Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Stipple and Double Undercut

Lifeislarge

Thanks to another great deal from a forum member I finally got around to trying my hand at reworking a 2011 grip.  Reduced, double undercut and stippled.  I'd use a higher grit paper for the undercut next time as it was tedious getting the scratches out.  All in all I dig the feel and the way it looks so I'd definitely do it again.  The angle of the pic makes the trigger guard look weird but it's straight and there's plenty of meat left on the bone. 

IMG_9255.JPG

1 hour ago, v1911 said:

Did you keep a wrapped mag in it while stippling it to prevent any warpage or shifts in the mag chute dimensions?

No that would've been smart.  Lucky for me I went slow and didn't heat it up too much and cause any distortion.  I really just tried it to see if I could do it without making a complete mess.  Moving forward I'll know better what not to do to achieve better results.  As it stands it's fully serviceable, looks okay, and the stipple itself is grippy yet comfortable.  

9 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

how much time do you think you have invested in the job?

29 hours scanning the classifieds looking for a good deal on a grip that I could potentially turn in to a useless lump of molten plastic, and about three hours start to finish working on the grip and install.