Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning a 9mm PCC for factory ammo

Er. that is the difference that I was trying to illustrate.  9mm NATO is 124 gr and comes in 50 round boxes.  What I bought is the 115gr 200 round value pack from wally world.

This:

758538.jpg

NOT this:

010_28.JPG

The head stamps on my wally world ammo are identical to the NATO pictured above, INCLUDING the crimped primer, but with a 115 gr bullet.

Edited by barrysuperhawk
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was buying the WWB 115gr ammo in 100rd boxes (for my Limited Minor gun) and then picked up the 200rd boxes when I got the PCC.  I noticed that the OAL on the 200rd boxes was longer than the 100rd boxes.   As in 1.150 vs 1.160+, and very consistently longer.  What is funny is that the 200rd packs, seem to have (2) of the 100rd packs on the inside, but the actual ammo in the boxes IS different. 

This is the headstamp on the 200rd boxes:

https://imgur.com/a/EIl1d

Edited by L9X25
54 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

PS....mine came from Wally World as well.

Yea, but you live in another country, I live in 'Merica.

I'm surprised that they still let you guys buy live ammo.

Edited by L9X25

Another couple of months and we will not be able to mail order ammo. So I have been buying a 1000+ rounds of the WWB ammo every couple of weeks and have a pretty good stock pile.

I actually live in Northern CA....still pretty conservative up here. But we are grossly outnumbered by the liberals who occupy the lower 3/4 of the state.

14 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

Another couple of months and we will not be able to mail order ammo. So I have been buying a 1000+ rounds of the WWB ammo every couple of weeks and have a pretty good stock pile.

I actually live in Northern CA....still pretty conservative up here. But we are grossly outnumbered by the liberals who occupy the lower 3/4 of the state.

All kidding aside, it's really sad what they are putting you guys through.  I have a friend that lives in Germany and would travel to Florida every few years, to visit family, and we always tried to coordinate his visits with a major match (Florida Open, Fl St, Area 6, etc).  He would tell me stories about their laws and what he has to do to legally keep his guns.  Sadly, Kalifornia is implementing (or considering) many of the same type of restrictions.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have a range report, without pictures or video, sorry.

First off, the JP carbine spring next to the stock ATI spring, holy crap!  Much MUCH heavier and stronger!!!  I guess I never really thought about how much heavier .308 springs would have to be, or ever cleaned the 308's that I have on the same day as the 223's to be able to compare.  I run a phase 5 bolt catch because it simplifies the unload and show clear process, and now it takes a bit of effort to actually lock the bolt open.  One of the other competitors that shoots PCC had had his CMMG buffer self destruct on him a couple weeks ago, so when I took mine out, I noticed that it was pretty beat up too. 

So, since our weekly league had it's classifier night on the 2nd of NOV, I signed up twice for CM-99 Melody Line .  The first run was with the bone stock ATI parts, and then for the second run I installed a JP bolt, Blitzkrieg buffer, and the JP 308 carbine spring I cut .7 seconds off my time the second time around with identical hits (9A, 3C)  While there are no douple taps on Melody line, I think that was as close of a head to head victory for the new parts as one could ask for.  This week we had a different match, with 4 headshot double taps, 4 full size targets, and a 6 plate rack.  I ran it twice, and subjectively felt that the dot tracked alot smoother.  On the first run I used 100 round (non-crimped primer) WWB 9mm 115's.  On the second run, for grins I used Winchester Ranger 124 +p Q4362 which is noticibly hotter even in the PCC.  It recoiled harder but maybe the extra oomph actually made the comp work a bit because my scores were virtually identical.

I will have to shoot it more, and maybe do a couple more back to back parts swap matches, but I think this combo is a winner so far.

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Good to hear Barry.

We have quite a few folks here at our local club who run the BK and .308 JP spring setup in their PCC rigs and all really like the way their rigs shoot.

You report is very simular to other folks...including myself...who have went this route. 

I am thinking of putting yet another PCC rig together and will be using the BK/JP .308 setup.

good luck on your next match.

I am worried I might have to machine my BHO a bit, but otherwise I am happy.  When I lock open now, the 308 carbine spring seems to be at 100% mechanical compression and I am just able to barley get it to engage.   I am going to see if I can convince Phase 5 to maybe machine one special for me with alot more meat on the business end since it is ONLY used for locking open during administrative loading and unloading, so I would like to move the point at which it physically engages the bolt a bit forward in the gun, and maybe shape the engagement area to be a bit more solid rather than just a point.  Maybe there is a market for that...

Barry, have you shot your setup (BK buffer and JP Carbine spring) with a non JP bolt? I know the JP bolts are really light(no rear mass). I ran their SCS for a little while with the mass taken out of my bolt and it was ok. Wasn't super soft shooting, but it functioned, and I just didn't have the time to tune it. When I switched over to the Blitz, I called Brian and asked him specifically what his take on the bolt mass issue with his buffer system was. Based on his recommendation I put the mass back in my bolt and have since left it there. I haven't shot the two options back to back to see if there is any felt recoil differences yet. Was just wondering if you have. 

Chris

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, barrysuperhawk said:

I am worried I might have to machine my BHO a bit, but otherwise I am happy.  When I lock open now, the 308 carbine spring seems to be at 100% mechanical compression and I am just able to barley get it to engage.   I am going to see if I can convince Phase 5 to maybe machine one special for me with alot more meat on the business end since it is ONLY used for locking open during administrative loading and unloading, so I would like to move the point at which it physically engages the bolt a bit forward in the gun, and maybe shape the engagement area to be a bit more solid rather than just a point.  Maybe there is a market for that...

Are you sure it is the spring?  I just got my BK buffer and first time running it in a match I noticed the piston setup in the buffer needs to be compressed to allow BHO.  The first couple times I had compressed the spring but wouldn't lock open; I was able to pull the CH just a bit more to compress the buffer piston and it locked open.  For the record I'm running a PSA BCG with the weight still attached. 

Also, based on my earlier readings/research, you may want to look at trying the AR-10 rifle spring on those full power loads to help with recoil.

• 1 month later...

I have a Freedom Ordnance 9mm carbine- changed out the spring to a 308 and the buffer to a 6.4 ounce- put a JP trigger in it and put on a limb saver airtech slip on recoil pad. Shoots 115 and 124 grain ammo like a champ with no jams- try it you will like it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2017 at 6:10 PM, BigBamBoo said:

I am not personally aware of any other hydraulic buffers made specifically for 9mm use. All I know is my rigs all have the Blitz and they work VERY well. YMMV

Have you ever chrono'd the WWB out of your GMR?   I find my barrel is slower than some of the others around.   I'm debating trying some factory ammo, as right now it's about as cheap as reloading it.

32 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Have you ever chrono'd the WWB out of your GMR?   I find my barrel is slower than some of the others around.   I'm debating trying some factory ammo, as right now it's about as cheap as reloading it.

Mine GMR-13 ran around 150pf with WWB.

with my Taccom I am at 144pf....not much of a loss with the 5 1/2” barrel.

Now that I have been shooting this combo for a couple of months, and have gotten used to the ridiculously heavy JP 308 carbine spring, I can report that either it now takes less effort than it did to lock open, or I have gotten used to it.  Since it has been cold/yuck out, all of my testing has been at an indoor match, under time.  I did try a couple hundred rounds of Federal AE 124 (AE9AP) that, for what it was, did seem to shoot marginally softer than the WWB 115, but not soft enough to justify the price difference.

• 1 month later...