Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Open gun ejection advice needed 9mm Major

rr4406pak

Just an update from my original post...

Four months later after a world class gunsmith tried to fix it:

-Aftec extractor was installed and tuned.

-Ejector filed and tuned.

-Found the chamber was out of spec and not machined properly, so he reamed it out to proper dimensions.

Result? Nothing but FTE jams. Can't make it through a single magazine without this:

DVC-3s.gif

DVC-2s.gif

DVC-1s.gif

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, rr4406pak said:

Just an update from my original post...

Four months later after a world class gunsmith tried to fix it:

-Aftec extractor was installed and tuned.

-Ejector filed and tuned.

-Found the chamber was out of spec and not machined properly, so he reamed it out to proper dimensions.

Result? Nothing but FTE jams. Can't make it through a single magazine without this:

DVC-3s.gif

DVC-2s.gif

DVC-1s.gif

sent mine back to STI and it has been over 2 months haven't heard anything. They won't return calls or emails. It is ridiculous how bad of service they have!

42 minutes ago, mro111lland said:

90 degree mount will solve all your problems

I've heard that the plastic Cmores on a 90 degree mount have trouble holding zero and that the Cmore company doesn't recommend mounting them that way.

Is there any truth to this?

34 minutes ago, rr4406pak said:

I've heard that the plastic Cmores on a 90 degree mount have trouble holding zero and that the Cmore company doesn't recommend mounting them that way.

Is there any truth to this?

A lot of us have found cmores don't hold zero well no matter how it's mounted.  Mount it how you want and check it often.

sent mine back to STI and it has been over 2 months haven't heard anything. They won't return calls or emails. It is ridiculous how bad of service they have!
I used to have these issues with my 9 open, and they were all gone after replacing the cmore slideride to RTS.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Steelix said:

Yep just put a RTS2 on it and be done with it. why would you want 90 degree slideride blocking your view. 

I have an RTS2 on my Trubor...  They are shorter.

The part of the slide mount that is contacting the cases in your pictures doesn't exist on an RTS2 mount because the sight is shorter...  I'm using the Brazos RTS2 mount on mine...  also a Brazos ejector...  and a Aftec extractor...

22 minutes ago, Steelix said:

Why would you want 90 degree slideride blocking your view. 

Currently because of cost.

I can find a 90 degree mount for around $70 and be up & running (or so I hope).

An RTS2 with the mount would be ~$450.

This gun is doing nothing but draining the bank (and I'd rather be putting $ into ammo).

56 minutes ago, rr4406pak said:

This gun is doing nothing but draining the bank (and I'd rather be putting $ into ammo).

I have a mount in the classifieds I’ll sell you for 30 bucks

3 hours ago, rr4406pak said:

I think Brazos has there mount and RTS2 for $399. If I remember right the code was in Front sight. 

Sell your original mount and optic separately. You’ll get 50 for the mount and 175-200 for the optic without breaking a sweat. Making the upgrade cost about 150$. If it’s not worth 150 to fix at this point I don’t know what to tell you. For me personally, I wanted a dvc but was aware of the possible issues. So I dropped that 150 at the front door and had a gun that ran perfect. Why Sti doesn’t go with it set up that way from the start is another conversation, but it will fix your problem as proven by tons of other people.

Removing the optic it's easy to see where the brass was impacting the Cmore & mount:angry::

Gun ran flawless without the optic on it (as many of you stated).

Brass ejection pattern was all over the place. Straight back, then perpendicular to the gun, then sometimes arcing high, sometimes no arc... no discernible pattern.

impact.JPG

I suggest filing 1/4 of the ejector's top half ( top right corner) at a 20 degree angle and 3/4 of its bottom half (bottom right corner) at a 60 degree angle. However, your measurements may differ from mine since they vary depending on how long your ejector is.

Edited by RonPogi

Can you take a pic of the ejector? I like to have a slight forward angle on the vertical face so it hits the case High and around 5 degree to the outside. If the extractor tension is adjusted properly with enough tension to hold case  it should eject straight out and not up. 

Sell your original mount and optic separately. You’ll get 50 for the mount and 175-200 for the optic without breaking a sweat. Making the upgrade cost about 150$. If it’s not worth 150 to fix at this point I don’t know what to tell you. For me personally, I wanted a dvc but was aware of the possible issues. So I dropped that 150 at the front door and had a gun that ran perfect. Why Sti doesn’t go with it set up that way from the start is another conversation, but it will fix your problem as proven by tons of other people.

I did the same thing. Didn’t fire a shot with the slideride on it. As soon as I got the gun on went a DPP and I never had ejection issues.

Hello: I had to change out the ejector since the original one was soft and kept bending. I used an EGW extended one and ground it flat so it ejects sideways. I also put in an Aftec extractor and cut one coil off the front spring. Lastly I changed out the firing pin stop and radiused the area where the Aftec touches. Check to see if the firing pin stop has a radius and try the Aftec with no front spring. This is with a STI factory upright mount and C-More slide ride. Thanks, Eric

Can you take a picture of the gun with the slide off and loaded magazine inserted.  I would like to see ejector shape and bottom clearance to the next round.

Are you running 1 or 2 springs with Aftec? I recommend 1 spring in the back position.  What is your recoil spring and is possibly binding and not allowing full slide movement?

Delta Point Pro is the easy fix.

I've had 0 issues since I put in an Aftec with 2 springs that are squished and a DPP. Also, since I'm a southie, with my thumb rest, I've had 0 issues. Ejector is stock and I use MBX mags 

image.jpeg

Edited by Bdh821