Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

97B"E" at 100 yards

Joe L

I get bored shooting bullseye practice at times, so I go shoot the pistols at 100 or 200 yards.  Yesterday was one of those days.  My eyesight wasn't good enough for tight groups with the open sight P-10C, so I got out the CZ-97B"E" with the 3 moa red dot and hung a B-8C target near the top of the frame at 100 yards, went back to the bench, fired off 5 rounds, went and placed a fresh target over the (6") group, turned on the cameras and went back to the bench and fired off 10 more rounds.  The aim point is maybe 18" above the target and out of the video frame.  Here is the result. 

100 yards 7-2-17 CZ-97

This pistol has a CGW 1911 style fitted bushing in the slide.  This is my bullseye match gun.  Atlanta Arms 185 gr JHP, same as I use in a bullseye match.  This was a good result for me, as good as my P-09 and 75B (with a CGW bushing). 

Joe

Hi Joe,  nicely done.  Many shooters have no idea what their pistol will do at distance and would be shocked to see what's possible with a little practice.  I've done a fair amount of shooting big bore revolvers at hundreds of yards.  Wiith the right setup to show your hits and someone to call your shots, you can seriously terrorize a 5 gal bucket at several hundred yards.  A man sized target would be in a lot of danger.  As always, trigger control and sight picture are key.  

Have you tried resting the pistol on top of bags instead of resting the butt on a hard surface?  In my experience, the pistol does better to recoil freely and doesn't skew the results.  Thanks for posting.  

BCP--Yes, I've tried supports under the dust cover and they don't work for me either.  I find that I fight the rest to get the sight lined up.  I seem to be able to control the pistol better with it not touching anything and my wrists on the rest.  I don't have to add or subract any tension that way, so it is easier for me to pull the trigger without moving the gun.  I've shot out to 200 yards with a wrist rest with good results many times (9-12" five shot groups with a 9mm).  The limitation to me seems to be to duplicate the dot position for each shot and then not move the gun as I pull the trigger.  I can see my heartbeat move the dot slightly even at 100 yards.  

Shooting long distances with a pistol is certainly a separate shooting discipline, and it helps me with bullseye skills just because it reinforces the fundamentals at a very slow shooting pace, and it is the perfect diversion from rigid bullseye training.  Thanks for your comments.

Joe   

No.  We shoot single hand standing at 25 and 50 yards.  Very different discipline than run and gun.  Single hand standing at 50 yards is quite humbling, at least in my case.  Shooting at 100 from a bench is just something I do when I want to try something a little different.  I also have some nerve and muscle damage in my left hand so that my two handed grip on the bench looks a little different than most also.  Here is a video of a normal bullseye training session with a 22 and the same .45 I shot in the 100 yard video. 

25 yard bullseye with Kadet and CZ-97

Joe