Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum Barrels

ihocky2

Does anyone have experience with aluminum revolver barrels, similar to what Bruce Warren does. I am looking to have a barrel made for my open 929 and like the idea of the light weight aluminum. Does anyone make an already lined barrel blank, or is it pretty much using aluminum round stock and buying a 9mm liner?

I think the closest *factory* option would be a 327 TRR8/R* barrel, which is scandium with a liner.

You might also be interested in other options, myself and poggie had a couple of these barrels made for steel challenge. Carbon Fiber wrapped, the barrel underneath is very thin. Makes for a very light weight gun.

steel-challenge-open-627.jpg

I have seen some of the pictures of those and is one I am considering. One of the things I would like to do is either have machined in or be able to screw on something like Cheely's 2 port compensator. I know some feel it doesn't make a difference on minor loads, I have one of those on my 1911 for steel challenge and with the right load makes a noticeable difference in the amount the dot moves. This will be for steel challenge and ICORE, so I will still be running at least a 125 power factor.

If you have any ideas Poggie, I would be glad to discuss them.

3 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

Poggie, did you make the barrels or send out for them?  Someday I'd like to build a dedicated open revolver with something like that.

Currently, I am using a douglas blank, machining to whatever I need, then giving it to the carbon wrapping guy. I'm hoping to eventually be able to manufacture some barrels too, the shop is doing some wild things with expensive machines right now, so I'm pretty back burner to them. 

Both the rifle barrel shop I work with, and the carbon guy are local. Unfortunately, as Alec can attest, the best way to do it is if I have the gun, and can time the barrel and get the gap close and get it on the gun.   

If anyone is interested in getting this going over the winter we should talk about it now, that way it'll be ready to go and I can get a blank coming and it'll be ready for next season. 

I have a couple 617s with aluminum barrel with steel liner. They work well. I'd like to do a 627 and/or 929 for Open and Limited at some point. Sorry no photos on this puter