box of factory rn ammo, try it as a test if you don't have any other bullets on hand. 

I must have good Karma or something. When I got my STI a couple of years ago, it would jam sometime on every mag. I sold the STI mags that came with the gun because they were the old style with the inserts that I kept forgetting to put them into the mags when cleaning. I bought all MBX, but was still having the problem. Took it to my local gunsmith who is known for correcting stovepiping. He worked on it for a while and told me that If I wanted consistent ejection patterns I would have to use identical headstamped brass (screw that, I went to 9 major so I could stop being a brass chicken after each stage. My gun came with the original horizontal mount c-more so I changed the mount to a 90 degree one (the old mount was peppered with dents from the brass hitting it. I've run probably close to 90K rounds through that gun with ( no, nada, nic, zero) failure to eject problems. I did have one failure to feed issue last week. Looked like your picture. I'm thinking it somehow got past the crimp station. Other than that, I clean my gun every couple of matches, clean my mags every time I drop them into the dirt. (or every month if they don't need it) My lube is Mobil 1, 0W20 (same stuff that goes in both our cars) Wish I could give you a magic bullet that would cure your malfunctions, I really  hate watching people screw with guns over and over for the same problem. Good luck in your quest, I mean that sincerely, not being a smart ass.

DSC00661.JPG

DSC00664.JPG

go gun 2.JPG

Edited by Bkreutz

I'm not a fan of JHP's for the same feed issue I had back in the day with one of my DVC Opens. I ended up switching to RMR 115 FMJ. 

https://www.rmrbullets.com/products/327143758192672-9mm-115-grain-rmr-full-metal-jacket-bullets-new-made-right-here-at-rmr

I also polished the feed ramp and chamber with a felt bob and compound which probably didn't do anything..  

Update:

Thought I had this problem fixed, sent it out to gunsmith to get worked on, and ran perfect for about 600 rounds but the jams have come back.

This gun ruined another 2 matches for me.☹️

Same jam as always. Cartridge noses up into the top of the chamber and the rear cartridge rim doesn't go under the extractor.

Because the extractor doesn't catch the rim it results in a devastating jam. No amount of racking the slide clears it. Cartridge just hangs there laughing at me.

To recap, extraction and ejection is always perfect with this gun. Failure to feed is THE only issue.

Maybe loading the bullets out to 1.20" will help?

56 minutes ago, rr4406pak said:

Update:

Thought I had this problem fixed, sent it out to gunsmith to get worked on, and ran perfect for about 600 rounds but the jams have come back.

Same jam as always. Cartridge noses up into the top of the chamber and the rear cartridge rim doesn't go under the extractor.

Because the extractor doesn't catch the rim it results in a devastating jam. No amount of racking the slide clears it. Cartridge just hangs there laughing at me.

To recap, extraction and ejection is always perfect with this gun. Failure to feed is THE only issue.

First file off the edges at the chamber entry around the extractor clearance notch and sand everything there so it's lightly radiused and smooth.  This will not fix your issue, but it may stop a few.

Take the slide off your gun.  Put a few rounds in the mag and insert it in your grip.  Take a close look at the alignment and height of everything.  See how much the mag can change position or orientation if it wiggles.  This is most likely your issue.

I see a shooter shoot his DVC every month with blue bullets 124 gr. Never seen that thing jam not once. Don’t know about his load or leading issues but I thinking about some blue bullets myself.

major load.

Maybe try RN bullets? Ive also loaded 95gr JHP at 1.030 with 8.0gr of HS-6 for steel using MBX mags and never had a feeding issue. Then again im not using an STI so idk

Tried RN bullets. Same jam exactly.

Here are some pics from today of the actual jam as it happened:

IMG_4519.JPG

On 6/17/2019 at 3:13 PM, rr4406pak said:

Update:

Due to the 2nd to last statement I would have to suggest you really take a deep look at your mags. Post some pics of the slide back and where the rounds are pointing. Also let us know your OAL of bullets, and front and rear feed lip dimensions. 

And now for something completely different 

it could be something binding/slowing the slide as it goes forward, check the disconnector if it’s hanging in the up position, the bottom of the breech face if there is a slight cut/radius which aids pushing the disconnector down, check the firing pin stop if it’s dropping down and hitting the hammer as it goes forward

for feeding issued I remove the recoil spring and guide rod, load a mag with dummy rounds and hand cycle the action

this will allow you to feel every bump and hitch in the feeding cycle and allow you to narrow it down

4f613bc1cf38fb7ce46875e2dde1dccb.jpg

I filed down the ejector because it was touching the top round. It’s been pretty good since I did the work.

9mm major but I’ve been shooting 9 minor ( 125ish pf) with 7lb spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Keith, I just saw you this weekend, Peter P.   My 9mm mags work in my limited gun but not in the DVC open.  Brazos makes an ejector that is already rounded in case you don't want to file your's down.  

Get a tuned extractor from Brazos and all your problems will disappear, happened to a friend of mine.

Posted (edited)

Suddenly I have begun having stovepipe jams with my STI DVC similar to those which have plagued others as described in the entries above. They have gone from intermittent to at least once with every mag. Attached is a photo from one today which is baffling: a live round in the chamber with the ejected empty casing trapped behind it in the ejection port facing backwards. It did this frequently during a match yesterday, i.e. put a live round in the chamber and trap the casing behind it in the port. How did that happen??

A local gunsmith has since tuned the ejector so that it throws the cases on a flatter trajectory, changed to a 8 lb recoil spring, tuned extractor, and test fired. Hopefully it will run in the match tomorrow. However, there are marks on the bottom of the SlideRide sight and mount so it appears the rounds are hitting them. I have ordered an RTS2. Hopefully that will resolve the issue once and for all.

Edited by CoyoteMW
unable to upload photo

8 hours ago, CoyoteMW said:

I have ordered an RTS2. Hopefully that will resolve the issue once and for all.

Fixed. 

17 hours ago, poortrader said:

I filed down the ejector because it was touching the top round. It’s been pretty good since I did the work.
9mm major but I’ve been shooting 9 minor ( 125ish pf) with 7lb spring.

Thanks for the suggestion Peter! I never thought of that.

How much did you have to remove from the bottom of the ejector? How much clearance should be there?

PS: Great seeing you at a the match.

Also, to jstagn, What would the Brazos do that the Aftec extractor doesn't? (and why would the extractor cause the FTF? The round never has a chance to reach the extractor...)

Keith,  like I said, I've been playing in Open.  You don't need to take that much off, just enough to see some daylight.   I think over time, the feed angles in mag changes, especially after changing springs and followers.   I didn't have this problem when I first got my DVC Open.  

As for my ongoing, never ending feeding problem.

Do you think a longer OAL would help/hurt the situation or shorter OAL to improve feeding?

So I have recently played the fix ejection game with a upright Cmore. what I found has made a big difference is slide velocity, if I use to much recoil spring and slow the slide too much the ejection gets erratic and I get the caught under mount jams, if I lighten the recoil spring and speed the slide up it stops having that issue. 

the extractor and ejector are tuned well in this gun to the point that it pretty much stacks brass in a pile when I shoot it

If I were you I would remove the dot and mount completely, run 100 rounds, see for any malfunctions. You can eliminate it being a gun only issue. Maybe file on your ejector to change your ejection angle. I did not have time to read all this so it's probably already been suggested. 

If you have other open buddies, see if you can steal a micro dot and mount just bolt it up and shoot it not even worth re-zeroing. Just shoot quick see if problems continue. 

Best of luck, nothing is more frustrating lol