Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
GrumpyOne

Freedom Ordnance FX-9

Can't help you there, sorry. I have to imagine that a PCC is more forgiving than, say, a Glock, though...?

Update on the mag situation: I found what works best for me is a Glock brand 33-rounder with stock guts and a Henning basepad. This lets me load up 35 without too much swelling so everything feeds fine (though I do have to pull the mag out as it doesn't always drop free). I'm carrying two MagPul 21-rounders for reloads, and I start with one of those in the gun if I know that I'll need to reload around the middle of the stage as they do drop free. I also have a pair of Glock 17-rounders with generic aluminum G42 basepads (they're huge) just for Classifier use.

One other question: are the barrels on these proprietary? I assume other brands of 9mm AR barrel would work since they take other handguards but figured I'd ask...

Proprietary barrels

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I looked at them when I first started looking into getting a PCC. I quickly ruled them out after discovering that they weren't standardized to the AR platform or anywhere near mil-spec. I liked the price point, I didn't like the idea that I couldn't just swap out uppers. Say I wanted to build a 16" upper to fit to a pistol lower or swap out anything other than the trigger or furniture.

I went with a Foxtrot Mike's build instead. Bought their build kit (upper, lower & 8.5" M-lok handguard) from Primary Arms for $200 on sale. They also have complete side-charging pistols for around $500(sale price)-$550 (regular price) if that's what you're into. Then I bought a CMMG Guard 8" barrel & bolt for around $300 on sale from Optics Planet. SBA3 pistol brace was bought locally and comes with a buffer tube. All of the other pieces were stolen from my M&P-15 (trigger, charging handle, buffer & spring) and I'm slowly replacing them as I see something I like go on sale.

So, I built a superior shooting and lightweight 9mm AR pistol for roughly the same price of an FX-9 and almost everything can be replaced with standard AR hardware. I just signed up for daily email alerts and gathered my parts over the course of a few weeks. When something dropped in price, I snagged it up. I'm not seeing the Foxtrot Mike's build kit listed anymore as a package deal but all of those same parts are still out there between Brownell's, Optics Planet and Primary Arms. Those are their main distributors as FM products doesn't sell their parts directly to the public. 

Look around, there are better options at a better price point. Foxtrot Mike's also has probably the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. 

So I’m having, really bad feed issues with mine. Seems strange that there is about a 1 centimeter gap that each round has to jump from the feed ramp to the chamber.

I’m getting misdeeds about a third of the time. I’ve tried various different brands and loads of ammo, which does not seem to make any difference.

I use round nose 9mm ammo in my FX9 with no feeding issues, too.

Acme 145gr RN coated bullets, to be exact.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mine was never picky on ammo. The only issues I had was with empty magazines having a tight fit. That was solved with a bit of filing (cleaning of magwell) and sanding some of the plastic coating off the Glock magazines. The other issues I had was using stepped brass like the one used by ammoland. They would split right at the step. 

Never had any ammo problems with mine

The barrel extension on my fx-9 is only 12 millimeters. Which leaves a 10 millimeter gap between the feed ramp and the chamber. Is that normal?

So, I polished up the surfaces around the opening to the chamber on the back of the barrel, all the surfaces on the front of the bolt that contact the round, and the feed ramp. Then I swapped out the buffer for a standard 9mm 5.4oz buffer to slow things down a bit and this thing is humming along great now. Even with short stubby hollow points.

On 1/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, Schott said:

So, I polished up the surfaces around the opening to the chamber on the back of the barrel, all the surfaces on the front of the bolt that contact the round, and the feed ramp. Then I swapped out the buffer for a standard 9mm 5.4oz buffer to slow things down a bit and this thing is humming along great now. Even with short stubby hollow points.

Do you by chance know what weight buffer came in it?

On 2/3/2019 at 9:54 PM, cityofthesouth said:

Do you by chance know what weight buffer came in it?

It came with a standard H buffer.