Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Recoil System? JP SCS Gen 2 vs MBX PCC Buffer System

Just now, KzBoost said:

Dang, That's a bummer. Guess I'll have to figure something else out. We're only allowed 10rds in our mags here when we compete, so there are a ton of mag changes. LRBHO is kinda useful in a lot of those situations so I kinda wanna keep that feature. Time to experiment I guess.+

You could always run a .223 SCS and throw the M11 in there... Use 3x tungsten

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, KzBoost said:

Did not know that was even possible... Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

The ONLY difference between the .223 and the 9mm SCS is that the 9mm weight carrier is extended to hold 4 cylinders instead of 3. This simultaneously takes care of the extra travel you gain from going from the extended .223 bolt/carrier design to the flat face one piece bolt for 9mm.

You can experiment with any buffer setup as long as you know you're not getting overtravel, which will lead to the bolt's "gas key" slamming against the lower receiver or hitting the charging handle internally. Both of which can lead to gas keys shearing screws which you may have heard of.

37 minutes ago, Hammer002 said:

So for those of us on a lower budget, how is this stacking up in the conversation?

https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-pcc-adjustable-buffer-system/

Works well.  See Tim's post a page or two back.  

I spent a few hours on the range the other day with Tim's buffer and also a .223/5.7 oz. buffer.  I also switched the buffer and the springs around a bit.  I landed with Tim's stock setup.

.223/5.7 = softer stroke feel

Tim's = snappy, but comes right back.

Easy to get carried away with all of this.  In the end I went with what felt right to me.  Neither was such a marked improvement over the other that it was going to increase my shooting ability or scores.

18 minutes ago, gnhowell1 said:

Just tried the CS100-M11 behind the JP SCS in my gmr-13... Definitely less dot movement, however, putting the gun together was difficult and I'm not sure how to get it back apart...

Any suggestions Max?

I'm curious as to what made it hard to put back together?

3 hours ago, longbeard said:

I spent a few hours on the range the other day with Tim's buffer and also a .223/5.7 oz. buffer.  I also switched the buffer and the springs around a bit.  I landed with Tim's stock setup.

Easy to get carried away with all of this.  In the end I went with what felt right to me.  Neither was such a marked improvement over the other that it was going to increase my shooting ability or scores.

147's? or 124's?.....I'm gonna bet 124's cause you said snappy....which is the intent, snappy but with the 2nd stage the buffer hits the back lighter (if at all) and comes right back......it balances everything out so that the dot comes back to POA before you can pull the trigger again.

Edited by TRUBL
22 minutes ago, gnhowell1 said:

Compressing the SCS.  The weights move fine but then pressing capture rod back enough to clear the rear of the carrier.

That's precisely what I thought you might say. 

So now (I'm assuming) as the gun is sitting assembled the capture rod of the SCS is probably already into the back of the carrier? 

That's precisely what I thought you might say. 

So now (I'm assuming) as the gun is sitting assembled the capture rod of the SCS is probably already into the back of the carrier? 

You have to remove the front hinge pin, slide the upper into position, lock in rear pin then install front hinge pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

You have to remove the front hinge pin, slide the upper into position, lock in rear pin then install front hinge pin.

That works on some guns but not the gmr13 with the billet lower as it gets thinner right after the rear pin...

Edited by gnhowell1

That works on some guns but not the gmr13 with the billet lower as it gets thinner right after the rear pin...

Unless your lower is out of spec it will work. As you can see in the photo, there is nothing blocking you from doing exactly what I described. The upper will be slightly forward of the lower, then push straight back.

d39b75e0593e6318dc2f90f10960a157.jpeg

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

147's? or 124's?.....I'm gonna bet 124's cause you said snappy....which is the intent, snappy but with the 2nd stage the buffer hits the back lighter (if at all) and comes right back......it balances everything out so that the dot comes back to POA before you can pull the trigger again.

Yup, 124s.  They make the dot return quickly, its a quick and sharp felt recoil with a snappy return.  A 223 spring and buffer is a softer feeling recoil, but slower return.  At least that's what it felt like to me.  I enjoy your system and think it's smartly designed and a great price.

1 hour ago, 1911luvr said:

Unless your lower is out of spec it will work. As you can see in the photo, there is nothing blocking you from doing exactly what I described. The upper will be slightly forward of the lower, then push straight back.

d39b75e0593e6318dc2f90f10960a157.jpeg

I'm telling you, it doesn't work as described in mine or my buddies.  The legs on the upper are wider than the gap in the lower in front of the pin.  It will go forward 1/4" and then it contacts the narrowing gap in the lower.

You can see how it's narrower above the safety.  The upper legs will not fit in there.

Edited by gnhowell1
57 minutes ago, gnhowell1 said:

I'm telling you, it doesn't work as described in mine or my buddies.  The legs on the upper are wider than the gap in the lower in front of the pin.  It will go forward 1/4" and then it contacts the narrowing gap in the lower.

You can see how it's narrower above the safety.  The upper legs will not fit in there.

Wow that is interesting and I can see what you mean, my GMR-15 is that way too.  Lug on the rear upper is .510 wide and the lower where it narrows is only .435 so you have a .075 interference fit there and I don't think I want to grind on my lower with a dremel tool!  Not a big deal in a mill but by hand that's quite a bit to remove.  

Now how do you get your SCS "rod" to move back so you can get the upper off is the question for sure!

Edited by 10cup
24 minutes ago, 10cup said:

Now how do you get your SCS "rod" to move back so you can get the upper off is the question for sure!

I hadnt taken a tube off in a while so my memory is vague, but can you remove the buffer tube without having to take the gun down? Otherwise, it seems like you're in a pickle for sure.

5 hours ago, gnhowell1 said:
7 hours ago, gnhowell1 said:

Compressing the SCS.  The weights move fine but then pressing capture rod back enough to clear the rear of the so you carrier.

so you put it together without the buffer retainer? I would imagine if that is the case, your only option is to unscrew the buffer tube and take the pressure of your buffer.

13 minutes ago, Gary H. said:

so you put it together without the buffer retainer? I would imagine if that is the case, your only option is to unscrew the buffer tube and take the pressure of your buffer.

No buffer detent used with the SCS. That's how it shipped from the factory.

12 hours ago, gnhowell1 said:

Just tried the CS100-M11 behind the JP SCS in my gmr-13... Definitely less dot movement, however, putting the gun together was difficult and I'm not sure how to get it back apart...

Any suggestions Max?

Remove (or break, if you dont want to unscrew buffer tube) buffer detent pin. Remove hammer before installing or removing SCS. I got REALLY quick at removing my hammer and putting it back in at the range.

If your hammer is low enough there may be a way where you can shove the SCS in kind of easily if you get the angle correct but getting it out is hard.

Hold up why are you guys having your SCS rod stick out further than normal?? You're supposed to put the smalley spring IN the SCS, not behind it. The overall profile of the SCS doesn't change at all once it's installed.

19 hours ago, longbeard said:

Thanks.  I thought that was the case, but wanted to be sure we were talking about the same thing.  Thanks for the input too.  Thinking I will be going the Taccom route.