Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning a 9mm PCC for factory ammo

In my view the first thing you need to know, whether it's factory ammo or handloads, is the velocity. When you know the speed you can calculate the power factor. I use JBM Calculations for the conversion. When you know your power factor you can adjust your bolt/buffer, and spring combination to suit your needs.

Generally speaking, the lower the PF the lighter the bolt/buffer can be. Springs require a bit more experimenting but you should find one that falls somewhere between the bolt/buffer slamming hard against the end ot the tube (spring too weak), or the bolt/buffer slamming hard against the barrel breech (spring too strong). This is were it is pretty much up to you as to how the gun feels when shooting. A correct spring choice will also have the bolt stopping within about a quarter inch past the bolt catch.

My current setup works like a charm with the following parts. Kaw Valley bolt (14.5 ounces), six ounce buffer (no stop). Sprinco extra power (red) spring. My load is at 128 PF.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/19/2018 at 6:05 PM, MikieM said:

In my view the first thing you need to know, whether it's factory ammo or handloads, is the velocity. When you know the speed you can calculate the power factor. I use JBM Calculations for the conversion. When you know your power factor you can adjust your bolt/buffer, and spring combination to suit your needs.

Generally speaking, the lower the PF the lighter the bolt/buffer can be. Springs require a bit more experimenting but you should find one that falls somewhere between the bolt/buffer slamming hard against the end ot the tube (spring too weak), or the bolt/buffer slamming hard against the barrel breech (spring too strong). This is were it is pretty much up to you as to how the gun feels when shooting. A correct spring choice will also have the bolt stopping within about a quarter inch past the bolt catch.

My current setup works like a charm with the following parts. Kaw Valley bolt (14.5 ounces), six ounce buffer (no stop). Sprinco extra power (red) spring. My load is at 128 PF.

What's the variable that I should be looking out for to see if the buffer is too heavy or too light for the load?