Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best 22 rimfire scope for precision rifle trainer

Alaskapopo

The best scope is a second scope just like the one you will be using on your centerfire rifle, lets you get used to the controls and sight picture. However, there are some cheaper options that do very well for the cost. I put an athlon argos BTR 6-24x on my 22 and have been very impressed with it. Some people swear by some of the fixed scopes (such as the SWFA 10x hd) for 22s as they are fairly cheap and offer good glass for cost.

***On a side note, my argos BTR might be for sale soon as I am selling the rifle it is sitting on***

Edited by MHitchcock

We use to run .22 LR precision tactical rifle matches around here.  Most of those guys including me would say that a side "focus" that will go down all the way to 25 yards is super important.

Personally have a Burris Tactical ~$900 and a "cheap" $400-$500 British scope.  Both can focus fairly close.  Both are FFP.  When I say focus technically it's the parallax knob. 

One of the big issues with rimfire scopes and his lack of elevation. One good one that doesn't break the bank is the super sniper which has something like 150 minutes of elevation or 30ish  mills of adjustment. 

Sightron fills this niche very well.  High magnification, lots of elevation and side focus that is much less than 25 yards.  1/8 MOA and .05 MIL adjustments.  I am currently running a 2nd FP which has to be run at 24X for reticle to be sized correct.  I usually dial out to 200 so not an issue for me.

You did say BEST and precision in the same sentance.  Look at the reviews on You Tube by Long Range Shooters of Utah  

I have a tangent theta 315P on my .22 trainer. It matches the scope on my centerfire. If you want to shoot precision inside of 50 yards then you need to carefully choose which scope to buy. If you are more concerned about long range then it doesn't matter much. I have dialed and gotten hits out to 340 yards with my setup.

• 1 month later...

I was recently looking at this. The new vortex pst gen 2 have some really good close focus. The 5-25 was 25 yds and the 3-15 was 20 if memory serves.  Looked through the glass on the 3-15 at a deal and was impressed by the quality. Not going to trade the S&B on my centerfires but really good. 

5 hours ago, Alaskapopo said:

Not really since most centerfire scopes don't adjust for parallax at the ranges we use 22 rifles most. Thanks for the effort.

Exactly how close are you shooting your 22 trainer rifle?

I have a few Remington 40X repeaters, three in AI chassis and one on a Manners T6A.  Just like their centerfire big brothers, they have Schmidt & Bender scopes on top.  My air rifle has a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR on top.  Just like the Schmidt & Benders, it adjusts down to 10 meters.

I put an Athlon Argos that I bought off the forum here on my trainer.  It's MIL/MIL, FFP like my XTR, focuses down to 10 or 15 yards and is way cheaper.  Different reticle unfortunately but I wasn't interested in spending that kind of money on a trainer.

On 9/10/2017 at 8:18 AM, TRG65 said:

I was recently looking at this. The new vortex pst gen 2 have some really good close focus. The 5-25 was 25 yds and the 3-15 was 20 if memory serves.  Looked through the glass on the 3-15 at a deal and was impressed by the quality. Not going to trade the S&B on my centerfires but really good. 

I'm currently using a 3-15 on a Kidd rifle.  The problem with the pst gen 2 is not a lot of adjustment.   I am two mils shy at 300 shooting center x with the 20 moa rail.  The 5-25 would be about 4 mils shy.  This of course is not a problem if you only shoot short distances. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 10:34 PM, Alaskapopo said:

Whats the best scopes for a .22 long rifle precision rifle trainer. 
Thanks

What distances will you be shooting at?

I have a 3.5-10x40 leupold vari on my cz .22lr. I think it was plenty of scope to reach out to 100 yards. I now have a 6.5-20x40 leupold and while nice, it makes shooting closer ranges much harder. The 3.5-10 is definitely a good magnification range.

At our rimfire PRS Match yesterday we had targets from 50-220 yards.

Most everyone was using FFP scopes.  Both the top 2 places were Remington 40X repeaters with the same scope (Steiner and S&B) and reticle as their centerfire big brothers.  Lots of Burris and Steiner scopes out there.

I shot a 5-25 and it stayed on about 15-17X for stages with movement/non-prone and maxed out to 25X for the prone stuff.

The Eley 22 Precision Rimfire Challenge last Saturday at Peacemaker in WV was a PRS-style match with targets ranging from 12 to 290 yards.

Sure, there were a lot of variable power scopes up to 27x but most ran them at 15x and less. If the OP's definition of "best" means optimum, what's the point of carrying more magnification, more weight and more cost than can be efficiently utilized?  I found 10x was actually more than enough for even the farthest targets and allowed quicker transitioning. A variable 10x with 2-3x at the bottom end would do away with parallax concerns. A good hashmarked reticle, whether mil- or MOA-based, is a must and gives the shooter the option to hold or dial as the target array or time element dictates.

I run a nightforce shv-f1 on my ruger 77/22 rimfire trainer.

I’m a bit of an odd duck, as 99% of you will never see a 77/22 on the line, much less one with a Walnut PWS trex thumbhole stock.

Edited by Alderleet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Took a picture of all four of my rimfire trainers this past week while doing some ammo testing before this weekends rimfire PRS Match.

Three of the four adjust down to 10 meters and the 5-20 Ultra Short adjusts down to 25 meters.

I have another 5-20 on an Anschutz 1727 and it only adjusts down to 25 as well.

I have a 3-20 on a Compass Lake AR-15 Service Rifle upper.  It adjusts down to 10 meters.

https://i.imgur.com/1BjYdDC.jpg

Edited by Tom Freeman

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 2:49 PM, Tom Freeman said:

Took a picture of all four of my rimfire trainers this past week while doing some ammo testing before this weekends rimfire PRS Match.

Three of the four adjust down to 10 meters and the 5-20 Ultra Short adjusts down to 25 meters.

I have another 5-20 on an Anschutz 1727 and it only adjusts down to 25 as well.

I have a 3-20 on a Compass Lake AR-15 Service Rifle upper.  It adjusts down to 10 meters.

Hmmm.  Picture didn't save.  Better now.

1BjYdDC.jpg