Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beware MaxxTech Brass

beechnutbob

Was loading 9mm major with 7.2 grains of CFE Pistol and when inserting bullet I noticed the case was almost filled to the top instead of about an1/4 inch below the top of the case.   Pulled the case and dumped the powder and this is what I saw.    Wonder what that would have done to the pressure curve.   Thought I would pass this on.   I have never seen a case like the inside of this one.    There is one other manufacture of brass that has a little step inside the case but not as large as this one.  The head stamp was MAXXTECH

IMG_5225.JPG

Also watch out for headstamps of Ammoload, IMT and FM. They all have a step, although not as significant at the maxxtech. Before I learned this lesson I had about a half dozen case head separations in my 9 major open guns. Now I cull these out prior to loading, and validate I didn't miss any as a QA step at the end before putting the loaded rounds in ammo boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would think that it would be fairly simple to make a different knurled part for a Dillon de-priming die that was thicker so that it would hit this step; The press would hit a hard stop, that would negate the need to manually check each case prior to loading.

IMG_1497.thumb.JPG.6b86a53bd5fee225ca86567bb95ce529.JPG

Hmmmm, you may be able to make major with a lot less powder as with the reduced interior volume, the pressures should still be the same with a reduced charge. The extra thickness will also support the higher pressures.  That is very interesting...... I would play around with it, by maybe reducing the charge to 5-6 gr and measure your velocities

Edited by abb1

1 hour ago, abb1 said:

Hmmmm, you may be able to make major with a lot less powder as with the reduced interior volume, the pressures should still be the same with a reduced charge. The extra thickness will also support the higher pressures.  That is very interesting...... I would play around with it, by maybe reducing the charge to 5-6 gr and measure your velocities

The cases tend to seperate at the step and leave the end of the case lodged in the chamber.

Look at it this way...You'll get alot more from the scrap dealer when you sell them. They have to weigh substantially more than regular brass....It's just weird, brass and bullets are the most expensive part of the cartridge...and this stuff is supposed to be bargain basement ammo...why spend the extra on excess brass for the case? It makes no sense.