Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Recoil System? JP SCS Gen 2 vs MBX PCC Buffer System

But yours has "muzzle flip" not just reward recoil. Again, I noticed this in my friends rig who was running the Q buffer vs my rig running the Taccom adjustable buffer. And I believe the tAccom is $75.00?   if it works for you, don't fix it. I was just commenting as you said you had no muzzle flip, but I noted there was. That was all.

Apparently your definition of muzzle rise differs from mine, because there isn't any appreciable muzzle rise. If the rifle was held level in the video you could see it more easily, so watch it slowed down below.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, BlackBuzzard said:

Not to drift the thread, but I find how I hold/grip the carbine has great effect on dot movement and recovery - shot to shot.

Lately I work on fast  pairs on steel at 24 yds, and Bill Drills on steel at a reasonably challenging distance......refining how I hold and trigger the PCC.

Yes, so true.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:32 PM, nickbfishn said:

I ordered a sample of the h10 & h11 and got both. The diff is the height. I was afraid the 11 would be to tall, but it actually works just like max had described. The bolt comes back under normal tension to maybe a half inch past trigger reset. If I pull real hard I can make it move about another 1/4". 

With the h10 it came back about 3/4-1" past reset under light tension and about another 1/4" under hard tension.

if you want to try the H10 I'll send it to you. 

Nick, would love to try the H10 if you still have it and don't mind sending it out.  I would be glad to pay you any costs.  Please let me know.  

Thanks

Mike

1 hour ago, 10cup said:

Nick, would love to try the H10 if you still have it and don't mind sending it out.  I would be glad to pay you any costs.  Please let me know.  

Thanks

Mike

Hello: He was going to send it to me to try but it has not arrived yet. I will post results when I test it out. Thanks, Eric

12 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

So the folks who run bolts with the removable weight are you removing the weight or keeping it? I only have JP bolts in my current rigs, but will be adding a QC10 bolt to a new rig and I know that has the removable weight.

Hello: You have to remove the weight for the JP captured spring buffer. I tried using a bolt with the weight removed and found I needed more weight in the standard buffer setup. I made an aluminum plug to replace the steel one to make the weight almost the same as a JP bolt and it worked great. Total weight of buffer and bolt should be in the 18-20 oz range for reloads at 130-138PF is what I like the most. Your results may very and cause dizziness, sleepless nights and all that other stuff. Thanks, Eric

59 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

So the folks who run bolts with the removable weight are you removing the weight or keeping it? I only have JP bolts in my current rigs, but will be adding a QC10 bolt to a new rig and I know that has the removable weight.

It really depends on the weight of your BCG. I have the JP bolt in my gun and I like all four tungsten weights with the smalley M 11 wave spring.  Eric goes the other direction I know but may have a different weight bolt? FYI my JP BCG weighs 13.3oz

Yes, I have switched from the SCS to the Blitzkrieg buffer. I find it shoots much softer and flatter than the SCS...at least in stock form.

one of my rigs has the older JP bolt that had the removable weight which I removed when I installed the SCS. I happened to notice that I never replaced it when going to the new buffer set up. It runs perfect without the weight and the buffer/spring combo I have now so I am not going to mess with it.

I was just wondering about the folks who are NOT using a SCS if they keep the weight in the bolt or if they are removing the weight.

Edited by BigBamBoo
1 hour ago, BigBamBoo said:

Yes, I have switched from the SCS to the Blitzkrieg buffer. I find it shoots much softer and flatter than the SCS...at least in stock form.

one of my rigs has the older JP bolt that had the removable weight which I removed when I installed the SCS. I happened to notice that I never replaced it when going to the new buffer set up. It runs perfect without the weight and the buffer/spring combo I have now so I am not going to mess with it.

I was just wondering about the folks who are NOT using a SCS if they keep the weight in the bolt or if they are removing the weight.

Oh, sorry I guess I didn't understand your question.  Good luck with the project.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: I tried out the Smalley CS100-M10 spring with the JP green spring and 3 steel weights with one tungsten. It is softer than my regular JP buffer setup but my splits are actually slower. I am going to try a lighter weight JP spring and see how that works out. Thanks, Eric

9 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

... I am going to try a lighter weight JP spring and see how that works out. Thanks, Eric

Wouldn't a lighter spring make it cycle slower?  

The same combo in my gun works very well with the green spring, but that's with the 5.25" taccom barrel.

2 hours ago, nickbfishn said:

Wouldn't a lighter spring make it cycle slower?  

The same combo in my gun works very well with the green spring, but that's with the 5.25" taccom barrel.

Hello: I also tried it on a SBR with a 4.5" barrel and it feels sluggish as well. It is kinda weird feeling like you are waiting on the bolt so you can pull the trigger. Maybe more of a delay. It is hard to explain, more of a feel thing. Maybe a lighter spring will help it cycle back faster with the Smalley spring pushing it faster forward. I may try some different weight setups also. Thanks, Eric

Does anyone know where to get the Smalley H7 and M11 springs at a reasonable price? I've tried getting a sample a couple times but for no response from them and someone in here said they stopped doing samples.   I asked for a quote to buy them they were around $35 a piece

30 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: That is a pretty heavy spring. The CS100-M10 is only 16 in/lbs and the CS100-M11 is only 14 in/lbs. Thanks, Eric

I must have missed something. The one Max originally posted was 25 lb rated load http://www.smalley.com/wave-spring/cs100-h7

Heres one at 12 lb for those wanting lighter and still 1" OD https://www.amazon.com/Multiwave-Washers-Stainless-Spring-Capacity/dp/B0085ZP0CU/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1504054480&sr=1-2&keywords=multiwave+washer%2C+1"+diameter

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, wyliearms said:

Not sure if anyone has brought it up or not but I have been very happy with the Armaspec 9mm SRS : http://armaspec.com/product/stealth-recoil-spring/ I have had very good luck with them.

This thread reads like a whos who in buffer build outs, its is great read tho,...This config looks simple Wylie, what weight did you go with out of curiosity and are you shooting low PF reloads or factory? There are 5 options I see.

Thanks, O1

This thread reads like a whos who in buffer build outs, its is great read tho,...This config looks simple Wylie, what weight did you go with out of curiosity and are you shooting low PF reloads or factory? There are 5 options I see.
Thanks, O1

Carbine with 3.0 grains of Clean Shot under a 147 for SC. SRS-9 for factory style loads. You can buy the system and then add the 9mm weight so that you can build your recoil setup to your style of shooting. It takes 2 minutes to adjust and I do not run the buffer retainer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thanks for that...just mounted up a new Wilson Arms barrel...and I just ordered the SRS 9 / 5.4 oz...I am runnging a weighted Spinta bolt that I dont "think" i could de-weight it if needed...so the current config is a KAW 7.5 oz buffer...a little clunky and noisy...hopefully this new one wont hit the back end of the buffer...i do have the NFA plug, but it would not work on the current config...hopeful for any improvement.....thx again.

Ok guys, I have just began to experiment with this. Got a taccom buffer on the way and using quarters to measure how much I can shorten the stroke.  I think I have $3.5 in there and the stroke stops just far enough to reset the trigger plus a little.  But the bolt doesn't lock back now with the bolt catch. I don't use a magazine stop and don't thin I need the bolt to lock back. More interested in the shorter stroke.  Just making sure this is what's normal for the adjustment. Taking quarters back out to allow the bolt to lock back makes for a stoke about an inch or more past trigger reset.