Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Home Protector PCC

Hello Everyone!

It appears that my very reliable 100% function 9mm PCC has been drafted by the wife as her home defender firearm. That being said it has seen over a few thousand standard velocity 115gr & 124gr factory loading's fired which all hit to the same POI out to 25 yards which would be the longest engagement distance she would face. So that said we were looking for a reduced penetration, high damage load and found that the Federal 115gr BPLE +P+ loading does massive damage to coyotes out to 50 yards basically causing a wound most humans would not get up from and we have tentatively settled on that load as it is very accurate and reliable from the Spinta 16" 1-16 twist Nitrate barrel.

Now the current set up runs a Spinta 9mm Nitrate bolt which runs 15.5 ounces with a Kaw Valley Precision 7.5 ounce SS buffer with a Kaw Valley Precision  Pistol caliber carbine XP spring. The muzzle velocity over 100 rounds fired is 1625 to 1644FPS which I have no clue what power factor that may work out to be but I was wondering if my set up can handle this loading over a few 1000rd cases fired or maybe I should beef things up a bit.

If anyone has a few pictures on what bolt or breech face wear or damage looks like please post them so I can keep a eye out for it.

Suggestions?

Hello: I would take a look at the end of the barrel and see if the bolt is battering it. You may be able to go a little heavier on the buffer and see how that does. I think the spring you have is actually just a 308 carbine spring. At 1625fps with a 115 grain bullet that will do a lot of damage and may not be the best for a house gun load. You may want to look at some subsonic loads. Thanks, Eric

Do some penetration testing on wall board, multiple walls if possible.  A 9 will zip through walls very easily.  I remember when our department had CCI Speer come in and they had done some testing for us.  Folks considered the 9 to be weak.  Far from it with the proper ammo.  It opened well , but zipped through walls much more than the 45 acp.  If it is a life and death matter, and you have family members in the same house, or even living in an apartment, you got to know what your ammo will do.  I have seen to many drive by victims that were small children.

Good luck and be safe

Actually we did, we had a couple of AR's long before PCC was even thought of.  We were getting 1310 with the plus P plus  duty ammo out  of our 17's.  The suggestion that I gave was only something to consider.  I could give some other suggestions as well, but I will stop.  Good luck.

Actually we did, we had a couple of AR's long before PCC was even thought of.  We were getting 1310 with the plus P plus  duty ammo out  of our 17's.  The suggestion that I gave was only something to consider.  I could give some other suggestions as well, but I will stop.  Good luck.

You got over 1650fps from a 9? I understand 1300 from the 17. And 223 AR will be well over 2000fps
1 hour ago, Scootertheshooter said:

You got over 1650fps from a 9? I understand 1300 from the 17. And 223 AR will be well over 2000fps

I ahot some 9MAJOR through mine that probably went well over that. I get 1510 out of my Open gun so do the math for a 16" barrel. It was brutal though. lol

I ahot some 9MAJOR through mine that probably went well over that. I get 1510 out of my Open gun so do the math for a 16" barrel. It was brutal though. lol

That I understand I guess I may have Miss understood . I wouldn't have thought CCI had factory ammo that made over 200pf from a PCC